zomg MICE!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear the traps working Jak. its no fun when things like what happened to dale is happening in your shed at the end of the day if he has little or no feeling in his legs there was no way he could defend himself and wouldnt know what was happening to him. That is so sad to see a rabbit suffer like that:(

By the way i have alwas found mice to have a Love for chocolate( always another option)

Thats interesting. IT may also interest you to know I too have a love for chocolate. Therefore any chocolate I have will not be exposed to mice. Chocolate = for Jesse.

polly wrote:
By the way i have alwas found mice to have a Love for chocolate ( always another option)

I could say so terribly much about this thread, and about certain comments...

But I am gonna make my stand abundantly clear with a little equation of sorts..

1-Barn

2 Show Pigs at a cost of $300 to $400 apiece

Health certificates and various wormers and hay and other stuffs for said pigs x 2 -$400

Moormans Showtec Feed-$29+ tax per bag 3 bags per month per pig.

All this for a stay of 5 months for each pig....

Yeah.. I think you know where my stand on rats in my barn is..

And I think this is Rabbits Online Forum...

Isn't that what GooseMoose is for?

Well I wasn't going to post again because I don't think anything I say is going to make it better but here goes- I'm sorry if what I said is upsetting to you Undergunfire, I have a feeling that it was most likely my comments that caused you the most angst, and it was not my intention to offend or upset anyone.

It was my intention to help a young person who was devastated by a very ugly situation she should not have had to deal with, I as an adult would have been horrified and nauseated and I just really wanted to help her.

I must admit I don't see wild rats and mice or even wild rabbits in the same light as domestic ones, they are different, they act as wild animals, they can be diseased, and they run on instinct and are unpredictable and often violent, not like the sweet loving domestic rats/mice/rabbits that have been bred for generations for gentleness and personality. There's just no comparing them in my mind, not justifying, just explaining.

I'm sorry your upset, I realize that you probably can't understand my point of view anymore than I can understand yours, but I still meant no offense.

Oh Holy Heck...

Despite the fact that Bramblerose and I have butted heads, I could NOT agree more. We do not go and domesticate hyenas. They are not dogs.. they are wild animals, with wild animal instincts, and carriers of disease. It is ingrained in their psyche to be predators..

Something that does bother me, Amy, we have heard ad nauseaum about how much it sickens you about the *killing of mice* did you really even stop and think about Dale.. sweet Dale? Helpless to do anything but feel the pain of a rodent feasting on his flesh.. paralyzed or not, I am sure he had some degree of feeling about. If not, what about the sheer horror of the incident, watching something feast upon you. Did you shed a tear for Dale while you were tearing up over the mice?

I realize I probably have just made an enemy out of you and your friends here, but you need to look at it with sensibility, and not with emotions.. these are NOT domesticated mice or rats we are discussing.

I am so skeeved right now it's not even funny...the amount of money I have tied up in my kids livestock, my horses, the rabbits, for someone to be *shedding tears* over dang rodents ....

Bramblerose wrote:
I must admit I don't see wild rats and mice or even wild rabbits in the same light as domestic ones, they are different, they act as wild animals, they can be diseased, and they run on instinct and are unpredictable and often violent, not like the sweet loving domestic rats/mice/rabbits that have been bred for generations for gentleness and personality. There's just no comparing them in my mind, not justifying, just explaining.

Hey Jesse, are there any shelters or cat rescue groups that do TNR in your area? TNR=Trap Neuter Release, it's for feral cats that couldn't ever be socialized enough to be adopted out. If someone has a lot of feral cats breeding up a storm, they can call these groups and they'll help. They also usually test them for feline leukemia and other evil diseases and euthanize any infected ones so they can't spread it. If you can find a group, you could ask to see if any of their known colonies need to be reduced... as in being moved to your barn. Barn kitties with no babies!

I wouldn't reccomend cats. They can get their paws through the wire and

kill a baby rabbit with their claws.

I don't have a rodent problem but a friend of mine did and they bought feeders

with tops on them to keep the rats out of them from the outside and put out

bait stations. The rats in her barn were pulling babies right to the wire and

ripping them open. Not a pleasant sight!!!!!!

Another friend who used to have a problem encouraged snakes to live around

her yard in the summer and they wiped out the rats eventually. In the summer

time you can see them stretched out in the sun in her back yard. Kind of creepy

but it worked for her.

Roger

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
Yes, I always use peanut butter. It's healthy.

:laughsmiley:

I meant that it was the best thing to get them to the traps..... just making sure you knew.... too funny! Healthy....

Ya know if you have coons - (we use the live traps for them) - they come for eggs... just put an egg in the back corner and you'll have a coon in the trap for sure - or a cat which has happened to me before.... LOL!

If you have one rat it could have been in feed bags or come from a farm nearby - could that be?

I asked her and she said that the ones that were eating the rats were too

big too fit through the wire and the smaller ones were kept away by the

mothers.

Roger

you mean eating the babies?

I still wouldn't want the disease they can carry.

Snakes work but ewwwww I have lots of water snakes here. I hate them!

Latest posts

Back