Yogurt drops...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickZac

Reaction score
So my bun LOVES Kaytee Fiesta Blueberry Yogurt Drops. There is no treat that she likes more despite having searched a lot and most treats she doesn't even like at all. However, I realize that yogurt contains some things in it that their digestive systems really are not well equipped to break down. I try to feed her at max 1 drop every other day or less because of it. I am curious as to how harmful these treats have the potential to be? Thanks

I've never even looked at them to see if they really contained yogurt or were all artificial chemicals. And I don't know which would be better. Have you tried real blueberries? They'd probably have to be dried or thawed frozen this time of year.

I know that they aren't the healthiest but I have to admit, I am guilty of giving them to our bunnies on occasion. They just go crazy for them like nothing else.

Ours have gotten one in the morning as long as we've had them. We've had Coal for over 8 years and she was over 5 when she came to us. Dr. Dean Edell put it best on the news one night. He said you can watch what you eat like a fanatic and you might add two or three years to your life, but it will be a long, boring life. Instead, moderation is the key. I got thumped on the topic of treats before about the above statement, but our babies won't live forever no matter what we do and WE WANT them to be HAPPY while they are with us.

LakeCondo wrote:
I've never even looked at them.
I meant I never considered buying them, so had no reason to look at a package. Rabbits don't know what they're not getting. Honey's treat is a few pellets twice a day. She's up on her hind legs when she sees the egg-sersize ball.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Ours have gotten one in the morning as long as we've had them. We've had Coal for over 8 years and she was over 5 when she came to us. Dr. Dean Edell put it best on the news one night. He said you can watch what you eat like a fanatic and you might add two or three years to your life, but it will be a long, boring life. Instead, moderation is the key. I got thumped on the topic of treats before about the above statement, but our babies won't live forever no matter what we do and WE WANT them to be HAPPY while they are with us.

So true. Quality of life is key. I've tried blueberries but she isnt into them like these drops. I guess I'll go on giving her small amounts as she loooooves them so so muvch

Tobes is getting "fluffy" too I've noticed... poor boy, I guess that's what happens when you get the snippity snip.

Subject of treats, I absolutely agree moderation is key. I still give my boy his veggie puffs now and then, I've never tried the yogurt ones though I'm sure he'd run laps for a taste.

Hahaha I call my cat Fatty, but he's kind of not too bright so he doesn't understand. He actually comes when I call him that XD haha.

I haven't tried the yogert drops with Harvey, he's already kind of a chow hound so I don't need to give him more treats haha. He gets either craisens, bananna chips, or oats. Oddly enough Harvey has gotten leaner since living with me. Better diet I think. And more space to run around.

I would only be concerned about the amount of sugar in them and that they have milk which has a lot of calcium and is hard to break down in their stomach.

I guess we dont really know what happens in their little stomach so whether is does any damage or not who knows. I personally wouldn't give Rocky anything with dairy. If your bun has a good diet and is pretty healthy and they dont upset her stomach then the odd one every now and then probably wont hurt.

Have you tried craisins? Rocky would chew my arm off to get to one lol They are full of sugar also but no dairy :)

Kizza wrote:
I would only be concerned about the amount of sugar in them and that they have milk which has a lot of calcium and is hard to break down in their stomach.

I guess we dont really know what happens in their little stomach so whether is does any damage or not who knows. I personally wouldn't give Rocky anything with dairy. If your bun has a good diet and is pretty healthy and they dont upset her stomach then the odd one every now and then probably wont hurt.

Have you tried craisins? Rocky would chew my arm off to get to one lol They are full of sugar also but no dairy :)

That I have not tried...I may have to give it a go! Thanks!

I save yogurt drops for special occasions- holidays, birthdays, trip to the vet. I have had the same package for over a year. I keep them sealed in a glass jar in the fridge so they don't spoil.

Most of the time I use bannana chips or crasins for a special treat. Right now Becky has to take antibiotics so I give her a fruit snack after dosing since she puts up with the whole procedure (oral antibiotic, simithicone, eye drops, ear drops, bene bac, tummy rub)

pamnock wrote:
They are not "harmful", but should only be given as an occasional snack (corn and sugar are primary ingredients) Maltodextrin, another form of sugar is also a primary ingredient.

Here's an ingredient list: http://www.vitacost.com/Kaytee-Fiesta-Yogurt-Dipped-Treats-for-Small-Animals
I wouldn't want Honey to eat them. Besides what others have mentioned, there's the artificial flavors & colors.

Vitacost is a great site though. Check out the dried fruit, both for you & for pet treats.

Latest posts

Back