How much Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I know they get unlimited but how much hay does a small rabbit eat per month? I would like to only pick up hay monthly :)

My preference is a holland lop but a 5 lb rabbit is our max.

A rabbit should eat its body size (not weight) in hay every day. Expect a certain amount of wasted hay. They will pick through the strands of hay and choose whatever pieces they like (for some reason).

BTW, is there a reason that you don't want to go over 5 lbs for a rabbit? Or is it just a preference?

due to the size of the space I am working with its better to get a smaller rabbit, plus I just have a soft spot for smaller rabbits.

This doesn't mean I am trying to stuff a rabbit in a teeny cage, I am looking at an extra large dog crate. It will be at least an 8 sq ft cage.

Ahh... curious. Just so you know, the smaller rabbits tend to have higher energy and so they tend to need at least as much space as larger rabbits (or more).

Rabbits also need more out of cage time than guinea pigs. Take a peek here for relationship of cage size and out-of-cage time.

yes I know. Its mostly personal preference. I just don't want a huge rabbit.

we may eventually switch the rabbit to constant free roam in that bedroom once its completely litter trained. I can't risk urine all over the carpet.

Also that says nothing about activity level, cage size relative to size or even what size cage they recommend for a rabbit who has a lot of out time.

Also my question was never answered, How many Lbs roughly should I be looking at purchasing monthly?

Nobody can really answer that.... It depends on the rabbit.
Some eat a lot, some only eat a little. Some people go through a 40lb bale in a few months. Others may only go through a single flake in the same amount of time.
Any given that hay is extremely variable the same rabbit may eat a lot more from 1 batch then the next.

I was hoping for a rough number. I guess I will start out with about 5 lbs a month and see where we end up.

Also that says nothing about activity level, cage size relative to size or even what size cage they recommend for a rabbit who has a lot of out time.

It breaks it down in 3 columns -- rabbits with little time out (1-2 hours per day), lots of time, and those that are always out.

Then each column explains what size cage is recommended for each of those time amounts.

Those cage sizes and time amounts spent out of cage apply to all rabbits regardless of the size of the rabbit. (Only exception would be the giant breeds of rabbit that are generally kept free range or in an x-pen.

I have two rabbits. One is about 5 lbs and the other about 3.5. Between the two of them I go through ~ 20 lbs of hay ~ every 3 months. It's definitely variable depending on the rabbit and on how much hay gets wasted and ends up on the bottom of the litterbox.

It breaks it down in 3 columns -- rabbits with little time out (1-2 hours per day), lots of time, and those that are always out.

Then each column explains what size cage is recommended for each of those time amounts.

Those cage sizes and time amounts spent out of cage apply to all rabbits regardless of the size of the rabbit. (Only exception would be the giant breeds of rabbit that are generally kept free range or in an x-pen.

It says "
eir enclosure can be somewhat smaller. NIC cubes and/or exercise pens can be used to make cages that don't quite meet the 30 square foot minimum but are still easily triple the size of those 'envisioned' cages. Since bunny isn't confined all day, such a cage can suffice"

That does not give a square footage.

Honestly if the rabbit gets free time a cage that has room for the rabbits litter box. Bowls. And room to stretch out... Thats more then plenty.
A wire dog crate is fine.

Thank you, I plan to rabbit proof the room so it can come out and play with me. If its pet proofed can it be left unattended outside the cage in there?

I will post pictures when its done :)

Depends how pet proofed. And depends on the rabbit lol. My lion-lops who are 3lbs can jump 36" no issues so if theres only a 2-3ft barrier between them and something that looks like fun....
No guarantees! Bunnys are demons in disguise.

LOL there wont be room to hop back there the filters will take all the room ... and the cords are all behind the tanks.

Maybe buy more tubing and wrap the cords? They will literally be the only dangerous thing in the room everything else will be up.

I just bought the cage. 42x27 floor space.

The room will literally just be pets. 2 aquatic turtles ( hence the cords) , One short tailed opossum in a secure cage, one gecko in a secure terrarium that will be on an end table, and the rabbit.

It says "
eir enclosure can be somewhat smaller. NIC cubes and/or exercise pens can be used to make cages that don't quite meet the 30 square foot minimum but are still easily triple the size of those 'envisioned' cages. Since bunny isn't confined all day, such a cage can suffice"

That does not give a square footage.

Just under 30 square feet or "triple the size" of the small cages. Small cages being roughly 6 square ft or less. So very roughly more than 18 square feet. It is not an exact science.

My current rabbits are allowed to free range even when no one is home. I did not do this until the bunny proofing had been thoroughly bunny-tested. Sometimes it may take them a few weeks to discover weak areas of the bunny-proofing.

But once you are fully confident with the bunny-proofing, then they can certainly be out when you aren't there to watch. (depending on the bunny) :)

all the small cages I have seen are barely pushing 4 ft ... If you are lucky. But I guess things are different in the U.S.

I do wish the room had linoleum floors or something easy to clean urine off of. But with carpet ... I can't even do an xpen surrounding the cage.

You could lay some rolled linoleum on top of the carpet -- you'd just have to be sure that the edges of the lino are beyond the pen walls or bunny would chew it.

I've had occasion to take my rabbits to hotels or cabins with carpet. I would put down a heavy duty tarp and then put a cheap fleece blanket on top of that. That would also protect the carpet.

100_8360.jpg

Thats a great idea :) I will start with the cage and work on expanding in time :)

I need time to learn hands on.

Back