Zoe has a possible fecal impaction...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Zoe was at the vet's office this morning for observation, an x-ray, fluids, and injectable meds. The x-ray showed what looks to be fecal impaction in the large intestine (up near the cecum). There appears to be more gas than food in the cecum.

The vet's office closed early, as the staff was leaving to attend a veterinary conference. For that reason--and because Zoe was alert and had a normal temp.--I was allowed to take her home. Tonight, I'll give her fluids--sub-Qs and a small amount orally--and injectable meds. (Metoclopramide, Metacam, and Baytril). Zoe is to return to the vet's office tomorrow morning for additional observation and treatment.

I've only seen Zoe eat a few pieces of hay since yesterday morning. I did give her pellet mash and watery Critical Care (CC) formula yesterday, both of which are risky because the protein content (especially of CC) seems to irritate her gut lining. The vet wants me to only give her about 15 mL's of watery CC tonight--i.e., 5 mL's given at a time. I don't know what else to feed Zoe; it seems risky, considering the situation.

I realize there's the chance of rupture with this issue, and I continue to hope/pray/care for Zoe the best that I can. Surgery wouldn't be an option for her, even if it looked necessary.

Jenk

1) I'll definetly keep Zoe in my prayers! :)

2) What kind of hay do you feed her? You might want to try temping her with another type. My vet recomended that when my bunny wasn't eating enough of it while she was sick and that did the trick!

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
1) I'll definetly keep Zoe in my prayers! :)
Thank you! :hug:

2) What kind of hay do you feed her? You might want to try temping her with another type. My vet recomended that when my bunny wasn't eating enough of it while she was sick and that did the trick!
She normally gets timothy hay. (Ironically, her gut functions better on soft-cut hay in general, rather than 1st-cut.)

I did tempt her with a little orchard grass a few times yesterday; she'd only eat a few pieces at a time, though. She really ate very little overall yesterday. Her main intake consisted of 1/2 tsp. of Oxbow BB/T (served in a mash form), another 12 mL's of pellet mash, and about 12 mL's of watery Critical Care. Hay, as I've mentioned, she barely touched. *sigh*

I will try to get her to eat her parsley--she gets a tiny amount--and more orchard grass tonight.

Jenk

Lots of prayers! I lost a bunny to this by the time we noticed it, the intestines were huge and you could feel the blockage from the outside.
try feeding some plain yogurt(No flavor added)it will help keep her from having problems with the antibiotic and help line her stomach a little bit and build up the probiotics in the stomach.

Update: Zoe's back at the vet's for hospitalization for the day, which was planned as of yesterday.

She only passed one fecal in the last 24-hour period (and one fecal during the previous 24-hour period). And she was clearly feeling pained last night. I was up late with her and got up twice more during the night to place her on a heating pad and massage/comfort her.

The vet said the ingested material feels softer this morning, but she's still going to give Zoe IV fluids today; it took more than four hours' for Zoe to absorb the sub-Qs I gave her at 8 pm last night.

The vet will also take another x-ray to compare it to yesterday's x-ray, and she'll give Zoe something for potential ulcer protection. (I think she called it an "H2 blocker.") Of course, Zoe will also be given motility and pain meds., as well as small amounts of Critical Care at timed intervals.

Thank you for all the thoughts and :pray:. If you have a moment, please send a few more Zoe's way; I do believe they're working their potent effects. :hug:

Jenk

We had this happen to a little french angora. The vet gave him mineral oil. This is a drastic measure and most be done with extreme care that they do not asperate it into their lungs. Put a cloth under their chins as mineral oil is very thick and can make a great mess on their fur. Give her one syringe full ( it will not only soften the fecal mass, but help to break it up. Then I would give her plain yogurt, get the kind that has lots and lots of probiotics, to help reset the gut. If you are nervous, get your vet to help, but if she is more comfortable with you that may make her scared.

A more brief update: per the vet, Zoe is nibbling her hay and some Oxbow BB/T pellets. She also passed two fecals--a large one that's normal size for her (due to megacolon), and an even larger one. They're dry/hard, but at least stuff is starting to come out of her with the help of IV fluids.

Jenk

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Come on, Zoe! POOP! Poop like a champion!
LOL Thank you, SnowyShiloh and gmas rabbit.

Today, I've learned that my vet's clinic--i.e., my regular vet and her colleague/employee--doesn't give enemas to rabbits (or any exotic). I spoke to my vet at length about the issue, and she said that she'd be willing to try it (using warm soapy water), IF Zoe's condition worsened and the latest x-rays showed a greater build-up of ingesta material. Thankfully, we may not need to go that route at all.

And in case warm, soapy water sounds I, I swear that I've read somewhere that it's a common enema type--especially if epsom salts or mineral oil is a risky option for a particular bun.

Jenk

:clapping: My aunt had gall bladder surgery 5 decades ago and the Doctor told her she couldn't leave the hospital til she passed some gas. Being a great nephew, I wrote her a poem called "Pass some gas for Lulu, bless her little heart, pass some gas for Lulu, for Lulu cannot fart." She thought it was funny, but her sister didn't.

Unfortunately, Zoe didn't pass any fecal material from the time that brought her home last night (from 8 pm - 7:30 am today). She's been straining, as if trying to urinate, but I suspect it's pooping that she's trying to do. She also drank a lot of water, which I think is due more to pain/discomfort than anything. (Yes, she's on injectable Metacam for pain.)

She's back at the vet's today. Sadly, the vet who's to care for her today is the one who won't give a bun an enema. I still left a note asking her to do so--or to ask Zoe's regular vet to do so. (Zoe's regular vet said she'd try if Zoe's not improving, but she isn't supposed to be treating animals today. She's to be in the clinic for office-related work only; I'm unsure if she'd do anything today.)

I also asked in the note if they'd let me and my husband give Zoe an enema while she's still hospitalized today. If not, my husband said we could take her home tonight and try the enema ourselves. Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

I guess I just don't the "I'm-not-comfortable-trying-this-procedure" attitude when an animal's life is at stake. I suspect that vets attempt risky surgeries often; why not an enema, even if they've heard worrisome anecdotes from other vets' bad experiences?

Zoe needs a lot of prayers today, and so does her family. Hugs and prayers from Benjamin and I. Hang in there. I have seen on this site owners that have used enemas. Maybe post a thread requesting assistance of type.

gmas rabbit wrote:
Zoe needs a lot of prayers today, and so does her family. Hugs and prayers from Benjamin and I. Hang in there. I have seen on this site owners that have used enemas. Maybe post a thread requesting assistance of type.
The vet on duty spoke with her boss, Zoe's regular vet. Between them, they decided that Zoe could stand to at least try to have an enema.

I'd feel better if the pediatric ear-bulb syringe were used, and I offered to bring mine to the vet's office; but the vet on duty told me she'd be more comfortable using the rubber catheter. She assured me, though, that she'll only put it about 1/2" inside of Zoe--the same length that a syringe would be inserted.

If Zoe fights the process too much, she'll call me back to see if I want to try anesthesia. The bad part is that anesthesia majorly works against Zoe's gut; that would be a Catch-22.

Jenk

PS: Please keep your fingers crossed that Zoe doesn't fight the enema, that the process goes off without a hitch, and that the warm soapy water helps break up her fecal mass.

Jen, I am thinking very positive thoughts for Zoe!!! My Ned is sick too but I can only imagine the amount of stress you're under. Let us know how the enema goes!

Latest posts

Back