Your Rabbitry Goals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarzoo

Reaction score
I thought I'd try to start a little discussion here.

• What short term goals do you have this year for your Rabbitry? (breeding and showing)
  • What long term goals do you have over the next few years for your Rabbitry?

Are you working on winning a specific award? Maybe you are trying to improve your favorite color in your breed? What about adding a new breed or variety to your barn- or even adding a new barn?

Let's hear it!! Please share what your goals are and your plan to achieve them.

:ponder:

I'll get the ball rolling.

Short term:

I plan on attending the ARBA convention and showing my rabbits. That has been a long term goal of mine that is now weeks away from becoming reality. Even though I've been showing rabbits for many years- me, my rabbits and the ARBA convention have never been able to meet up, lol!

Within the next few months I want to add a herd sire quality buck to my rabbitry out of different (but not too different!) bloodlines from what I have now. I need a buck with wide shoulders and thick ears with no ear control. Would like a dense but not cottony senior coat.

Long Term:

I hope to add about 4-5 cages to my rabbitry. Ideally, I'd like to be in my own house within the next few months. At that point I want a dedicated building for my rabbitry with the ability to have around 15-20 holes. Though I love hanging cages, I would deal with trays if it meant it were possible for me to have an A/C in my rabbitry. But that might be a bit unrealistic for the near future. (One can dream!)

I would love to someday breed a BIS fuzzy lop.

Here's my goals:

Short Term

Get a purebred Mini Rex breeding buck for my doe. This may be happening on this Thursday! (9/27/07)

Train my buck, Magic, some more in rabbit hopping.

Long Term

Get ALL wire cages for my rabbitry. Have around 15 holes, and a seperate building for the nursery which will include one two-story nesting cage for the does and young kits. Also it will have loads of storage space for all of our equipment.

Get lots of profressional jumps, made by my dad, for jumping.

Get lots of people to come to my rabbit hopping training classes. (so far only 1)

If i think of anything else, I'll add it.

My short term goals are to improve my sable point mini rex to the point that

they can compete for BOB and to set the type in my other varieties.

My long term goals are to develop my own distinct line of rabbits that are

consistent in type and fur and to eventually pass on all of the nice stock

I started with to others to help them out. I want my pedigrees to only have

my rabbitry name on every rabbit.

Roger

My short term goals are becoming a reality. I have managed to get a good opal and agouti doe (chestnut) to improve the opal bucks i currently have. Now i just need to breed them on and see how we go.

LONG TERM- i want to breed stunning blue otter netherlands and win a BOB with them to prove to all the scottish breeders that it doesn't need to be a REW to win:)and to get my name known as having good rabbits so that breeders will come to me for the colours i breed:).

These are great, guys!

It will feel so good to look back on these goals in a few months and realize what you've accomplished.

Anyone else have goals for their rabbitry? They can be very simple, too- I think it's great to share what we are striving for.

At the moment my goals are simply keeping my rabbits healthy, as I have lost a few in a short space of time. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it, and the problem has now been fixed so fingers crossed it's the end of that awful bad spell.

Other than that, I'm hoping for some good babies from Jay and Mulch that I'll be able to show...if I ever get the time.:grumpy:

Long term I'd love to breed some really nice show quality magpie Rex as they're so hard to find and I think it's a shame because they're gorgeous.

My goals are probably going to seem very strange....but I have them because I'm trying to decide whether to stay in breeding lionheads or to get out of it.

First of all - I have well over 100 rabbits. I have so many partly because I don't cull hard enough - for instance, I have some bucks with maloclussion that I simply trim their teeth and keep them. Their parents are never bred again - but I don't put these rabbits down. I simply keep them here.

So my first goal is to cut way back on rabbits. Because I live in a community (Texas border town) where rabbits are considered food...I'm very careful on who and what I rehome rabbits with. I try to only place bucks so I don't sell a doe and then have her bred over and over and over again every few weeks.

I'd like to rehome about 1/4 of my herd fairly soon. I'm starting the process in the next few days (an advertisement, etc).

Then - I'd like to do some limited breedings to improve type and mane (lionheads) and to get ... finally....CHOCOLATE lionheads. I now have the potential to get them in brokens and solids - its just sorta there - but I don't have cage space or emotional energy right now to deal with it.

So I'm going to say my short term goals are to rehome 1/4 - 1/2 of my herd so I can then focus on working on the color I love (chocolate) and on some brokens too.

I'll decide from there if I want to stay in lionheads and if I can handle it.

Peg

My short term goal is to do well at convention. I have a couple of nice Juniors in Dutch and in Jersey Woolies so we shall see. I am also hoping to sell a couple of them out there as I have never had any for sale at a convention. This time, I am having a hard time deciding which I will keep.

My long term goals are to fix some on my old cages or just replace them. I would also like to add Gray Dutch to my herd or maybe try to develop Blue-Gray Dutch (called opal in all other breeds). That takes commitment and a lot of space. In order to work on a color or a breed you need about 25 cages just for them. I only have 31 at the moment. Someday.

These will change of course.

Sharon

My short term goals are to improve my blues and blacks and have really good rabbits totake to the 2008 Flemish National in North Carolina! (And to save enough money that I can go!)

Mylong term goals are to improve the rise and bone in my Blue Flemish.... without using sandys, fawns, whites or other non-genetically compatable colors! :nono

And very long term..... to improve the blues to the point where they can be seriously considered for a BOB, even over the Sandy's and Fawns... OK, and to win a BOB with a blue at aSpecialty show....(I did it once at a smallshowagainst 6 out of 7 colors. Kudo's to a judge willing to place a BLUE!)

okay, so i am not a breeder(anymore)

but i hope to one day get back into breeding. . .

so i thought i would add my long term "dream" to the list

when i get back into breeding i want to work on english lops, first learn, or re-learn about the breed, get back into showing, ect.

then after i have a well established herd i want to work twards BEW english lops, and/or chocolate/lilac english lops. . . i think they would be stunning in all 3 or those colors!

Hi,

My short term goal for my rabbitry is.......Getting more holes, and to find homes for the lionheads I have left (I have stopped breeding them to focus on my Hollands)

My Long term goal is....... to improve on my Holland Lops I would like to see them a bit wider in the rump and shoulders. I am hoping to do this by breeding my Emma with my Vegas and hopefully those kits will start off a strong show line. I also would like to attend a ARBA Convention maybe in 2008.

She has amazing rabbits. :biggrin2:

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
My short term goal is to do well at convention. I have a couple of nice Juniors in Dutch and in Jersey Woolies so we shall see. I am also hoping to sell a couple of them out there as I have never had any for sale at a convention. This time, I am having a hard time deciding which I will keep.

My long term goals are to fix some on my old cages or just replace them. I would also like to add Gray Dutch to my herd or maybe try to develop Blue-Gray Dutch (called opal in all other breeds). That takes commitment and a lot of space. In order to work on a color or a breed you need about 25 cages just for them. I only have 31 at the moment. Someday.

These will change of course.

Sharon

My short term goal needs to be revised because I just met it recentally at a ARBA Open Show. I won BOB out of 58 Mini lop Rabbits and Best of Class with that rabbits younger brother in the same show.

My long term goals are to breed Red and Orange Mini Lops and get BOB (Or BIS. :biggrin2:) with those colors as well. It's a forseeable goal and I'll be so excited when I meet it.

Wow, you guys have awesome goals :D

I'm not a breeder. But I've always had this dream (Which will probably stay a dream...at least for many years to come, if not forever) of creating an entirely new breed of rabbit. (People are still doing it: Look at Velveteen Lops )

I always really loved the Belgian Hare type, but I'd probably (And I'm such going off on wild fantasy here, so don't take me seriously, haha ) try to make the bone more sturdy, and entirely massacre the color. I'm talking a blue-eyed broken blue tort, here. (I really like the broken patterns, I'd probably try to develop it in as many colors as I could....but I'd probably keep the blue eyes as much as possible. I really like that for rabbits.) Also, maybe make the rabbit size a little larger. That's all I can think of for now :p

(Again, don't take me serioously and take up a lot of your time writing lengthy posts ((Which would be very logical and make a lot more sense than me)) about how this would not be possible because of such and so reasons. Juuuust saying it would be a really cool idea )

~Diana and Butter

Latest posts

Back