Z...Seizures? HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I have is Bicillin which has both Procaine and Benzathine. I keep it on hand at all times. I always read and was told to not use everyday or for a long period do to immunity build up but I do know you can not believe everything you hear. I just try to be safe.

The vet is hard headed. He went to school with my brothers, he is around 32 or so. Mom said he always acted like a snob, haha.If it is not in the text book or accepted as a safe medicine for a species he flat out refuses to even try it. I know some people can be stupid and want to try something to risky but being the only vet around willing to treat rabbits he should be open minded and willing to research "alternitive" treatments.

Ok, the last paragraph as be a bit confused. I doubt there is a law against them consulting with you, it is Kentucky we are talking about. What laws we have are never inforced it seems.

I talked for a good hour with him before letting him do Becca's spay. He told me how he did things and what he flat out refused to use because he did not feel safe using it, like using anything but gas to put them under. He agreed to give her a shot of that medicine I can not remember the name and send metacam for her to go home on, he said he was not allowed to perscibe narcotics to go home on. Then after he surgeryhe would not tell me but insted had the lady at the desk tell me he refused to give me it for her. I had to fight for the stuff, you would had thought it was gold or something. "I will not be responsible if the rabbit dies from overdose. It is not approved for rabbits, Dr. Hallbrook will give it but I will not be responsible." Ended up that the dose the Dr. told me was just right.

Is Chloramphenicol a normal cat/dog medicine or is it for like horses or something? I will sure call him but I have a feeling I am going to hit a brickwall unless Hallbrook will give it to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramphenicol
Chloramphenical needs to be administered while wearing gloves so that you don't get it on your skin . It, in rare cases causes aplastic anemia.

This seems like a big deal but it really isn't. I am using the the eye ointment after months of trying to find something that would be effective against beau's eye infection.
it is used for animals at this point more than humans in the US but it is a very good antibiotic. Pipp and the forum members in Canada use chlorpalm which is a form of the drug. I believe that pipp uses chlorpalm and bicillin for treatment of abscesses.

it sounds like your vet is like many of the vets here (know everything but really nothing ) but it would be worth it to have him talk to Randy as Randy sounds like a vet whether he is or not and may be able to get his point across. You would need to pm Randy to ask for the number but it may just be the number of Sabrina's

I personaly think that bicillin is a great drug but does not have the ability to transverse the blood-brain barrier which may be necessary for your rabbit.

I would give it a try even if your vet won't call you can know that you tried.

I will be calling as soon as my cousin is home who has long distance. If one of the vets will give it to me mom said she would go pick it up tomarrow whileI am working. If not I am scared he will only get worse because I am stupid with dumb vets.

The turn around is AMAZING! His eyes are not moving uncontrolibly nor is his head. He can walk straight, clean his left side and move how he wants. His head is turned still and he seems to have a lost a little placement control in his left foot but everything else is gone. His head is turned to about 10/11 not 1/2 like I said,I had it backward.

Should I still be sared about letting him near Becca and Mousse? I will not be letting them together but if they touch through the cage will it be ok? Mousse and Becca are finely getting back ok so they now need lots of out playtime together, which I do in the livingroom. I have Z in there too so we can keep watch on him.

Actually no, he was living out in the building with Almond, Burk and Chess. He has not been near Mousse and Becca, ever. Even when he was inside when I first got him he did not come in contact with them that I know of. Right now he is in the livingroom and they are in the hallway about 10 feet away.

I called, he was on a "Cattle Call". She said if she does not call back by 6:30 when she leaves to call at 7 and he should be back. I was really hoping to know if we can get it tonight so mom could go get it tomarrow, dang. It is 4:21 so there is still time.

This prompted me to go over the rabbits, yet again, and I found an abcess on Almond. It is on her lower right(same side, oh no) cheek and that fur is very thick on her so I can see how I missed it, you have to dig down deep and be right on it to see it. It took me a bit to refind it after I checked the rest of her. The only rabbit she can come in contact with is Z and the wire is so small there is no way he caused a sore so it is not from a rabbit scratch/bite. Coincidence?

Now I get to treat her wound and my new scratches and probably even more with the daily cleanings *winces* She hates being off the ground.

Maureen is right that bicillin is usually quite good at abscess treatment. However, the location of the abscess means it could be tooth-related, so you may want to get a dental exam and x-ray to see what's going on there.

Adams would not talk to me but he canperscribe it, however he will only perscribe it "if he thinks the rabbit needs it". So basicly if he thinks it is something diffrent than it is he will not. She could not tell me how much it would be but office visit will be around $25. Plus the two hour round trip drive. I told her what Randy said about talking to him if he did not want to give it.

She said they only carry dog dosage size and Adams is not sure he can dose the size down.

Randy, what would te dose be for a 2.2 lb rabbit? I swear I do not trust this vet, I am afraid I will take Z and then him refuse to give it. If I know the proper dose and can show him proof maybe I can persuade him.

Read this article on chloramphenical. there is some info in here that is difficult for me to interpret re. prolonging the half of life of penicillin and also being some form of antagonist to penciliin (tonyshuman???)
I would be extremely careful if you get this drug as it can be DANGEROUS if it gets on a person. This is a serious drug.

I can give you a drug dose calulator but I don't see anything other than chlorpalm and an injectable chloramphenical on there.
I would not give any dose until you pmd Randy and also ask whether the bicillin should be discontinued.
Pipp has given this drug and so has Randy, however I have not other than as an eye ointment .

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugs/chloramph/chloramph.html

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

The article does say that chloramphenicol makes the body eliminate penicillin less quickly. It also can reduce the effectiveness of of penicillin. So, it may not make sense to continue both drugs at the same time. It may be better just to give the chloramphenicol by itself for an infection in the brain stem. I do not know, however, how much the elimination and effectiveness are affected.

So a reduced effectiveness would mean you want to give more penicilin to get a higher concentration in the body, but a reduced rate of elimination would mean you want to give less to cause fewer side effects and be more careful about reaching the doses where toxic stuff starts to happen. However, if we think the infection is only in the brain, only chloramphenicol can attack it, so it doesn't make sense to give penicillin in combination.

If it's in his brain, Bicillin won't do anything to help him. The prognosis very bad if untreated.

I am trying all I can to get it. I will call again tomarrow and see if Adams will talk to me directly. The soonest I can get him there is thusday. If he will not give it to me I will see if some dog/cat vet will. I am afraid this is going to take to long or I may can not get it. I makes me freakng mad at these dumb*cough* vets are so stupid!

Latest posts

Back