Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Holland lop is shedding a lot. As in, i can fill a small slicker brush several times during a grooming, and then run my hand over his back and watch a bunch more fur float off my hand. He's almost as bad as my dogs! Most of the fur seems to be coming from his chest and belly, but he barely tolerates me brushing his back and sides. How do I manage to fully groom him? I don't want him to end up with GI stasis from ingesting his own fur, especially since there are no rabbit savvy vets nearby.

It's normal for rabbits to "blow their coat" or shed all of their old coat several times during the year.
A lot of rabbits don't like slicker brushes with wire teeth, they can scratch the skin and tug their fur. You can try using a steel comb or a steel comb with rotating bristles. You could try grooming mitts used for long haired dogs. Another option is a paddle brush with balls on the ends of the bristles. If your rabbit still won't tolerate grooming you can try bribing him with treats.

To prevent wool block (blocked digestive tract from swallowing fur) you can do the following:
- give him lots of hay
- make sure he's drinking
- feed him chewable papaya pills (digestive enzyme) daily
- feed him pineapple, fresh or frozen (also has digestive enzyme)
- feed him a handful of sunflower seeds daily (oil helps digestion) - they can also be used as a bribe treat

The signs of wool block include reluctance or refusal to eat and abnormal poop - small pieces often joined together in a "necklace" of hair. You can give him feline hairball remedy if he shows signs of blockage. Also, take his pellets away and only offer hay until the blockage is clear.

The good news is that your rabbit has shorter hair and is less prone to wool block than a longer haired breed like a lionhead or angora.

It's normal for rabbits to "blow their coat" or shed all of their old coat several times during the year.
A lot of rabbits don't like slicker brushes with wire teeth, they can scratch the skin and tug their fur. You can try using a steel comb or a steel comb with rotating bristles. You could try grooming mitts used for long haired dogs. Another option is a paddle brush with balls on the ends of the bristles. If your rabbit still won't tolerate grooming you can try bribing him with treats.

To prevent wool block (blocked digestive tract from swallowing fur) you can do the following:
- give him lots of hay
- make sure he's drinking
- feed him chewable papaya pills (digestive enzyme) daily
- feed him pineapple, fresh or frozen (also has digestive enzyme)
- feed him a handful of sunflower seeds daily (oil helps digestion) - they can also be used as a bribe treat

The signs of wool block include reluctance or refusal to eat and abnormal poop - small pieces often joined together in a "necklace" of hair. You can give him feline hairball remedy if he shows signs of blockage. Also, take his pellets away and only offer hay until the blockage is clear.

The good news is that your rabbit has shorter hair and is less prone to wool block than a longer haired breed like a lionhead or angora.
Thank you for these suggestions
Where would you get chewable papaya pills!
Rabbits can eat sunflower seeds????
Thanks
Minx’s mom

Imho papaya doesn't do much. Theoretically yes, in laboratory settings, but not in real life. Neither does pineapple. But as long it's not given in a form that contains a lot of sugar, like fresh, canned, or dried, it shouldn't do harm. I wouldn't rely on that, hair is **** hard to dissolve.

A handful of sunflower seeds is a lot of calories, yes, they can eat them, that's about what you would give a doe nursing a big litter. So not a every day preventative, but imo ok when there are problems.
In case of an acute digestion issue due to too much hair my vet gives 1ml of paraffin oil (it's a bit controversial due to the risk of inhalation), then, when something is off that way, I now would rather try sunflower seed oil soaked into a little oatmeal. If the rabbit is still eating.

Apart from going through the fur with my fingers and plucking what is lose, sometimes with a little damp hands, going back and forth, I also use one of those wire brushes with little balls on the tips, pretty much only thing that works for mine. Apart from the pet safe trimmer when there are knots or mats. I try to avoid scissors, there were accidents.

I try to make it a distinct ritual, I don my protective gear (my 10yo is a vicious biter), announce that it's time again, get her or whoever needs it and do whatever is needs to be done, no discussion or apologies, and finish with a treat. I try to not bother them when just petting them, or passing by and seeing a lose tuft. I think that way it doesn't create as much trust issues like when I would try to get fur off every time they come into reach.

Last edited:
Imho papaya doesn't do much. Theoretically yes, in laboratory settings, but not in real life. Neither does pineapple. But as long it's not given in a form that contains a lot of sugar, like fresh, canned, or dried, it shouldn't do harm. I wouldn't rely on that, hair is **** hard to dissolve.

A handful of sunflower seeds is a lot of calories, yes, they can eat them, that's about what you would give a doe nursing a big litter. So not a every day preventative, but imo ok when there are problems.
In case of an acute digestion issue due to too much hair my vet gives 1ml of paraffin oil (it's a bit controversial due to the risk of inhalation), then, when something is off that way, I now would rather try sunflower seed oil soaked into a little oatmeal. If the rabbit is still eating.

Apart from going through the fur with my fingers and plucking what is lose, sometimes with a little damp hands, going back and forth, I also use one of those wire brushes with little balls on the tips, pretty much only thing that works for mine. Apart from the pet safe trimmer when there are knots or mats. I try to avoid scissors, there were accidents.

I try to make it a distinct ritual, I don my protective gear (my 10yo is a vicious biter), announce that it's time again, get her or whoever needs it and do whatever is needs to be done, no discussion or apologies, and finish with a treat. I try to not bother them when just petting them, or passing by and seeing a lose tuft. I think that way it doesn't create as much trust issues like when I would try to get fur off every time they come into reach.
Thanks so much! This info is very helpful !!!👍👍👏👏

Unfortunately the pineapple juice idea has been shown to be a myth. Bromelain is the enzyme in pineapple (papain in papaya) that is said to dissolve hair. However, a low pH (below 3) destroys the enzyme. The pH of a rabbit's stomach is 1.5 - 2.2. That means the enzyme cannot survive in the rabbit's stomach to breakdown the hair. So neither the pineapple nor the papaya will break down hair in a rabbit's gut.

There is also a potential downside to feeding pineapple or papaya. The sugars in them can cause the gut's bacterial balance to go out of whack -- definitely not what one wants when trying to prevent gut issues. There is even some suggestions that the enzymes may be irritating to the oral mucosa and possibly the gastric mucosa as well.

On the possible positive (though debated) side, some think it's possible that those enzymes, while not able to dissolve hair, may help breakdown the matrix holding the material together. However, if the enzyme is being destroyed anyway by the low pH, then it is not likely that even this breakdown can occur. Ignoring that likelihood, the potential downsides still seem to outweigh this debatable possible plus side.

Hay and water are the sure ways to help push hair through the gut. Encouraging plenty of hay eating (by refreshing it throughout the day) ans providing plenty of water is your best bet along with plenty of grooming.

Unfortunately the pineapple juice idea has been shown to be a myth. Bromelain is the enzyme in pineapple (papain in papaya) that is said to dissolve hair. However, a low pH (below 3) destroys the enzyme. The pH of a rabbit's stomach is 1.5 - 2.2. That means the enzyme cannot survive in the rabbit's stomach to breakdown the hair. So neither the pineapple nor the papaya will break down hair in a rabbit's gut.

There is also a potential downside to feeding pineapple or papaya. The sugars in them can cause the gut's bacterial balance to go out of whack -- definitely not what one wants when trying to prevent gut issues. There is even some suggestions that the enzymes may be irritating to the oral mucosa and possibly the gastric mucosa as well.

On the possible positive (though debated) side, some think it's possible that those enzymes, while not able to dissolve hair, may help breakdown the matrix holding the material together. However, if the enzyme is being destroyed anyway by the low pH, then it is not likely that even this breakdown can occur. Ignoring that likelihood, the potential downsides still seem to outweigh this debatable possible plus side.

Hay and water are the sure ways to help push hair through the gut. Encouraging plenty of hay eating (by refreshing it throughout the day) ans providing plenty of water is your best bet along with plenty of grooming.
You seem very experienced. Do you have any thoughts about young Comfrey leaves? I have heard they can cause toxicity in humans and that made me nervous about giving any to my rabbits. I grow Comfrey (non invasive, root variety) in the garden and I will give them a tiny leaf each in the Spring and Summer about once a week. The gave a plant to a friend and she said it solved her rabbit’s GI stasis issues. We both have 12 pound rescue rabbits that are part Flemish and/or Netherland. I have heard that comfrey is good for digestion but again, I am anxious about long-term consumption or to give more than a tiny bit because of a few things I read about toxicity in humans, Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

You seem very experienced. Do you have any thoughts about young Comfrey leaves? I have heard they can cause toxicity in humans and that made me nervous about giving any to my rabbits. I grow Comfrey (non invasive, root variety) in the garden and I will give them a tiny leaf each in the Spring and Summer about once a week. The gave a plant to a friend and she said it solved her rabbit’s GI stasis issues. We both have 12 pound rescue rabbits that are part Flemish and/or Netherland. I have heard that comfrey is good for digestion but again, I am anxious about long-term consumption or to give more than a tiny bit because of a few things I read about toxicity in humans, Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I'm afraid I have no experience with comfrey as it doesn't grow out here in the southwest desert. Perhaps @Preitler has experience with this as he provides a variety of forage for his rabbits.

Rabbits have a different type of digestive system than people. They can eat plants that we can't, or even plants that might be harmful to other animals might be not be as harmful to them.

That said, there's conflicting information on whether comfrey is safe or not. Some sites list it as safe, some list it as toxic. When in doubt, don't feed anything you aren't sure of being safe, and/or consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet first.

If it does end up being safe, it should at least be limited due to high calcium content, or not fed at all if a rabbit is prone to bladder sludge.

www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Herbs/herbs_en.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/poisonous-plants/

Rabbits have a different type of digestive system than people. They can eat plants that we can't, or even plants that might be harmful to other animals might be not be as harmful to them.

That said, there's conflicting information on whether comfrey is safe or not. Some sites list it as safe, some list it as toxic. When in doubt, don't feed anything you aren't sure of being safe, and/or consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet first.

If it does end up being safe, it should at least be limited due to high calcium content, or not fed at all if a rabbit is prone to bladder sludge.

Thanks. That makes good sense. I am
very cautious with what I feed the rabbits and there is a delicate balance with “medicinal” plants like comfrey.

Thanks. That makes good sense. I am
very cautious with what I feed the rabbits and there is a delicate balance with “medicinal” plants like comfrey.

For future, please only post in someone else's thread, with relevant info related to the OP topic. Going too off topic can cause confusion in the conversation, and isn't usually terribly polite to the member who created the thread. It's best for you to just create your own thread when you have questions regarding some other topic.

My apologies but many people use Comfrey to prevent GI stasis in rabbits. A friend uses it and her rabbit no longer suffers bouts of GI stasis. This is why I mentioned the Comfrey be use many people feel it is very good at treating ingested fur-related GI stasis, especially when a rabbit sheds. I didn’t want to make the claim without addressing the concern that some rabbit owners feel that comfrey may be toxic. I have decided that moderation is key. It seems eleventh this conversation.

I'm afraid I have no experience with comfrey as it doesn't grow out here in the southwest desert. Perhaps @Preitler has experience with this as he provides a variety of forage for his rabbits.
My approach is that I let them pick what they eat, and how much. They forage themself during daytime anyway, so I couldn't control what they eat anyway.

Rabbits are great in knowing what, and how much they can stomach, if given the chance to learn, or in another phrasing, when not stunting this instinctive ability by messing it up with a narrow diet (which by itself can be perfectly ok). They eat stuff that's on many toxic lists (no ivy in my garden anymore), some stuff not always but only when they need it, they use it as medicine. They can stomach stuff that would kill many others, like butterbur and other plants with similiar liver toxins, somehow their digestions destroys the toxin befor it can do any harm.

Comfrey is even cultivated as human food, so I wouldn't worry the least about my rabbits eating too much of it. Key point there always is that they have enough other options. Not too much of anything is always a good rule, as a small part in a diverse diet I wouldn't worry.

Only stuff I'm careful about are plants with a lot of oxalates, it's not really that acutly toxic but with the way rabbits process calcium it's more prone to cause issues there than in humans. If they find it on the meadow, well, be it, but I keep that out of what I feed them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back