Yes, another neuter related question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Two of my buns are getting neutered next week (and i'm crapping myself, but that's another issue). I have read loads about it on this site and what people suggest and recommend, but there seem to be some variations on this.

Do I need to get pain meds for after the op? I know that you do with spays, but for a neuter, some people do and some people don't.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes...they need pain meds. I usuallydo the boys for up to 3 days and the girls for up to 5 days. I would like for everyone to ask themselves....If I had a body part removed by surgery, would I refuse pain meds? Just think....stress is not a good thing for a rabbit and pain is a form of stress. Rabbits can interpret pain as an attack by a predator and have a natural mechanism to shut themselves down to prevent suffering. All of my numerous vets are quick to pull the trigger on pain meds in any situation....and not a one of them would send a spay/neuter home without sufficient analgesics. They know the importance of pain management in rabbits.

Randy

My vet took care of all this, I had to go back to the vets for them to give the pain meds, etc. Males do recover much quicker than females as the surgery is not so intensiveso it shouldn't take too long. I can't remember how long Starsky was on meds for as it happened 3 year ago!

Latest posts

Back