Zoe update: the roller-coaster...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenk wrote:
gmas rabbit wrote:
You are far from indifferent, just doing what you feel is best and easiest on Zoe. I know that we all are suggesting different things that I hope is not coming across as a critism to your treatment or strategy. We are just trying to bounce ideas off you not a critism but in case something comes up that possibly wasn't thought of (although you have had years of this and most of us not ) so maybe we are just trying to make ourselves useful in you time of need, I personally have never had to deal with melacolon issues, fur blockage and statis, but nothing like what you and Zoe are dealing with. I think that you are the most loving incredible bunny mom, I just wish that things were different for both you and Zoe.
Thank you, gmas. I don't as though I'm being criticized by anyone, honest. I feel supported more than anything. :hug2:

Per the vet, Zoe's liver/kidney values are still relatively normal. (One of her liver values has always been a bit "off," but it's the same as the last liver/kidney check.) Her temp. is 102-deg. F. Both vets in the practice palpated her and felt a "long tube" of softened fecal material in the colon and rectum. The vet gave Zoe another enema (and will give a second one this evening).

I'm having a major guilt trip; Zoe's undergone quite a bit of anesthesia for tooth trims and, most recently, to have a growth removed from her ear. I'm left to wonder if she wouldn't be in this condition--or at least not yet--if I'd not gone along with the vet's recommended tooth-trim schedule. (Her motivation was in the right place; she likes to do checks/trims further and further apart to see how long the bun can go before spurs cause a problem.) I could see that the anesthesia was making it harder for Zoe to bounce back each time, but I never thought it would come to this situation. :cry2

Would I be selfish to bring Zoe home to try to have one more night with her? After the fecal mush she passed early Saturday, she only passed three more fecals; I know she's blocked and uncomfy. (I ashamedly admit that I don't think the enemas and Lactulose, which the vet will try on Zoe today, will work.) But I'm thinking of asking to have Zoe given either a higher dose of Metacam or even Torbutrol to help ease her pain for the evening.

Jenk

So sorry. Jen,that you are going through this..

Ifthis was my bun I probably would not let it continue..but you need to make your own decision as others have said ...
:pray::hug:

Maureen

angieluv wrote:
So sorry. Jen,that you are going through this...

Ifthis was my bun I probably would not let it continue..but you need to make your own decision as others have said ...
:pray::hug:
Thank you, Maureen.

If Zoe hasn't passed anything by the time the vet's office opens tomorrow--or if she passes little by then--we will make that difficult phone call. :(

Jenk

Regardless of my DH's and my final decision to be made this morning, we were to give Zoe her morning course of meds. We've determined, though, that don't want her last bit of time with us spent getting poked with needles. The last thing she needs is anymore pain. (She received Buprenorphine at the vet's yesterday to at least help dull what she's likely feeling.)

This morning, I can say that the light has gone out of her eyes. She looks very tired, and I know that it's time for her to receive some very hard-earned rest. My DH will call the vet's office when it opens at 7:30 am to schedule Zoe's final appointment.
:bigtears:

Zoe and I thank you for your support up until this point and beyond.

With a heavy heart,

Jenk

Jenk, I'm so very sorry for your difficult situation. You did your very best for Zoe and she had a great, albeit short life with you. I'm sure she loves you as much as you love her.
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I don't, but please know that we are all thinking of you.

Mary Anne

:pray:

I'm soo sorry. :cry2 Please give Zoe one last pet for me. I hate losing a pet. After all you've gone through with Zoe, take heart in the fact she knows she has an owner who loves her bunches! I'm praying for you both

Latest posts

Back