Zithromax = the winner so far...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunniekrissy

Reaction score
I can't say for certain that Slippers' eye problem is cured, but so far it is looking good. She had her tear duct flushed and was put on a course of Zithromax, which she has been finished with for almost 1 week. Her eye looks really good, the fur around her eye has been completely dry many of the days and some days it is just a tiny bit damp, and the eye itself looks clear. It is my understanding that zithromax stays in the system for a couple of weeks so it may still be working.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!!

:)

:goodjobZithromax

I hope that the infection has subsided.

2 important factors even with an excellent drug like zithromax is that it be dosed correctly and that the rabbit be on it for long enough period of time for it to actually eradicate the infection.
Good luck Slipper :)

Yeah, I had wanted to keep her on the zithromax longer to make sure the infection was completely taken care of, but the vet would not prescribe more, at least until we have another follow-up appointment :-/ She said it is not recommended to use zithromax for too long and wanted to just see how she looks after the one course. It's almost time for a follow up.

I don't know where your vet got her information...but I have had numerous rabbits on Zithromax for months at a time. I have used Zithromax in an ocular infection and in abscess treatments (in conjunction with Penicillin) for a couple of months at a time. The goal is to use an effective drug to completely resolve the infection (or put it in remission in the case of Pasteurella).

Randy

I'm glad it helped and I hope it stays that way. I think some vets worry about zithromax because some bunnies have GI upset and/or loss of appetite on it.

Latest posts

Back