Zoro has a blood wound

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what Butterball and Zoro has been doing but on one morning, we found some of their fur (especially Zoro's, since he's an Angora) stuck of the bars of the cage.
At first we were confused, then when we saw that they were chasing each other around, we realized that they were just playing.

But now, I just noticed that Zoro has a wound on his eyelid. I think a huge chunk of fur was ripped off from that area.
I was wondering, what kind of ointment can i use on it?
Or should i just leave it like that and it will heal itself?

My mom told me to ask from our neighbour who has a cat, but i heard that some medications used on cats n dogs are poisonous to rabbits..

please help me

I agree with Pam's recommendation. Also, they may not be playing. Unfixed rabbits are often territorial and aggressive when their hormones kick in. The chasing and fighting is generally a sign that they do not want to live together anymore. If they are fighting to the point where blood is drawn, I would separate them immediately. Rabbits can kill each other while fighting.

But Butterball's a girl, Zoro's a boy.

I just saw Zoro licking Butterball's eyelid (exactly where his wound is), I don't know why because she's not hurt.
But later, when Butterball tries lick Zoro's wound, he'd turn away and try to stop her. They're treating each other..

Yesterday, it was just an normal cut, today this is what it looks like:
( see http://mybunnieszb.blogspot.com/2010/04/zoros-wound.html)

help me

should we put anything on it (cause they're licking the wound) or should we just leave it as is and wait for it to heal by itself?
WILL it heal by itself?

please help, i'm really scared..

Aw, poor Zoro.

It looks abscessed, but not too badly. It will need to be cleaned and medicated. Butterball is probably trying to keep it clean. Zoro should have let her.

The triple antibiotic ointment contains bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. It's topical (for the skin), and is usually used to treat and prevent infections in minor wounds.

At this point, though, I'd think cleaning it as best you can with povidone iodine (Betadine) is a better bet.
It shouldn't hurt her eye (but just use it above the eye) and shouldn't do anything horrible if Butterball licks it off (it can be used as an oral rinse), but separate them after you put some on, anyway, at least for a few hours.

I know for flushing abscesses, they recommend diluting the povidone iodine to the color of weak tea, but this isn't really flushing it, so it may need to be stronger, not sure about that. Put it on a q-tip cotton swab.

I'm not sure what you might have there in the way of systemic (for the body) antibiotics, and he may need to have something other than just the skin treatment now.

I'm going to see if somebody has experience with antibiotics and rabbits in your area before, or if there's a rabbit rescue that might know.

Please check back.

sas :clover:

1199_040719_270000000.jpg
1199_040719_270000002.jpg

I'm reproducing a couple of the pics here seeing as your link is a bit off.

The Vets in Malaysia will probably just prescribe Baytril, and that will do fine. If cleaning it and using Bayrtil doesn't work, then look at other options.

I was going to put you in touch with Streisand (aka Somebunny), one of Malaysian members here, but I see she's part of a Malaysian Rabbit Owner's Club you can find here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54005707810

They should have a pretty good handle on rabbit care and rabbit Vets your way.

:goodluck:

sas :clover:

I agree that it looks abscessed and you're going to want to get some antibiotics into Zoro. I would wash the area daily with a surgical scrub like Hibiscrub (chlorhexidine is the active ingredient) or betadine (povidone iodine is the active ingredient), and then apply a topical ointment that's antibacterial, like neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. Allow the ointment to sink in for at least 15 min before letting them back together, then wipe off any excess and Butterball can groom it, I would think. Systemic antibiotics (oral or injected) should also be used, but that will be limited by what you can get in Malaysia.

BB wrote:
I'm not really sure what Butterball and Zoro has been doing but on one morning, we found some of their fur (especially Zoro's, since he's an Angora) stuck of the bars of the cage.
At first we were confused, then when we saw that they were chasing each other around, we realized that they were just playing.

But now, I just noticed that Zoro has a wound on his eyelid. I think a huge chunk of fur was ripped off from that area.
I was wondering, what kind of ointment can i use on it?
Or should i just leave it like that and it will heal itself?

My mom told me to ask from our neighbour who has a cat, but i heard that some medications used on cats n dogs are poisonous to rabbits..

please help me
how is ur rabbit doing?> is he okay>

Latest posts

Back