Young Bunny - Dark Poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a foster bunny who was rescued 1 month ago. His name is Noah and he is 4.5-5 months old according to the vet.

He was extremely underweight when he was found and is filling out nicely, but is still quite thin.

I currently feed him unlimited Timothy hay, a bunch of fresh mixed herbs (probably 9 or 10 sprigs) 1/4 cup alfalfa pellets and a small portion of a Timothy hay cube as a treat.

His poops are all the same size and shape and are not soft, but they are quite dark. Is this a sign that he is getting too much protein and that I should start transitioning him onto a Timothy hay pellet? Or am I giving him too many veggies?

Here’s a picture, just because he’s so adorable 🥰

Attachments

• 73CDE2A5-CDCA-4E68-BA95-DA0AC13D989C.jpeg
    73CDE2A5-CDCA-4E68-BA95-DA0AC13D989C.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 7
Hi All

I have a foster bunny who was rescued 1 month ago. His name is Noah and he is 4.5-5 months old according to the vet.

He was extremely underweight when he was found and is filling out nicely, but is still quite thin.

I currently feed him unlimited Timothy hay, a bunch of fresh mixed herbs (probably 9 or 10 sprigs) 1/4 cup alfalfa pellets and a small portion of a Timothy hay cube as a treat.

His poops are all the same size and shape and are not soft, but they are quite dark. Is this a sign that he is getting too much protein and that I should start transitioning him onto a Timothy hay pellet? Or am I giving him too many veggies?

Here’s a picture, just because he’s so adorable 🥰

I have no advice, but you are right, he is ADORABLE!!! 😍 😍 😍

Sounds like you're doing everything exactly right. He's a lucky boy. Don't worry about poop colour, dark is fine as long as the droppings are a reasonable size.

Looks fine, don't worry. You could experiment with adding some other grass hay if you can get it but not at all essential.
I was going to try all the buns with some oat hay this week, but my supplier has totally run out of both oat and Timothy hay, so they’re on the Burgess packet stuff at the moment. They don’t seem to mind, but the quality is no where near as good. I think we’re feeling the impact of the Suez Canal issue.

Latest posts

Back