Young Bunny Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a worrier and I have been doing tonsof reading about young bunny care after getting Orion thisweekend. He is 4-5 weeks according to my vet. Ihave probably done too much reading, but now I've seen all of theseconflicting things, so I have a couple of questions:

1. I have timothy pellets and alfalfa pellets. Myolder bunnies get timothy, but what should he get? And untilwhat age?

2. I know he should get unlimited pellets now, but until he is how old?

3. Should he be getting timothy or alfalfa hay orboth? When should I change to all timothy/other grass hays?

4. When should I introduce veggies? I actually readsomething today that basically said that rabbits are designed to eatveggies, so they can be fed from weening on and then read somethingthat said absolutely none until 6 mon.

5. I'm thinking it must vary by breed, but in general, how long do bunnies grow?

Thanks for any help,

Jen

I don't know enough tocorrectly answer all of them; but I do know why you should not giveyoung bunnies veggies/fruits. Many younger rabbits will getsevere diarhhea(aww cheez... I can never remember how tospell it!!) if fed veggies before about 6 months. Now, I madethe mistake of feeding Umbra broccoli at about 2 months, and nothinghappened, but I know better now, and I wouldn't want to take therisk. Also, when they reach the age to feed them veggies,make sure you gradually introduce them to it to avoid diarrhea (ooh...that time it looks right!!). Just what I've read andlearned.

--Melissa and Umbra

Giving bunnies veggies is more about slowlyintroducing them, rather than at what age is best. If yourbun has diarrhea from the veggies, stop or reduce the amount you aregiving. I have read that you should start introducing timothyhay around 6 months, however I give my 3 1/2 month old bun a mix ofalfalfa and timothy, because it will then be less hard to get him toaccept the timothy when its time to fully switch him over.you get what I'm saying?

Younger bunnies need alfalfa hay and alfalfa basedpelletsbecause it provides them with the calcium they need to growstrongbones.I think that rabbits should always havean unlimited supply of hay...but you should start limiting theirpellets when they are around 6 months to a year...and I have heard thatthey also stop growing around 6 months to a year, but I could bewrong...Also...I think the best veggie to start them on isromaine....hope that helps.

-Vanessa

Latest posts

Back