Your thoughts, going to lance abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem my junkie mom ruined my credit before i was 21 and add my school loans to that and care credit becomes a mythical creature !

Best you and I can hope for is selling our stuff! lol
Acacia is fine. A little lump but it's solid and not interfering her eating or activity. She's full of chinning :) And she's on day 7 out of 10 for meds. She'll be fine.
Thanks everybody :)

Cant hurt to try, even with bad credit they may approve you then its 6 months no interest. Their healthcare card so thrir more leinant. I dont have a job and was still approved, even with perfect credit i cant get approved for others due to lack of income.

Im glad shes better and hope she contiues to do so

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Acacia developed an abscess on her lower jaw. The same side she lost bone to an abscess a few years ago.
I called the vet and the earliest they can see her is Friday morning. I just checked in on her and I think I'm going to lance the abscess today. I have sterile needles and syringes from the rx. And I need to pick up saline to flush it.
I am under no illusions. I know she needs a fierce anti-biotic treatment and I have experience in treating post op abscess sloughing as well as abscess lancing.
What are your thoughts?
i opted to not risk a blood infection by lancing the abscess--under the chin-,it does not appear/feel as though it is dental related--therefore houdini-(bun)- has been on chloramphenicol 250mg daily,with a side order of flagyl 25mg,,-the abscess was the size of a small marble and it took 30 days for the abscess to be noticably smaller/shrink,,--azithromycin/flagyl didnot work,,--i do feel lancing would have been a better method due to the wear and tear on the rabbit,,--included also is a feeding 4 x daily to try to stablize body weight and keep the gi tract as normal as possible--(-feedings consist of ground purina rabbit chow,probotics,meloxicam and simethicone-)-this is not my first experience with a lagamorph abscess,usually it is a full facial radiograph,blood test,operation(lance),recovery,--please use betadine to flush the old capsulated area of the abscess,,--note i donot recommend such a high dosage of antibiotics-there is always risk involved,,--sincerely james waller:big wink:special note::-medications can be purchased over the internet--but one must be knowledgeable of them and their usage.. r.o.l library can be usefull or try http://www.medirabbit.com

I'm glad she is feeling better. I hope that the abscess is gone for good.

I wish I had found this forum when we were having so many abscess issues with Hunny. The poor thing got her first at 5 weeks old (huge, bigger than she was) and we continued to have them recur until a few months ago (when she was 7 months) and it turned in to a hard abscess that had to be surgically removed. In the end, the infection had eaten in to the muscle of her front leg and the leg had to be removed. She did really well and you would think she never had the leg with how well she does everything without it. She is faster than her sister and easily hops from one level to another in her cage.

I know areas are all different, vets are different, etc. but I was shocked that you were charged so much for that! Our girl was in the pet hospital for 2 nights and had antibiotics and pain medication and all of that plus the surgery and amputation and our final bill was $188. Then, the vet apologized for charging us that much and explained every expense to the penny. The first time we took her in (and 5 of her litter-mates with her) it was on Sunday and we were charged an after hours fee. He worked on Hunny for 2 hours, checked the other 5, gave each of them a shot of penicillin and sent supplies home with us to continue and we were charged $50. $20 of it was the after hours charge. I am continually shocked at what great work they do for such low cost.

Vets are not regulated here like they are in the mainland and in the USA. There are not many vets here compared to large cities and thus they charge whatever they like.
Thanks, I will continue to give Acacia antibiotics for another 4 days (since I had enough to pre-syringe) and instead of teice a day for 2 and a half days I'll give it to her once a day for 4 days, that way it stays in her system longer.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Vets are not regulated here like they are in the mainland and in the USA. There are not many vets here compared to large cities and thus they charge whatever they like.
Thanks, I will continue to give Acacia antibiotics for another 4 days (since I had enough to pre-syringe) and instead of teice a day for 2 and a half days I'll give it to her once a day for 4 days, that way it stays in her system longer.
--you would be well advised to stay with the same dosage even if it is a shorter period of time,,--these rx,s-diseases,etc. can be studied utilizing wikapedia--the information will describe the med and its half life,etc,etc..,sorry to sound tearse but i am disabled and quite miserable--sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back