Breed question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
Hello, we are looking at adopting a rabbit, and it just says he's a lop eared mix, he looks just like this:

http://www.celebratingrabbits.com/stories/chester.html

So I know it's definitely a lop, and it has the scattered black and white markings, just like in these pictures

How do I know what kind of lop it is though? If it's a Holland, Mini, etc.? Could it be either based on these markings? Is there a certain kind of lop that looks like this? I asked what he weighed to try to get a better idea, but they weren't sure.

Anyway, if we do adopt him, I just thought it might be helpful to know exactly what breed he is.

It is a broken black (colour)
Where are you located? It could be a dwarf, mini or holland :( you need to know the weight to determine as well

Where are you located? It could be a dwarf, mini or holland :( you need to know the weight to determine as well

Located in the US. I wondered that too, if we don't know weight we might not know exact breed. Either way we really like him and want to adopt him. He's a 2 hour drive away so I am trying to get as much info about him as possible before we make the drive, and weight was one of the questions I asked that they said they didn't know. They did comment that he's a little larger than a mini lop, that's all I know unfortunately

Looks to be a holland lop to me and your in the U.S where you can get them (I'm in Aus and can't get one)

It could be holland or dwarf doesn't really have he body of a mini lop... I believe it is a holland but others might have other opinions :)

I might say mini just because of his face and how long his ears are but weight may tell more. Not always though as sometimes the weight difference between Hollands and minis can be a gray area.

He definitely doesn't look big enough to be a french lop.

Holland lop and dwarf lop are the same things Hollands are ARBA and dwarf is BRC

I sort of agree with you but to me it sort of looks like Holland/dwarf :)

I may be wrong tho :( but I breed minis and it doesn't really look mini to me personally... Maybe a cross breed?

Aw looking at the pics again it does sort of look like a mini :)

That link I attached wasn't of the actual rabbit we're adopting, sorry I should have been more clear, it just looks like the one we're adopting. After looking more and realizing there a lots of bunnies with those markings, I thought it would be better to post pictures of the actual rabbit we're getting, instead of one that just looks similar.

Here's picture of the actual rabbit we're getting (tomorrow, yay!). Can anyone tell what kind of a lop he is? Like I said, they don't know his weight, he's 2 years old.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/lily2521/1.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/lily2521/2.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/lily2521/3.jpg

I'm in love with him already though!

He looks like my Pippi, and I'm pretty sure she's a Holland Lop. She weighs 4 pounds, but my lands, he looks just like her! They could be siblings! What a cutie!

Pippi is adorable! They do look a lot alike!!

We got bun home today, he weighs 5 lbs. I'm guessing Holland, but still not sure. Have a vet appointment for him next week.

5 lbs is big for a holland I think? Not 100% though.

Last edited:
I would say dwarf lop they are bigger than Hollands and minis so yeah my guess would be dwarf :)

Yep, I am thinking you're right. I looked up weight for mini and dwarf, and I definitely think dwarf now based on weight. Unless ..(to complicate things more!) it's possible that he's a mini that's overweight?...his previous owners fed mainly pellets and minimal hay. He has a vet appointment later this week so I'm going to talk to the vet about that.

I've never heard of dwarf lops. Does that breed exist in the United States?

I've never heard of dwarf lops. Does that breed exist in the United States?

Good question, I'm so confused, ha.

Someone earlier in this thread said that Holland and dwarf are the same, with Holland being the ARBA breed, so maybe Holland is the better wording to use since I'm in the US?

But then I google Holland, and it says weight is about 4 lbs. while the lop I have weighs 5 lbs. Based on weight alone I thought mini, but others are saying he doesn't look like a mini...so I'm just confused!!!

In Australia we call them dwarf lops and mini Lops :) I don't know if Hollands and dwarfs are the same but I think dwarf lop. I don't think they are the same tho as they are different weights and stuff :( confusing hahaha :)

I think it's different because here in Australia we follow BRC Standards and in America it's the ARBA.

I think I read somewhere that our Dwarf Lop is Americas Mini Lop and our Mini lop is Americas Holland Lop.

Back