Younger bun mounting older bun (both females)

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Behavior' started by dhill711, Nov 21, 2012.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1

dhill711

dhill711

dhill711

Sally our mini lop is nearly 8 months and has always been laid back. I have read that they go through "puberty" around 4 months however I have not seen any indications of this in her as of yet. Saddie on the other hand is 4 months and today I caught her mounting sally and running after her taking chunks of hair out of her. We immediately seperated them :( Sally cannot be spayed as she has a heart murmer. If I spay Saddie do you think they will get along after? They were so sweet together up til now. Any other suggestions? Thank you so much :?

2. Nov 21, 2012 #2

KittyKatMe

KittyKatMe

KittyKatMe

I don't recommend it. If one is unspayed, it will get territorial and try to injure the spayed one. If possible, you could get a neutered male, bond him with the spayed female, and put them next to the unspayed female. But that's only if you're ready to get another:p

3. Nov 21, 2012 #3

agnesthelion

agnesthelion

agnesthelion

You cannot keep two females together unless they are both spayed. It is a recipe for a fight :( not the answer you want to hear I'm sure, but it is what it is.
    You need to seperate them now. Fighting among unspayed females, well any unfixed buns actually, can be very dangerous.....if not deadly. But females tend to be the most territorial and I'd be willing to bet that the fighting will only get worse from here.
    I'm from the mindset that you can't consider buns bonded unless they are both fixed. Since you have one with a health condition, you can attempt it but be aware of fight chances. Also, same sex bonds, let alone buns with an unfixed partner, are more prone to spontaneous fighting.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I have just bonded two buns myself so I know how much it means to have two that get along. You may have a tiny chance things could work but unfortunately alot working against you....

4. Nov 21, 2012 #4

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

5. Nov 22, 2012 #5

dhill711

dhill711

dhill711

agnesthelion wrote:
    :( so there is no chance that they will ever get along? Do the hormones ever subside? wow I am so sad boo. Guess they will have to take turns exercising. Thank You!

6. Nov 22, 2012 #6

agnesthelion

agnesthelion

agnesthelion

I wouldnt say there is NO chance it's just alot working against you especially since they have already started fighting.

You can try to bond if you want. What I would do is completely seperate for a couple weeks so they "forget" about each other. Then start with small bunny dates in a neutral room and go slowly from there. As I said there is still a risk for spontaneous fighting so you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk.

7. Nov 22, 2012 #7

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

agnesthelion wrote:
    But I wouldn't try it until after the young one is spayed.

8. Nov 22, 2012 #8

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

agnesthelion wrote:
    But I wouldn't try it until after the young one is spayed.

9. Nov 22, 2012 #9

dhill711

dhill711

dhill711

Blue eyes wrote:
    :D Thank You!!!