zomg MICE!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
They're compeltely overrunning my Rabbitry! Just as i'm feeding I cansee up to 3 at one time scurrying the floor. They're not even afraid of me anymore! they run right over my shoes! They eat any dropped foodi nthe trays and even climb into their food bowls and just sit and eat! I have ally my feed locked up in bins and I keep the floor swept but I can't account for everything. I've been setting mousetraps but they jsut disappear! How can a mousetrap disappear!? Especially when I had it in an enclosed box? I don't understand this!

Tonight was the last straw. They're just zooming all over the place. I found 2 old mousetraps and set them with some peanut butter. As i'm watering I can see both traps in plain sight. With mice eating off of both of them but the mice are too small it seems to set the darn things off. I even had two older mice fighting ON TOP OF a freaking trap and it wouldn't go off! But it's so hair sensitive I actually squished my thumb while setting it. (yeah....ouch...)

You may have also read about my special needs bunny, Dale...who has splayed legs. The vet told me it looked like a spinal problem and that he was paralyzed, but whe nthey asked for $200 for an xray I just kind of laughed and left. They said there was nothing they could do anyways. So I kept Dale in his own big 36 X 24 cage and kept it heavily bedded with hay. He ate and pooped and even half-binkied so I assumed he was happy and healthy as he could be and I didn't see the need to do anything more. This spring I planned on building him a wheelchair so he can zoom!

If he was indeed paralyzed, then it would make sense that he couldn't feel his hind legs. And as I was feeding tonight, Dale was his usual self, eating and scooting along in his cage. Then I noticed later what damage the mice had done. They had actually eaten portions of his paralyzed legs. I thought there was a piece of light colored hay lying across his legs but....it wasn't. It was bone. And I got so sick My breakfast came back to haunt me. At that moment I was just so very afraid and disturbed. The damage was so bad.... we just thoguht it would be best to euthanize Dale., and now he can binky free in a world where his legs are fine and whole and strong. I think his spirit is genuinely happier now, no longer confined to his body and living conditions.

I hate mice. They've put me through some serious crap. I still feel so very sick over Dale and what happened. I need a way to kill them all. Poison and sticky paper aren't an option, I don't want poisoned bodies lying aroudn where i'll never find them and being s tuck to a sheet of paper is just too inhumane, I wouldn't knwo what to do if and when I foudn them alive and upset.

Mandi is lending me her trap, which is a box you bait with peanut butter and when something touches the floor, it gets electrocuted. She says its worked for her but she's only ever had one mouse in her rabbit house, and how her rabbitry consists of her brother's dirt bike trailor, its all stainless steel and insolated. She says she has no more need for the tra pat the mometn so she's bringing it over tomorrow.

I also had a rat in my rabbitry the other day. Head to tail he was about 15 inches long. I was feeding one of my french lops and just as I dumped her food in, this rat goes ZOOMing across the back of the cage and instyinctively I cursed very loudly and grabbed her aroudn the middle nad drug her fat arse out of there and shut the door, trapping the rat inside. I couldn't understand how he got in there! He obviously couldnt' get out and the holes were so small compared to his body. I wanted it to die and i knew that would be best but.... I had no idea how to go about it. And Iw as like ''My cat hasa rabies shot!'' so I was like '' MErcy....get the rat!'' and she just stared at me and meowed until I let her go. Then the rat made a break for it and tried to squeeze through the cage bars and got stuck and Erron reached in and grabbed his tail and flung him in a box. Then I called Matt and told him I had some snake food for him. Problem solved! But..

My question being.... any more suggestions on what to do about the mice? I feel so so awful that my rabbits have to live in these condition and share their living space with mice! Mice don't scare me, wild mice nauseate me. I just think about al lthe disease and ....ugh gross. To imagine that around my babies is just...maddening and heartbreaking.

They are going down. For Dale.

:shock:holy poop! You are a braver woman than I.

If the traps work the best bait is a dog cookie with peanut butter or cheese on it... Other than that I have no good info on getting rid of rats

Good luck!

Wow... just wow.
I have no advice... we don't really have mice/rats here, well, we do at school, but that's another story.
I wish you the best of luck in your search for a solution.

Holy Cow!! Maybe borrow some cats from friends and let them run around and get some of the mice.:biggrin2:

And just set traps. A mouse trap disappeared? What?! That's pretty werid. Tricky mice you got there.

Well that's all I got. I hope they find a new home to live in.

We had a problem anumber ofyears ago when the neighbor had her chickens and didn't keep them very well. Norway rats... We got bait stations and poison. The poison was inside the bait stations and no other animal could get to it (dogs, cats, etc.) Of course a little peanut butter smeared on the poison encouraged them to try it. It took care of the problem within two weeks. Everything was gone. I have nothing against rats or mice, except when they try to live with my rabbits.

That video is like the freakin scariest thing I have ever seen. Those poor pigs!

Jak, I have had situations similar to yours, although I don't think I've ever had a trap disapear. Mabye you got a rat in it, and it dragged it off? There are multiple catch traps, I know those have worked well for us in the past. Here is one site for them: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/mouse-traps.htm#nonwindup

Here is another brand that is similar. http://www.tomcatbrand.com/product/22-live-catch-mouse-trap

You can find lots of different kinds by doing a search for "multiple catch mouse traps" and you can get humane traps or otherwise if you want. I hope that helps, mouse problems can be so frustrating!

I have three words for you-Jack Russell Terrier, a Cairn Terrier would do a bang up job as well, Doxies are excellant vermin killers as well. Cats are fine but will kill what they can eat and stop, dogs will just keep killing the vermin. Even large chickens(and sometimes smaller ones) will chase and devour small mice, they are little dinosaurs you know. Unless you want to go the poison and trap route you need to make use of a predater, and knock their numbers down drastically and keep the population under control. If it wasn't so cold I'd tell you how to make a water bucket trap, right now the water would just freeze. You could make a garbage can trap to catch mice, you put a ramp up to the top of the can, smear the slightest hint of peanut butter up the ramp, and a big gob in the bottom of the can. They fall in, can't get out, then of course you have to deal with them. I've seen 16 mice caught in such a trap overnight, its too high for mice to jump back out, but rats can. Once you've caught a bunch you can just put some poison bait in the can and set the lid on top, once they've eaten it and died someone esle can empty it out for you so you don't have to deal with them alive. That way there wouldn't be poison and dead rodents all over. Sounds nasty but when you have that kind of infestation you have to take drastic measures.

I'm terribly sorry about Dale, thats just horrible, I feel so bad for you.

Its funny I do have a weener dog. But like you said it's just way too cold to leave him in there and he's actually inbred (from a bad breeder) and he's not mentally....right. And he has a bad history with small rabbits... And another dog isn't in my future, but a good idea none the less.

And I do know the water bucket trick. My uncle suggested that oen to me, it doesn't go below freezing my rabbit beac use it is heated. Althoguht once again if I fond a live mouse in there...I don't know what i'd do.

Althoguht you did give me a fascinating idea.. I have 3 chickens. In the summertime I would leave the rabbitry door open for venthillation and my hen, Gloria, was always in there eating hay seeds and such. But she'd make me mad because she loved to perch on my belgian cages and poop on my bunnies! So maybe I can lay some empty feed sacks on top of the cages to keep my bunnies clean...

Can chickens get rabies?

Also I do have a space heater in the rabbitry I use for..well...heat. it has a safety feature in which it will turn off if tipped or if it leans on too far of an angle. I'm kind of woried about a short or something if it gets shat on. If I can find a way to secure my heater...I think the chicken idea would work great. And Rudy, Gloria, and Greta, would be fat and happy too!

I do not agree with the killing of mice or rats, because even though they may be "wild" and do some bad things...they are still dear to my heart and I don't think they should die for doing what their instinct tells them to do.

I have no information to give you to keep them away, because I will not tell you to set traps or kill them off, but....

You do not need to worry about your rabbits/chickens getting rabies. A rat or a mouse will die from the initial bite from the carrier, before rabies even has time to "set in".

I don't have a problem with rats or mice, I think they make great pets. But thats domestic rats and mice. And these ones are being quite destructive, instinct or not. In allowing them to continue I would lose more rabbits. And if I hae to choose between any member of my herd and a bunch of rodents....so be it i've chosen.

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
I don't have a problem with rats or mice, I think they make great pets. But thats domestic rats and mice. And these ones are being quite destructive, instinct or not. In allowing them to continue I would lose more rabbits. And if I hae to choose between any member of my herd and a bunch of rodents....so be it i've chosen.

Sorry, I was just letting you know that I didn't have any advice on how to "dispose" of them.

Just thought I would help out a little and tell you they can't get rabies, therefore...they can't pass it on.

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
Yes its a big relief to know they can't rabie-tize my bunnies. Thanks for the de-stress.

-JAK

Your welcome. A lot of people just don't know they that die from the stress of the bite before ever receiving the rabies. To be honest, your rabbits or chickens won't get a "disease" from wild rats or mice. It's all myths :), so you can be releived about that.

I am truely sorry about Dale, though :(. There was another case on the forum a while a go where someone's baby bunny(s) were attacked/eaten by wild rats. It is very sad, but the mice/rats don't understand what they are doing wrong. I do understand that it is frustrating though, and that you are afraid for them.

I hope you find a solution soon, and some of the mice/rats can move onto some where else.

Oh my God, that is horrific! I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is, I had rabbits killed by a rat, and kept losing rabbits suddenly while it was in my shed. The vets were pretty certain they were dying from bacteria from the rat. I lost all my best rabbits, the ones I had bought to show, and watching so many rabbits I loved die and then have their bodeis half eaten if I didn't bury them fast enough was really heartbreaking, I even considered giving them up because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Anyway, my boyfriend had a mice problem in his house and he had a good way of catching them. Put a toliet roll tube on the edge of a work surface, hanging halfway off the edge and put some food at the end, put a plastic bin underneath...the mice walk into the tube to get it and the tube falls into the bin. He caught pretty much the whole family this way, and I took them home on the bus to let them go in the fields.

I hope you can get it sorted quickly.

haha how innovative. Though rides like that make me sick.

Jenson wrote:
Anyway, my boyfriend had a mice problem in his house and he had a good way of catching them. Put a toliet roll tube on the edge of a work surface, hanging halfway off the edge and put some food at the end, put a plastic bin underneath...the mice walk into the tube to get it and the tube falls into the bin. He caught pretty much the whole family this way, and I took them home on the bus to let them go in the fields.

I hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Rats and mice can carry many zoonotic diseases/bacteria, meaning that they can pass these things to humans and other animals, Leptospirosis comes to mind. Then of course theres the famous Hantavirus, which has caused numerous deaths on Navaho reservations. They can also carry strep, staph, and a number of other nasty things that can be passed to other species. Also the Bubonic Plague is still out there, last case I heard of was in Los Angeles not too long ago, and there are still 10-20 cases a year here in the States, something that most folks are unaware of. Add that to the fact that rats and mice cannot control their bowels and are constantly urinating and defecating, including while their sitting eating in your rabbits bowl makes a a pretty good case for killing them all in my mind. Don't feel bad about protecting your animals, you don't have a choice, sadly you've seen what they can do.

If the water won't freeze in your barn then set up the water bucket traps, they'll drown fairly quickly, so just be carefull not to look in the bucket if you hear splashing or sqeauking. Pay someone esle to dump the buckets if you can't, I know its hard to deal with, but its better than having your rabbits harmed. The first time will be tough, the second time still unpleasant, but it'll get easier, and once their under control you'll feel better knowing that your rabbits are safe.

The chickens might help you out with the little mice, but not the rats. Rats are tough, you may have to consider traps or bait for them. Check your rabbits for fleas, they could have them if the mice are going right into their cages.

Wish I could be of more help.

Latest posts

Back