How long does dominant behavior goes on for ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickMourre

Reaction score
Good morning,

We have two healthy 7 months old female sisters mini-rex, for the past few weeks they've been "humping" each another an creating quite the commotion at night in their cage.

Doing a little research online I believe this is part of establishing dominance. Is this correct ?

My other question is; for how long will this behaviour go on for?

thank you,
Richard

They are hormonal and they should not just be left to "work it out." The aggression can escalate and can turn into an all-out fight. Rabbit fights can cause serious injury and even death. So please do not take this lightly.

Females, spayed or not, can be quite territorial. It is not unusual for bunnies that used to be best buddies to turn on each other while hormonal. Rabbits that are left intact can actually have hormonal behavior become ingrained. Then they would always behave that way.

If they are having serious tussles, they should be separated immediately. Then you could consider spaying them (if not already) and then trying to go through a bonding process. If they are both intact and are allowed to continue to tussle, then they may not even bond after spaying.

yes.... I'm looking into getting them spayed.

Currently in between their "moments" they'll sit together, rub noses, groom each other and even cooperate in some light mischief.
Until I can get an appointment with the vet I think I won't put them in their cage at night, but instead let them roam free in the "secure" kitchen, that way if one gets annoyed she can hop around.

I suppose I should get both of them spayed at the same time?

regards,
Richard

It would be good to spay them at the same time. Then keep them in separate cages while their stitches heal. Allow time for hormones to dissipate and then follow a bonding process.

Interested to know how things work out.

In the past I had two spayed females and the territorial aggression never faded.

Right now I have a new female addition (spayed) to the tribe, and I really want these two females to work out.:headflick:

Just an update....

Last Friday I brought the two bunnies at the vet for a Pre op check up, they're both healthy and surgery is scheduled for Nov. 7th.

In the mean time I don't cage them anymore. At night and when nobody's home they stay in the kitchen pen which is about 10'X3' all other times they get full run of the kitchen and that's made a big difference.

regards,
Richard

Latest posts

Back