Yesterday was plain AWFUL!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dungeonbunnies

Reaction score
I woke up to our bedroom being freezing cold, with a migraine, dizziness, and vomiting.

Went out to do chores before I left, found Harold's hutch top wide open, and him all drenched with ice in his coat (it had been sleeting all night/morning). I grabbed him and wrapped him in my coat to run him inside, toweled him as best as I could, but I couldn't do much else as I was late, and had to go to get to class on time.

I was late to my meeting with my professor. And I have a C in Spanish, but my professor offered to meet up with me closer to my home to help me. Which was great of him.

As soon as I was done there, I picked up Mike from the University, and we drove to the local Hospital. An hour from home, in the ER, we were there from noon-30, till almost 11:30 pm. I'd been really sick for a long time with the aforementioned symptoms, and yesterday was so horrible, that every movement of my head was vertigo. My Dr. had thought it was my blood sugar (I'm pre-diabetic), but neglected to test my blood sugar. The Hospital tested everything, gave me a CT scan, and finally, a spinal tap.

Turns out that excess fluid in your head and spine can cause all sorts of issues. The realm of normality here is 20. I was reading a 27 sitting up, and a 23 laying down. So they drained enough fluid to put me at a 19. Almost INSTANT relief! I do have a pretty gnarly bruise though.

By the time I got home around 1 am, Harold had passed. I felt bad that I didn't stay home and take care of him, but I couldn't afford any absences, and my professors don't count "drenched rabbit" as a good enough reason to miss class. :(

Yesterday was just a horrible day.

I'm so sorry to hear about Harold I agree with Megz I would have crawled into bed and cried. But I'm glad you are feeling better. I suffer from vertigo myself and it's the worse.

The official diagnosis (I finally read over my discharge papers) is Pseudotumor Cerebri (or Intracranial Hypertension)

too much pressure in my head from spinal fluid was causing tumor-like symptoms. It's not fatal, but can cause permanent blindness if left untreated. It's common in obese women ages 20-45 (which I am both, unfortunately) and can be brought on by a number of things.

Aside from therapeutic spinal taps (oxymoron) it is treatable with medications, and I've been referred to a neurologist. Called my dr's office and informed them that they flubbed a diagnosis. I'm going to be looking for a new dr soon... >_>

Losing Harold was just one more horrible thing after another, and I'm here at school again today, wearing out just trying to pay attention. The breeder I bought him from already emailed me about replacing him as my future herd sire, honestly, as cute as the babies she showed me are; I'm not ready to think about replacing him yet. I'd wait a year if I could... which reminds me to post a question on the breeder's forum.

I have the bruise from Hades on my back, and I'm shuffling along worse than usual... I need to check my diet, and my exercise. I'm a bear about my pets' health, but not my own... time to get on the ball.

I thank everyone for the condolences, and I'm glad there's a whole forum of people who understand what it's like for me to lose one of my bunnies. Thank you again, ladies and gents!

"..You can say that again..."

Sorry, I have that song running through my head now. I'm sorry that you lost your bun. :/

I get the sicky-ness though, I have a thing called POTS(Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), which is basically marked by hr shooting up by at least 40 bpm more than your resting heart rate. I won't get into all the details, but it makes me feel pretty awful at times. Chest pains, heart palpitations, nausea, migraines, dizziness, fainting..

yup, SVT here, I know that feeling all too well...

We're on to day 3 since the procedure, and I've had 1 tension headache, no dizziness, no nausea, no tunnel/blurred vision. It's awesome!

So sorry you lost Harold. Sometimes things just conspire against you. Our dog broke my finger and ruptured my tendons several years ago. Went home to put Nik-Nik up and found her with a shattered back leg. Rushed her to the vet and then reported to hospital for my surgery. Her back leg was shattered and needed amputation and more after care than a one armed man could give so my only option was to have her put down. She was such a sweet little lap bunny that I still have trouble with it but had no other option. And yes, we all tend to put our health second. :pray:

Latest posts

Back