Nail Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone allreaday gave excellentadvice.I did one one my neices mini rex and i cut her till she bledtwice.i have been doing this for years.i havent cut a rabbit inyears.if you cut them too short dont panic it looks like a lot of bloodbut it doesnt hurt them.bluebird

bluebird wrote:
Ithink everyone allreaday gave excellent advice.I did one one my neicesmini rex and i cut her till she bled twice.i have been doing this foryears.i havent cut a rabbit in years.if you cut them too short dontpanic it looks like a lot of blood but it doesnt hurtthem.bluebird

Is it different for rabbits? When I cut my dogs quick his whimper sounded like a scream:shock:

Ok so the quick will shrink after I've clipped a bit off? I was worriedthat if the quick grew too long then her nails would stay long :S Iguess no way to get around it, just hope I don't faint from my nerves!Plan to do it tomorrow now as I think I won't have enough timetoday. I'll post how it went! :)

I have done all four paws and atotal of 16nails... phew! I looked at her dew claws but theywere just stumps.. and I'm for sure she didn't get her dew clawsremoved.. so what is this? I only took a tiny bit off as I was soscared. I used a little flashlight but the nail on the tophad a line of brown but nothing under it until I think it was the quickpart, but I hesitated to cut it. No bleeding so that's good.

I had her out for about an hour with the cutting and lettign her runaround, but when I put her back she just flopped over and startedbreathing heavy. I felt her and she was extremely warm for some reason?It's a cold day (-3 degrees celsius) so why would she be so warm? Ididn't stress her out when I picked her up to put her back, she justhopped on my lap and I scooped her up. I'm going to check her in a fewminutes. I put my cold hands on her back fearing if she wouldover-heat. What could this be?:?

Spring wrote:
I have done all four paws and a total of16nails... phew! I looked at her dew claws but they were juststumps.. and I'm for sure she didn't get her dew claws removed.. sowhat is this? I only took a tiny bit off as I was so scared. I used alittle flashlight but the nail on the top had a line of brownbut nothing under it until I think it was the quick part, but Ihesitated to cut it. No bleeding so that's good.
I've had that happen with a couple of my buns.They didn'tlook like they were broken or torn so I'm suspecting that they may havepossibly chew them off.

Spring wrote:
I had her out for about an hour with the cutting and lettign herrun around, but when I put her back she just flopped over and startedbreathing heavy. I felt her and she was extremely warm for some reason?It's a cold day (-3 degrees celsius) so why would she be so warm? Ididn't stress her out when I picked her up to put her back, she justhopped on my lap and I scooped her up. I'm going to check her in a fewminutes. I put my cold hands on her back fearing if she wouldover-heat. What could this be?:?
It's possible that she may have become a bit stressed from the clippingif she's not used to it. Our S'more has a tendency to get veryaggitated with anything new or different. When we clip her nails wehave to be careful and take lots of breaks. She gets breathing so thatshe actually "squeaks" a bit.

~JimD

I just cut Maggie's nails yesterday for thefirst time (I got her in October). She just recently has allowed me topick her up (she was abused) so I had been putting it off. But, I hadnoticed the outer toe on her left front foot seemed to be botheringher, and it it was because of VERY long nails... (and guilt sets inagain...:?)

So I tried the Bunny Burito towel technique, but she has SUCH long andvery strong legs, that it was quite a struggle. She finally calmed down- or was exhausted! I think she realized I was as traumatised as her,as I kept kissing her head and apoligizing as I cut each nail and filedthem.

She too went into her house afterwards and 'flopped' breathing heavily- but she does that after a good run too. When I shook the treat boxthough - all was forgiven and she came running! Nick came running too,and he got a treat just because he's so cute!

Latest posts

Back