Your opinions please :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Someone I once came acrosstold meoff fortaking pics of babies without their eyes open, and for taking them away from mum to check them over. She also said that on most of the forums that she went on, they had a rule saying that no one can post pics of babies without their eyes open.

I guess I am just interested on your views of these things, mainly because this is a forum where there is no rule about posting no pics of kits until their eyes are open.

I'm not trying to get a rule in like this, I truly am just interested on your views. I don't know this person anymore, so nothing will be going any further and I won't be using anything anyone says in anyway, I truly am just interested in a variety of points of view on these subjects.

So I just wondered

a, What your views are on taking pics of very young kits.

b, What your views are on removing the kits from mum to check them over.

c, And also what you think of a rule stopping people posting pics of kits with their eyes closed

Don't understand why it is bad to take pics of babies without their eyes open. Could be a stress thing. I have never had a problem nor have I heard of people having problems. I have been asked by people if it would be o.k. to use a flash when taking pics of rabbits. I tell them the rabbits are not bothered by it as long as it is not in their face (people would feel the same way:).

You should always check the babies over everyday no matter how old they are. If one dies and you didn't know about it, it either is left with the others (which will cause disease), or the mother finds it and eats it. This could cause her to become sick.

Also, you want to check the nest everyday to be sure that it is clean. Don't want bugs to get in there.

Sharon

Here's what I think:

a) Nothing wrong with taking pictures. I have always taken pictures of babies from a very young age. Never had anything wrong with any of them, and they have all been very well adjusted young bunnies.

b) I always take babies out of the nest box everyday to check them over and socialize. You have to be careful they don't get cold, but other than that not much to worry about. I haven't had a mother reject babies yet, and I have fostered mothers that have never met me and are skittish around people.

c) I don't see why you would have a ban on pics with young babies. It should be up to the individual handler whether or not they feel the mom will be comfortable with someone touching the babies all the time. Each mother and situation is different.

--Dawn

I agree with the above points. I never use a flash with kits, but I see no harm in placing them on something warm and cosy to take photos. I also check them everyday too, so why not get a few photos at the same time!

I see nothing wrong with flash.

In the real world, there are brighter things than a flash. And the flash duration is much shorter than 1/250 of a second. If there is little reaction to flash, then the subject if fine with it.

You couldalways use bounce flash.

Rainbows! :)

I don't use flash anymore because I once had a litter with two albinos in it, and when the flash went off one of them jumped and made an awful noise. Kind of like an adult rabbits scream but shorter, and it scared the heck out of me! Maybe it was just a fluke, or because it was more sensitive being albino, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to risk it after that!

I also worry about it because the kits naturally wouldn't even see daylight until they left the nest.

I usually avoid flash where possible in any type of photography though, I think natural/studio lighting always looks better!:D

I don't see a problem with it.

I would see a problem with it if you were taking pics and trying to sell them at that age.....saying, "Reserve your bunny now" and you don't really know anything about the bunny (that isn't to say it is never done).

I find that checking my babies every day makes them more social and I really don't see a problem with it.

Then again - I have pics of babies in my blog that don't have their eyes open yet - to show folks what they look like...

Peg

i don't know why they say that either but the other forum i go on says the same, i like tokeep a record of them too, nethies can be pretty jumpy and if i don't handle one as much then it is a nightmare to keep hold of i usually check them on day1 then handle them every day as long as the mum lets me.

Latest posts

Back