Yofi, Anna and the Crew, 2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Yofi disappears, it isn't cause we bribed him with unlimited blueberries here in Texas...nope...not at all.

Thanks guys, about the warm wishes for my sister. She has been having her emotional ups and downs over the treatments...well, side effects of the treatments. But we're all getting together for her 50th birthday, and even some of her childhood friends are going to fly in for it. That should help to lift her spirits. Plus once the treatments do finally end the weather should be really nice, so hopefully she'll take a few weeks off and spend some well-deserved down time at her cottage.

When Yofi disappears, it isn't cause we bribed him with unlimited blueberries here in Texas...nope...not at all.

Yeah, right....! And since Texas is renowned for everything being bigger, I definitely won't let The Boy see pics of those Texan booberries. He'd be gone in a flash, suitcase packed and thumb stuck out, hitching a ride alllll the way down to the Panhandle and beyond. Anna would be following along behind too, scurrying as fast as she can, straw hat on her head so she doesn't get a sunburn on her delicate features, and yelling, "Wait for me! WAIT...FOR...MEEEE!!"

Oh, speaking of Anna: Last weekend when I was cleaning out the main rabbit cage, Anna managed to disappear from the bunny room. I couldn't find her anywhere, and it struck me as odd that she had ventured out, as normally she won't go anywhere beyond those four walls without Yofi. I searched up and down for her (which didn't take long, my house is tiny), and finally headed back to the bunny room again. Looked in every corner there again. Even looked behind one of the litter pans just in case she'd managed to find a hidey-hole there. But...no Anna.

And then I noticed something strange. Yofi was running back and forth around the front of the other, temporary cage that I had Anna in while Yof was battling his infection. Cage is still in the room, I haven't removed it just in case I still have to use it. Anyway, here was The Boy going back and forth, back and forth, every so often standing on his hind legs to peer into the cage, obviously checking for his lady love. But Anna wasn't in the cage; the door was shut and, even if it had been open, was much too high for her to be able to jump inside. At first I thought that Yofi was upset because Anna had somehow darted from the room, and was looing for her in the most obvious place, her old cage....but then I thought I heard something faint. A shuffle, like somebody was trying to adjust their weight.

Then it finally dawned on me, and I got down on hands and knees and looked below...and this is what I found:

P1287219.jpg

I'd been running the vacuum cleaner just prior to this, sucking up fur and bunny balls from the vet bedding in their main cage, and Anna must have decided that she'd had enough. She found her own little safe place and scurried into it, and remained there until I'd finished all cleaning. Must admit, Anna can be pretty adept at hiding sometimes. :)

Poor Anna, afraid of the vacuum. I don't one that isn't. Smart girl to find a place to stay safe until that nasty machine is put away.

What a sweetie she is. But she should tell Yofi the next time where she goes so he won't worry.

K :)

Actually, Yofi is a rabbit who doesn't show any fear of the vacuum whatsoever. And I have the equivalent of a ShopVac, so those things can be pretty noisy. But Yofi continues to run all over the place and even goes up to the vacuum, sniffs it and continues on his merry way, even when it's on. Anna is the only one with enough bunny sense to avoid it like the plague.

Yep, Anna found her own safe place, and I do admire her for that. I hated having to pull her out of there actually, but she was fine once the vac was turned off. With Yofi, he's never fine until FUD is presented to him...the juicier and sweeter, the better. :p

Hey Di, someone just posted a thread asking about E-Lops, so I sent a link to your blog...

Which of course means I just reread the entire thing again,

Which of course means I need an update! That whole thing reminded me of those kids books, "If you give a moose a muffin" or "If you give a mouse a cookie". I think there's a pig one too, but I can't remember it :p

MarisaAndToby wrote:
Hey Di, someone just posted a thread asking about E-Lops, so I sent a link to your blog...

Which of course means I just reread the entire thing again,

Which of course means I need an update! That whole thing reminded me of those kids books, "If you give a moose a muffin" or "If you give a mouse a cookie". I think there's a pig one too, but I can't remember it :p

Oh dear, I've been very lax when it comes to updating poor Yofi's thread! It was kind of a sucky winter here, not feeling well through most of it, and overworked at work, AND worried about my sister and my older dog, Kaya. Must admit I was also a bit lax at giving both Anna and Yofi the attention they deserve because of everything that was going on, but now that there's a break in the weather (when you walk outside now, your breath doesn't automatically freeze), my sister is finally finished her chemo (YAY!) and has been doing great, all things considered, and Kaya, my 15-yr-old cattle dog mix, bounced back from a 'near-death experience' recently and is doing much better. SO....I at least have to give a bit of an update on the rabbits, and hopefully will get back in the habit of maintaining Yofi's thread. (Oh, I've never heard of those childrens' books, "If you give a moose a muffin" and "If you give a mouse a cookie"! lol...I'll have to look them up just to see what they're like. ;))

Well, the scoop on Anna and Yofi is that they are still status quo...which is a good thing. Actually, a great thing, given Yofi's own brush with the Grim Reaper last year. For anyone who doesn't know, last year Yofi developed an abscess on his chest, which cleared up fairly quickly...but then he decided to follow it up with a chaser of skin infection. And not just any infection; no, this one had to be the mother of all infections, of course...because Yofi tends to do everything BIG. The final prognosis on him from the vet - after the infection seemed to be somewhat contained via antibiotics - was that the Yofster would have to sport a cone of shame for the rest of his life, given the fact that every time said cone was removed, the infection would come raging back within a week...a result of Yofi (and perhaps Anna) overgrooming the site. It meant that the infection was still in his body despite all efforts to get rid of it, and the only way to keep it at bay was to protect the area. So he wore a cone for months; a solution that might have been ideal for the said infection, but not so ideal in all other aspects. The cone prevented Yofi from being able to clean his eyes, so every day I had to wash down his face and apply eye cream; he wasn't able to groom his "back door", so those lovely soft night cecals became squished and stomped on, and he left an odorous trail all over the rabbit room. And he kept banging the cone on everything...and I mean everything, including me. I wound up sporting many minor bruises to the backs of my legs as Yofi loved following me around the house, and since his cone projected outward and managed to reach me before his nose did, I got thunked a lot. And then Anna decided that she too didn't care for the cone, and began methodically chewing the edges until it transgressed into some weird, sharp "Picassanna" work of art. It was not fun.

Anyway, to make a long story a bit shorter...about 5 months ago I decided to give him another try without the cone. So I began removing it on weekends when I was home all day and could check on him frequently. Then I began leaving it off him when I'd go to work in the daytime. Then finally, I left it off him overnight...prime time for a rabbit to go into self-grooming mode. And now the cone has been off him permanently for about 4 months. And you know, the infection has not come back. His chest and upper leg have completely healed and are also completely furred over once again, and Yofi no longer over-grooms the area. He looks absolutely fine...in other words, I think it's finally safe to say that The Boy has beat the odds. He is once again a healthy, happy, get-into-everything E-lop, and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Now, to go on to Kaya for a moment...I can't recall what I wrote about her in this thread, but Kaya was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour on her right hind leg a couple of months ago. This type of tumour is quite common in older dogs, and can also be very aggressive, and very deadly. Kaya had been sporting a lump on her hind leg for about a year, and when I first noticed it I took her in to the clinic to be checked. She does have fatty deposit lumps all over her body (again, common with older dogs) but I was concerned over this one because it felt different...harder, firmer. The vet that saw her though (not her regular vet, who wasn't available) examined her and said that she felt it was just another fatty deposit, and explained that it probably felt different because of the location on her body, and to just keep an eye on it for any changes. Unfortunately I decided to go with what the vet said, and just kept an eye on it instead of having a biopsy done.

Fast-forward to this year...about 2 months ago I thought that the lump on Kaya's leg seemed a bit larger, so I booked her in to see her regular vet. I was going to arrange to have her go for teeth cleaning, and at the same time have a biopsy done on the lump. Unfortunately, in between making the appointment and the actual day of (said appointment), the lump suddenly changed. Dramatically. It was a Friday evening, and Kaya's vet appt was for the following Monday. Late in the evening she began sneezing non-stop, which was odd...yet I didn't think much of it. And her leg seemed like it might be a bit swollen, though it was so subtle that I wasn't certain. The next morning when I got up, there was Kaya...leg grotesquely swollen, head hanging down, and she felt hot. I called the clinic and begged them to see her right away, and they managed to squeeze her in with a 12:30 appointment. From the time I called at 9:00 am, until the time of the appt at 12:30, her leg got even worse. Much worse. So when I got her to the vets they did bloodwork and examined her, and then she had to be rushed to an emergency clinic on the other side of town, as she required hospitalization and observation. She remained there for two days, and finally came home with me on the third day.

Anyway (another 'long story short') Kaya wound up on five different medicaitons, and was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour. Prognosis was poor. I took her home and hoped for the best, but expected the worst. Surprisingly though, she didn't get worse...instead, every day that passed showed a tiny bit more improvement with my girl...and then last Monday she went back to see her regular vet for a revisit. When the vet saw her she was absolutely stunned at the turnaround...and that's when she confessed to me that she really did believe, after seeing Kaya during the emergency visit, that Kaya wouldn't live through the weekend. Yet not only did she make it through those two days, she has continued to improve and to thrive. The vet was astonished, and absolutely elated to see her doing so well. In fact, last Monday I took Kaya and Izzy out to a local field where dog owners converge to let their dogs play, and not only did Kaya look like she was enjoying the outing...she literally ran with the others, keeping up with the pack and looking like she did in her younger years...playful, energetic, and full of life. Now, I was warned that this type of tumour can flare up and get out of control within hours, and that it *could* happen again, only with dire consequences next time; but for now my girl is back, and she's enjoying every minute.

Which brings me back to Yofi. During Kaya's last vet visit I happened to mention Yofi to her, explaining that I had a rabbit who had recently suffered a rather nasty infection. She stopped in her tracks and said, "The infection...was it on his chest and front leg area?" When I said yes, she said, "Oh my goodness...Dr. Johnson (Yofi's vet) showed me pictures of that. I've never seen anything quite so nasty in a rabbit!" LOL...Yofi managed to get quite the reputation at the vet's for that infection he was sporting, as it was one of the worst cases any of them had ever seen. And it happened to be an infection that was extremely rare....only Yofi could come up with something quite so unique. :biggrin2:

So now I have two miracle pets on my hands. And every day I bless whoever watches over these little guys for keeping them so safe and healthy, and for allowing them to beat the odds. I've had a great many pets who didn't beat odds, and their losses have always been so hard to take. But for now I'm treasuring every moment that I have with these guys. They've shown strength and resolve that have truly inspired me. :)

Here's a few pics of my furry crew, the bunnies taken today, the dogs taken last week:

All I could get at first from Anna and Yofi were rear end shots...they didn't want to be bothered by the paparazzi, I guess

P4290405.jpg

Anna

P4290408.jpg

P4290401.jpg

Anna and Yofi

P4290433.jpg

P4290415.jpg

A bit blurry, but this is a shot of Yofi's former owwie...now healed over

P4290421.jpg

I forgot to mention that Yofi continues to be a HUGE mama's boy. A few days ago when I was cleaning their cage, Yofi followed me around like a shadow, and every time I stopped what I was doing he'd come up to me and start slathering me with kisses, either on my hand or on my cheek (if I was at his level). Nothing more reassuring than bunny kisses. ;)

My girl, Kaya

P4149870.jpg

And Kaya and Izzy

P4149966.jpg

:)

Hi Di, i'm not posting much on RO, but when I saw your blog I just had to respond.

Boy you've been through alot these past few months with your sister and all your babies. I'm glad to hear your sister's chemo is over. Hopefully it didn't drain her too much, I'm sure just having you there was a big help.

I almost cried when I saw the pictures of Anna and Yofi together "IN LOVE". They truly look so happy to be together again. I'm so happy to hear that the Yofster is better. Keeping fingers crossed.

OMG poor Kaya, she surehas been to hell and back with problems too. Hopefully she is all cleared up and will continue to enjoy her Senior years. I love the last picture of Kaya and Izzy, he's stunning.

Now you need a break from these past few months. Do you get to Toronto much? Honestly next time your here we should meet up, do coffee, drink, dinner or whatever.

Take care and it was great to read your update.

Big Hugs going out to everyone.:hug1:hug1

Susan & the Gang

Oh Susan, I'm the same as you...I've barely been posting at all in the last few months. Yep, it's been a lot that's been going on for the past while, but then...it seems to be that way for a lot of people. I guess it's all in how we handle things that counts (for me, I don't always handle things well and it shows up with health issues).

Personally, I'm absolutely amazed at how both Yofi and Kaya have been holding up. For Kaya, the vet was astounded at how well she looks now, considering that she's not only dealing with a tumour, but she's 15! She seems to be absolutely in love with life, and I'm so grateful that she bounced back after that flare-up. As for Yofi...again, I find it amazing that he fully recovered. I know that I posted pics of his infection when it was full-blown, but the pictures don't begin to capture just how nasty it was...it spread so rapidly, and was so deep in the tissue that the vet didn't hold out much hope. At one point his vet was saying that the only option might be amputation, and given Yofi's size and weight, that was quickly ruled out (also complicating matters was the fact that he has arthritis in his leg joints, although has shown no sign of it bothering him). He's a bunny with resolve, I guess; but whatever it was that helped him to heal, I'm forever grateful.

As for Toronto, my son lives there so I usually try and head down that way once a year. This year however, I doubt I'll be going...I have far too much to get done at the house (new roof, new bathroom window/wall, (hopefully) new front and back door, and have an old garage that needs to be torn down and a fence put up in its place. Already spent a ton of money on Kaya ($3000+ when she got sick, including ongoing meds). And at work I'm swamped, always working extra hours just to get ahead (this may improve a bit in the future though, as they've promised me a laptop so I can work from home on my time off if needed).

My son is going to try and come up this fall to help out with the house, so given all of that I probably won't be going anywhere. Next year though, I really do want to go and visit him, since he moved to a new condo and I want to inspect...er...see it. ;) I love Toronto anyway, love exploring the city, there's just so much more to do there than here. So I might just take you up on your offer next year if/when I do head down that way...usually it's late summer or fall when I do go. :) Anyway, remind me again next year and I'll most likely take you up on the offer. Sounds like fun! :biggrin2:

Been thinking about you and the gang.

Your sister continues to be in my daily prayers. I need to get caught up on your blog, but having to get up early and install fans in the 4H rabbit barn, I need to get to bed.

Daisy Mae and Jenny want to give big hugs and kisses to Yofi! Don't tell Anna!

Sounds like quite a project list you have, good luck.

I agree with Susan, I love this picture. It looks like the goofy younger brother and the embarrassed older sister.

P4149966.jpg

Seems like forever since I have been here to update Yofi's blog. He and Anna are still up to no good, though in their more mature years now, the level of no-goodedness tends to be pale in comparison to the days when Yofi once surfed the stovetop in search of food, or dug his way almost completely through the back door into the yard, or when Anna once decided to sever three electrical wires in one go, taking out both the Internet and my phone service before I caught her. These days they chill out in the back room, Anna looking a bit slower than she used to, but still active and healthy, and Yofi still likes to come into the living room or kitchen on occasion, just to see what, at his level, is worth checking out.

Unfortunately, however, I do have sad news concerning Kaya, my older dog. Last March she was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour on her hind leg, and because of her advanced age, as well as the location and size of the tumour, it was decided to treat her with palliative care. She was on a few meds to help keep side effects of the tumour at bay, and she was also on (and off) Metacam. For the past four months she did really well, even surprising the vet at just how energetic and healthy she was, considering. Kaya had been off her pain meds and was enjoying life, trotting around off-leash, going for walks with my younger dog, Izzy, and myself, and her appetite was fantastic.

However, a couple of weeks ago things began to deteriorate. She began showing signs of some discomfort; slowing down a bit, not going faster than a paced walk when we'd go out every day...so I started her pain meds again. And she perked up within a day, again looking forward to outdoor strolls, and always eager to get back and enjoy dinner. Then a week ago, things changed. Last Tuesday evening when I came home from work I noticed that on our walk, Kaya wasn't quite herself; walking a bit slowly, not doing quite so much exploring. Her bowel movements changed as well, much less than what would be considered normal for her. However, when we got back home she still displayed an appetite and ate her dinner heartily. I made a mental note to call her vet the next morning once I was at work, and talk about having a reassessment done. The next day though, I never made it to work.

Wednesday morning we headed out for our usual early-morning walk, but Kaya was lagging quite a bit behind. So we slowed down and waited for her as she paced herself, and once we made it to the field I was hoping she would perk up a bit. This time however, when I unclipped her leash she just stood there looking at me and wouldn't move. I knew then that something was seriously wrong, so I ran across the field to go and fetch Izzy, who'd gone chasing his ball. I turned at one point and saw Kaya trying to follow me, and I shouted at her to stay where she was, but still she tried to come, slowly making her way toward me as I grabbed Iz. It broke my heart seeing her do this, as I could see the effort it was taking.

A few minutes later, once back at the house, I gave Kaya her breakfast. She refused to eat...something she has never once done in her entire life. Then moments later, she collapsed on the floor and vomitted. I ran over and helped her up, she steadied herself, collapsed and vomitted again. Once on her feet again, she was finally able to steady herself, but she was obviously in pain. In a panic I called my sister, and 15 minutes later we were rushing to the emergency vet.

Once there the vet did a thorough exam and assessment, and then told me what I already knew: Kaya's health had taken a sudden and dramatic turn for the worse. She said, 'I know you may not be able to tell this, but your dog is in a huge amount of pain. From what you described of her actions this morning, I'd say she is being incredibly stoic...it sounds like she would have tried following you no matter how badly she was suffering. The pain medication she's on right now is no longer working.' She then went on to discuss options with me. The first suggestion was to prescribe much stronger pain blockers; she said that many owners of pets with terminal illness tended to do this in the hope of giving them a bit more time. She told me that sometimes it worked well...the pet would respond to the medication and for a while activity would return to as close to as normal as possible. She also explained that some people chose this option to give themselves a bit more time, so they could have a chance to prepare themselves for the inevitable. In a great many cases, however, the pain meds had to be so strong that the dog would wind up doing little more than sleeping the time away.

The second option was, of course, euthanasia. Dealing with a terminal illness, there would not be hope of a miracle cure, especially in an elderly pet; and with an illness as advanced as Kaya's appeared to be, this choice would not be a premature one.

In looking back now, I think I already knew, from the moment I called my sister, that this latter option was the route Kaya and I would be choosing. And yet despite knowing that this would indeed be the best choice for her, it was still a desperately hard one to make. Even through her pain Kaya was still displaying alertness and interest....just as we were leaving the field to head home, for example, a neighbour walked by with his dog. As soon as Kaya saw them her ears pricked up and she tried trotting over to see them. And at the vet's, even though she was rather lethargic, she kept looking at me and heading toward the door. She wanted to go home.

In the end I spent the next half an hour with her, talking to her, stroking her tired body, and just thanking her through my tears for everything that she brought to my life for the past 15 years. Then when the vet came in, I expressed my deep concern that Kaya not suffer through the procedure; two years ago I had a cat who did not pass quietly as the drug was administered, and I wanted to do everything I could to ensure that Kaya would be okay. So the vet gave her as much sedative as she could, making sure that Kaya would be completely, soundly under before the actual drug was given....and within moments her eyes softly closed and she slept as I stroked her head. When the final moment came, her passing was gentle, serene. I could not have asked for more for her.

I've been struggling quite a bit since that morning to come to terms with this loss, even though I know that Kaya had a good life...an exceptional one, I suppose, for a dog who was almost euthanized when she was 10 months old. And I am so grateful for the decision last year to go ahead and bring Izzy into my life, for without him this time would have been unbearable. Izzy is still as happy as ever, wanting to play and plying me with his toys, but he does understand there is something wrong, I'm sure...that evening he kept draping himself across me the moment I would sit down, and he would look at me quietly, not making a sound.

It's always so hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet, but Kaya felt exceptionally close to me, from the moment we first crossed paths 15 years ago. And even though I was aware that her time left was limited, I still was not prepared. I suppose we never can be. So I just wanted to say a public thank you to an extraordinary friend and soulmate...may we meet again some day.

Sleep well, Kaya.

august26happykaya640x480-1.jpg

DSCF9609.jpg

PA114583.jpg

Oh Di,

I'm so sorry your Beautiful Kaya has made her finaljourney to the Rainbow Bridge:rainbow:. Such a hard decision to make but one that deep down we all know is the rightdecision.

Eventually you will be able to remember the 15 beautiful years you shared with Kaya.

I'm glaad to hear Izzy is helping you with your loss.

Big Hugs:hug1

Susan:bigtears:

I'm so sorry Di. I'm just now seeing this - I'm so sorry for your loss. She was such a beautiful dog...and so special too.

Oh so sorry for your loss of Kaya. I had a similar situation with our rottie Taesia a few years ago. We decided on euthanasia too based on her having a terminal disease/condition and age too. It was the hardest decision ever but I know it was the right one.

We stayed with her just like you did with Kaya. I had some peace knowing my husband and I were the last faces she saw....not some stranger or vet in a back room at the vet office.

Sorry again for the loss of your friend. She seemed like she had a great life with you.

A bit late, but thank you all so much. It has been a difficult time adjusting to Kaya's passing, as I knew it would be. In fact, the number one reason I brought Izzy into my life was because of this; I knew that Kaya wouldn't be with me forever, and I figured that introducing a new dog at that point, while Kaya was still quite healthy and vibrant, would be ideal. Had I decided to wait, I doubt I would be able to do so now.

We stayed with her just like you did with Kaya. I had some peace knowing my husband and I were the last faces she saw....not some stranger or vet in a back room at the vet office

Lisa, one of the biggest regrets in my life came many many years ago - back when I was just entering adulthood, actually - and my childhood dog, Charlie, had to be taken to the vet's to be euthanized after his heart began failing. To this day I regret the fact that I just couldn't bear to go...my sister's boyfriend wound up taking him on that fateful day...and I swore after that to always be there for my pets, no matter how tough it might be on myself.

What gives me comfort is knowing that Kaya did have a good life, and I do believe she left when she was ready to go. A few years ago - before the irascible Yofi came into my life - I had another English lop named Raph (Raphael). He had a plethora of health issues from the time I got him (a result of bad breeding habits by the breeder) and his life was unfortunately cut short when he was just 2 years old. Yet the day that I was to take him to the vet for the final time, I sat with him on an old swingset in the backyard, gently stroking his fur and talking to him. And the most amazing thing happened - something that, unless personally experienced, I think cannot be fully appreciated - I began *hearing* a conversation with Raph in my head. He told me, in effect, that every animal who faces that final decision with their owner is totally accepting of it...the owner, wrestling with the pain of letting go, does not always understand that the pet (as a soul) is in agreement with the decision. A decision made in love, in the pet's best interest, is always the right one, and the pet is thankful for the time spent with their human.

Was this conversation real? Was it simply random thoughts passing through my head at a moment of extreme duress? I cannot say for sure, but I do know that as soon as I heard this, all of my pain disappeared and I was filled with love for Raph, for allowing me to hear his thoughts. To this day I do believe it was real - even though I always tended to be a sceptic when it comes to animal communication - and his 'words' to me have been a great source of comfort ever since. I still miss Kaya deeply, and seem to have blocked her loss from myself a bit in order to get through it, yet at the same time I do know that she's okay. A few nights after her passing I awoke from a dream - more of a vision, really - where I saw her standing far away from me, in the field where I would take her and Izzy every day, and someone - I don't know who - was holding her leash. She stared at me from across the field, tail wagging and a huge grin on her face, and in that moment I knew she was fine. I still miss her presence terribly, but I do also know that she's with me in spirit, as are all animals who were with me in life. And I've been doubly blessed with Yofi, who survived a horrific infection that most rabbits would have succumbed to long ago. So in life, through tears and pain are also smiles and laughter...and to me, the pain is simply an indicator of just how deeply we love. :)

Di, you are such a strong woman. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Kaya, I loved hearing about her life through you and seeing the wonderful pictures of her. I myself have never lost a pet as Toby is my first, but I can't even bear the thought of life without him. I only hope that I will be as strong as you have been when the time comes.

Your last post brought me to tears; it was deeply moving and I am so glad that you had that vision, and that conversation with Raph. If I had heard that same story last year before experiencing a pet/owner bond, I would have shrugged it off immediately. Now everything is different and I can help but empathize with you.

My thoughts are with you <3

I think this thread needs an update. :)

And of course, what would an update in Yofi's thread be without the latest scare that he's given me? It seems The Boy relishes making me worry, bite my nails, call a family member in a panic, all because he yet again developed something that has left the vets scratching their heads.

In December, during the Christmas break I went away for 5 days to visit family, and when I returned, all seemed quiet...not a creature was stirring in my house. Anna was her usual self, inquisitive but - in her older years - enjoying the pleasure of a deep, relaxing afternoon nap to that of romping about the house. Yofi too seemed somewhat quiet; when I got back home the first thing I did was go to see how the bunnies were doing, but I was taken aback a wee bit when I wasn't greeted at the bunny room door by my inquisitive, long-eared boy. He sat on the floor of the cage, snoozing soundly...and when I called his name one eye opened lazily, peering out from under a heavy lid, and then he slowly closed it again. He was ignoring me completely, despite the fact that I had been gone for almost a full week. I chalked it up to 'bunny-sulking'; something that Yofi has been known to do in the past. I'd go away and upon my return, would be greeted by an unmistakable rabbit snub. So I left him alone and got to work unpacking my things.

A couple of days later he still hadn't perked up. 'This really is one long sulk, even for Yofi' I thought, not clueing in to the possibility that something might actually be wrong with him. Yet he seemed fine otherwise; he was still eating, still pushing and shoving his way past Anna to get to the food first. But he wasn't 'right'. He was quiet, sitting in the cage and only coming out every so often, only to return a few moments later and go back to sleep again. I really should have picked up on the fact at that point that there was something wrong; Yofi was being...good.

Then, four days after my return home, I went to feed the rabbits that evening. Yofi heard the food bag rustling and - as usual - kept trying to shove his entire head into the bowl even before I had a chance to put the food in. I finally had to push his head out of the way, and was about to chastise him for being such a pain, when one of his big ears brushed against my hand.

Yofi's right ear was warm. No, it was hot...burning up hot...and the ear itself was HUGE. It had swollen to roughly 3 or 4 times its regular thickness, most of the swelling contained to the upper outer flap, and less significant (but still alarming) swelling that ran right down to the tip of his ear.

I was in shock. I sat there for a couple of moments wondering how on earth I hadn't noticed this until that very moment; and then my mind began to race. He needed a vet, and if this was an infection, he needed a vet ASAP. Yet of course - as per rule #322 of the Frantic Pet Owner's Manual, it was a Sunday night. Late. All of the vet clinics were closed.

Thankfully though, a couple of months before this a new emergency clinic had its grand opening at my end of town. Prior to this there had been two emergency clinics, and both were far, far away from me, headed out toward the other end of the city (and Ottawa, if known for nothing else, is a sprawling metropolis). So I called my sister and we rushed Yofi to the new emergency clinic - about a 10 minute drive from my house.

Unfortunately the attending vet knew next to nothing about rabbits. My heart sort of sank in my chest, when, after she'd disappeared for about half an hour as I waited with my boy in the examining room, she finally reappeared and told me that she'd been on the internet, googling Yofi's symptoms in an effort to figure out what was wrong. Finally she managed to contact another vet via the old-fashioned method (telephone) and between the two of them, it was decided to put Yofi on Benadryl (lol...when in doubt, get the 'Dryl). I asked her to prescribe some Baytril for him as well since I was so fearful that this was an infection (those who know of Yofi's fight with a deadly skin infection some time ago would understand why my fears were justified), and with the Benedryl and Baytril in hand, we were sent home with the reassurance that the Benedryl had a good chance of bringing the swelling down within a few hours.

The next evening Yofi's ear looked even worse, so I called my regular vet clinic and managed to get him in to see one of his 'rabbit vets' the next day. A full assessment and bloodwork was done, and this time he was prescribed Metacam, a painkiller and - more importantly - an anti-inflammatory. With fingers crossed I took Yofi home once again, fearing the worst but hoping for the best. And I can't begin to tell you how happy I was the next morning...when I went into the rabbit room Yofi came run-tumbling to the door to greet me, then followed me out to the kitchen to make sure I was getting his breakfast ready. His ear, which I swear had looked like someone had inflated it using a bicycle pump, was somewhat smaller. Just a wee bit, but hey, it was at last headed in the right direction...deflation instead of inflation (and don't we wish our economy was like that too? ;)). From that point on Yofi began to recover. The redness finally began to fade, his ear lost its heaviness and swelling, and best of all, Yofi's personality came surging through again, full force. My Boy, once again, was back.

The vet said that we will probably never know what caused this...a spider bite? Possibly. An injury? There was no sign of any, not even the tiniest of scratches. He said that we would have to chalk it up to the possibiility that Yofi's immune system is extremely hypersensitive, and he may react wildly and unexpectedly to something that wouldn't bother any one (or, should I say, any'bun') else. lol...I did have a bit of a chuckle at one point during the last exam. Yofi's vet told me that in his quest to figure out what was causing this, he posted Yof's case - with photos - in an online forum that he attends, one populated by vets from all over the US and Canada. (hehe...who knew that vets were online nerds just like the rest of us? :D ) Anyway, he said that for a few days after he had posted this, he was getting all sorts of vets from all over the place going in and commenting, saying, 'Hey, how's Yofi doing? Is he any better?' Even in cyberspace, Yofi seems to make an impression.

So that's the tale of my boy's second brush with something odd and mysterious. Today he's feeling fine, the only sign that anything was ever wrong is a still somewhat-puffed upper ear...thickening that may or may not go away. I'll post a picture or two that I took when it was angry red and inflated, but try as I might, the pictures truly didn't capture just how bad it was. (And the pics were taken before the swelling had reached its peak.) His ear had become so large from the swelling that his head would literally hang down on that one side, it was so heavy. Poor boy simply couldn't hold it up.

And to think that I had initially believed Yofi was simply sulking, upset because I'd gone away...I guess my ego got a little over-inflated as well, just like his ear. (However, my dog Izzy definitely was giving me the cold shoulder when I came back from my trip....he refused to even look at me...but that's another story....)

P1014246.jpg

P1014253.jpg

P1014250.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back