Zorro's Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadezhda

Reaction score
So Zorro was neutered today. I've readthat a lot of neutered bunnies come home looking for dinner, but Zorrowasn't interested in eating. He ignored his hay andbun-kibble, ignored red cabbage and celery, but he did eat a raisin anda little bit of oats. I've microwaved a couple of towels, andonce he realized they were warm, he layed his (un) many-bits on them.

I'm going to let him rest for a while, before I start bothering him with bits of food again. Any suggestions?

Did the vet give him a painkiller, or send him home with one? My vet gives a shot before they wake up.

Holding their food for them seems to help. Mocha hardly ateanything on her own for several days- she's such a spoiledprincess! Fey and Sprite ate a little on their own, but atemore if I held it for them. Once Fey learned the system, shetook advantage of it by begging to be fed the choicest individualstrands of hay by hand. Please, mommy, will you feed memore? I swear I won't eat it on my own!:D

Do you have any other greens that he is used to? I've foundthat strong smelling herbs like parsley and cilantro are good fortempting them to eat.

The vet didn't give him anypainkillers. I asked him, last week when Zorro was checkedover, and he said none of his rabbits needed painkillerseither. It's an 'open' rather than a 'closed' aswell. He's used to lettuce more than the other greens, butall our lettuce was used up last night!

I probably will try to feed his hay, strand by strand. I alsohave some of those 'banana flavour covered alfalfa treats' that my nanawanted to buy Oreo when she was here at christmas. I'll tryfeeding him some of those too, if only to make sure he's got a runninggut.

Recently the vet I use, uses lasers forsurgeries...my rabbits come home and behave completely normal. I'm surethat he'll be eating just fine soon..glad that he did so well!!! :D

angieluv wrote:
Recently the vet I use, uses lasers for surgeries...myrabbits come home and behave completely normal. I'm sure that he'll beeating just fine soon..glad that he did so well!!! :D
So you see a difference? My vet has laser surgery, but hesays that rabbit skin is so thin that it doesn't make a difference inheal time. His partner used the laser to do Mocha's spay, andshe seemed to be in more pain than Fey and Sprite, who did not getlaser surgery. Fey and Sprite had a fast recovery and ate assoon as they got home. Fey looked nautious, but that wasprobably the anesthesia or the painkiller.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit.:?

We both posted at the same time ...my rabbitsreally came out of it fast, however I think that they were given a paininjection..this was recent as I adopted 2 rabbits from the shelterwithin the last 4-5 months

Open means there are no sutres orstaples. If I flip Zorro over, I can see where the scabs arefrom the incisions. I can take a picture if you like.

Zorro is eating though!

I wanted to have a look at him, so I picked him up and put him in mylap and took a look. He didn't struggle at al, just looked upat my as if to say "Look at what that meanie did to me!" Iput him right-ways up, and he rested his chin on my wrist, so I startedpetting him. He shivered a bit, sometimes, but thenrelaxed. He moved around to a couple different positions,each time head-butting my hand to demand more petting. Aftermaybe 15 minutes, he started hopping around my bed so I put him back inhis cage. To my delight, he started eating somecarrot! Yay! Then he started eating his hay, andtaking some good long drinks of water. He's been bouncingaround from the hay that's stuck to his towel, to the big pile of hayin the corner. He's lying down, allowing me to pet him, andsnuggling up to his towel. He seems uncomfortable, butotherwise fine.

Yay! Hopefully he'll stay doing fine, since afterschooltomorrow, I gotta stay for a couple hours of choir! *grumblesabout her hobbies*

I'm reading a book right now called"Zorro" by Isabel Allende... It's about how Diego de la Vegagrew up to become Zorro. I think the name suits my bun fromthe way the character is decribed in the book.

*makes a note to herself to make a mask and cape, and to find a mini model rapier*

I'm just over halfway through. Very awesome book, expecially if you're already a Zorro-nut :D

Zorro (the bunny) has swollen balls today! The wounds lookgood though, and he's an eating and pooping machine :D He'sreally enjoying the towel in his cage. I think he like thefluffy hand towels better than the old washcloths he had before, so ifhe shows any discomfort, it'll be hand towels I microwave for himinstead of cloths.

Last night Zorro chewed off a scab and opened upthe wound. I phoned them up and got an e-collar so that Icould sleep and not stand over the cage and shake it every five secondswhen he would try to nibble.

He's sitting in his hay basket, glaring at me.

ohh noo,what a bugger,they just love to make us worry about them.how long does he have to keep the collar on?poor zorro

cheryl

I was hand-feeding him hay and he has no interest in pellets. He was eating this morning, though.

Later tonight when people are in the house so I don't have to rundownstairs and make sure puppy is let out when he needs to pee, I'lllet Fred run around and put Zorro's cage on my bed and take the collaroff so he can eat and I can make sure he won't chew himself.

On the other hand, though... I needed a collar to keep the cone on, somom went downtown and bought two cat collars... They look socute! I'm not sure how Zorro feels about his, since it wasput on with a cone, but Fred sniffed at the bell on it once, and thenignored it :p They look so cute! I'll take pictureslater, but I need to run down now and check on puppy.

Zorro has learned to eat his hay and pelletswith the cone on, and I'm pretty sure he remembers how to use the waterbottle. Blah. *runs downstairs to check on the dogagain*

Latest posts

Back