Young rabbits constantly nipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
I have two young rabbits (around 13 weeks old) that are constantly nipping at my clothes. I don't usually mind but if they catch some skin with it, then it hurts. They also dig a lot at my clothing. Why might they be doing this? How can I stop these behaviors?

I would say, just wait it out, quite likely it will reduce when they mature, and you'll miss it then :D
You can't really train out instincts, if it hurts pull away a little, or give them cuddles, they are not going to eat you ;)
They are juvenils, no matter what species, there are some behaviours that are more prominent during this time.

If they're nipping, they could be wanting your attention.

Or if it's painful then that generally means they don't like whatever it is you're doing to them or they don't want the attention. When they do this, make a loud squeak or sound (like EEK). Be consistent with it so they will eventually understand that they are hurting you. If that doesn't work, gently push their head to the ground with your hand and hold it there for a few seconds. This is how rabbit's scold each other.

Digging is a natural instinct. My rabbit LOVES to dig, especially at soft things like my blanket. I don't mind it as long as she's not ruining it which she hasn't. You can create a dig box for them so they can make better use of their energy on something else if it bothers you.

Our n/male middle-aged Harlequin boy still nips to communicate that we're in his way.

Have you talked to your rabbit-savvy DVM about future spay and neuter surgery?

Do you know their genders? Hormones are ready to activate at that age; 10 weeks for boys and testosterone. Be careful as we had a teenage dutch get pregnant.

That man from the old-tech farm misgendered our dutches. Hope you didn't get oppposite genders and you'll have an unexpected litter of babies to later spay and neuter, also.

Re: Digging. I once had a very frisky Holland Lop doe who seemed to want to dig. I put her in the edge of my garden and she went bonkers, furiously digging a tunnel. Her back legs were strong and worked like 2 shovels. She was not pregnant, she just wanted to dig. She was a 4 lb house bunny but fancied herself a hare digging on the moor. She was not prissy, definitely tomboy hare in her mind.

Latest posts

Back