your veiws on colonies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are colonies a good or bad thing?

• Good

• Bad

• I don't know

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Having rabbits on the ground means exposure to parasites. Daniel Salatin of Polyface Farms pretty much gave up trying to raise commercial rabbits on the ground. Now he brings food to them.

Rabbit colonies are very common in Europe, where the Domestic Rabbit is native. In USA we usually keep in cages. But I have seen pictures of some nice fenced colonies where people keep managed herds.

Usually only females in the pens, sometimes one buck. I have a friend who keeps her Angora does who are retired from going to the show in a fenced colony setting.

There are other people who keep their rabbits in "tractors" which are movable pens so the rabbits can have fresh grass every day. Search for "rabbit tractors" on the web.

I have also seen a couple of pictures of what happens when uncontrolled breeding occurs in a fenced colony area as happened to one rescue group recently.

I would suggest having rabbits in cages first to learn the basics before attempting to put in the fenced colonies.

Have a good day!

edited to add: I also prefer to keep rabbits separate because I don't like it when they fight. Sometimes we would let them out to play on a grassy fenced area and they would fight. Fighters get to go back to the cage.

Latest posts

Back