Your Idea of the BEST Cross-breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a very good question...but do you mean for personality? colour? Or just anything?

I personally think the best cross-breed would be a BEW Sport or a Vienna marked rabbit with blue eyes... unless that also is a BEW Sport. lol.

So I'd have to say, I would breed the best cross breed for colour. ;) Don't know what breeds would be able to create this colour though, but I just love VM's.

Emily

Angora and a french lop, breed so that the rabbit is huge, really fluffy and has big lop ears. Just think it would be cute.

There's no such thing as a great crossbreed.... xD

Because you can't show em. Or do anything with them. Even the rabbit's meat qualities would be thrown off, depending.

And so many things are recessive (lopped ears, wool, rex fur... to name a few). You'd just get normal furred, uppy eared, bunnies, most commonly.

I think perhaps what she is asking, is a make believe game. If you could have the qualities of any bunny breeds together what would they be?

A dutch mini-rex? A rex flemish? A giant lionhead?

If you could create any breed of rabbit, what would it be?

Am I right?

However, you are correct Erins Rabbits, cross breeds don't normally have all the wonderfuly properties of both mom and dad. If anything, then end up losing all the special traits unique to a breed. It takes years (decades) and many breeders diligently working together to create a new breed that breeds true and fits a standard.

--Dawn

Not a cross breed per say but I wish flemmies came in more colors. I'd love a black otter or harlequin flemmie.

aurora369 wrote:
I think perhaps what she is asking, is a make believe game. If you could have the qualities of any bunny breeds together what would they be?

A dutch mini-rex? A rex flemish? A giant lionhead?

If you could create any breed of rabbit, what would it be?

Am I right?

However, you are correct Erins Rabbits, cross breeds don't normally have all the wonderfuly properties of both mom and dad. If anything, then end up losing all the special traits unique to a breed. It takes years (decades) and many breeders diligently working together to create a new breed that breeds true and fits a standard.

--Dawn

I know that's what she's asking.

Honestly? I love the breeds I've got. Wouldn't change a thing, they're awesome.

I like "mutt" rabbits! :D I would love to see a lop or mini-rex with Dutch markings. I've never seen them. It's not that they don't exist or anything, but I've just never come across one!

i would like a beglium hare crossed with a standard rex... yeah..

belgian-hare-rabbit.jpg
bianca3.jpg
belgiums

3buns.JPG
rexes i really want

aurora369 wrote:
It takes years (decades) and many breeders diligently working together to create a new breed that breeds true and fits a standard.

I am very lucky to know a breeder who is developing the Canadian Plush Lops. They have the softness of rex fur that is curly, crowned lops, full arched and wonderful temperament.

Here is a French Lop and Flemish Giant mix if I remember correctly.

5jxo9w.jpg

Saudade wrote:
I think my opinions on this are already public.

Dutch x Rex
Dutch Rex are showable in the UK, although they are now extinct, they were bred and shown for a short time in the 60's I believe. They are supposed to be to Rex standard but with Dutch pattern. I wish they hadn't given up on them!

irishlops wrote:

I'm very tempted to try that! :biggrin2:That would make a fantastic rabbit. I know a breeder over here produced a Rex x Belgian Hare litter recently, she called them "Harex" and sold them for £50 each!

Probably the best cross is Californian x New Zealand. I've heard that they are a great cross for market rabbits, and the outcome is useful. :)

id have to say english lop and flemish giant. bigger broader body, skinny face-the renaceince(sp?) looking face, plus long ears that are skinny and hang down :) plus something about the english lop tails seem to different and cool to me

Jenson wrote:
irishlops wrote:

I'm very tempted to try that! :biggrin2:That would make a fantastic rabbit. I know a breeder over here produced a Rex x Belgian Hare litter recently, she called them "Harex" and sold them for £50 each!
omg!!!!!! yeah... i love that

Pet_Bunny wrote:
aurora369 wrote:
It takes years (decades) and many breeders diligently working together to create a new breed that breeds true and fits a standard.

I am very lucky to know a breeder who is developing the Canadian Plush Lops. They have the softness of rex fur that is curly, crowned lops, full arched and wonderful temperament.

Here is a French Lop and Flemish Giant mix if I remember correctly.

5jxo9w.jpg
I would love a lop like that how cute! If only people in Ireland didn't do stupid crosses just to sell them and make money!

Whats the point of crossing a Flemish and a Frenchie? I like the French Lops as they are...crossing it with a Flemish is just kinda narrow and lanky. I think I like the original chunky French.

Latest posts

Back