Yard sales

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I have never been a connoisseur of yard/garage sales. I really just don't "get" it. I like going to antique stores and browsing, but yard sales just don't do it for me. I can't imagine sitting out in my front yard all day with my stuff I don't want, trying to sell it for a dollar.

People invariably slow down as they drive by yard sales, just like they do when they see police lights. It's funny, to me. :p

I love going to garage sales! You can find the coolest stuff. Yes, most are just people selling crap/garbage but sometimes you can find some good stuff. I usually end up getting books, as most garage sales have a huge stack for super cheap. Or old video games are always a good find. I just find it fun going with a few friends and checking stuff out. Its a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Every year our area holds a neighbourhood wide garage sale where like 30 houses participate. Its a great afternoon walking around the neighbourhood checking everything out and meeting the neighbours. One year we participated, threw together some of our old stuff(old records, sports equipment, toys, random crap etc) and we made 400$ in 2 days! Not bad for selling junk we'd end up throwing or giving away anyways.

I like things like that and car boot sales, you can get some realy good bargins from people who are totally not aware what they are selling lol! saving you lots of money! :)

I don't really like going to garage sales. I have enough junk of my own, I don't need to buy other people's junk!

I do, however, like giving garage sales. I did one this summer, and one last summer, and made a ton of money. All of the stuff I sold was stuff that I would have given or thrown away, anyway. I think it is funny, the stuff people will buy! Both times, the junkiest things were the first to sell! We had nice weather both times, and sat out on the driveway, under the shade of a tree, drinking gin and tonics all day, lol!

At the end, everything that was left was donated. Last year it went to Goodwill, this year it went to a Veteran's thing.

I do, however, like going to estate sales. There's usually some really nice things, and even if I don't buy anything, it can be fun to look at some of the things, especially if they have neat antiques.

My family always went yard saleing every Saturday growing up... It was the only way to get kids up early and veto the inevitable 4 hrs of cartoons.
Wonderful movies/CDs I'd never hear otherwise, TONS of beautiful books to read, velvet paintings (personal fav), funky old chairs, and an endless assortment of empty perfume bottles, mismatched earrings and chipped figurines.

I would keep up the tradition, but there wouldn't be enough room for all my 4 housemates, plus cool stuff!

Love yardsales. Hate giving them, love going.

I guess the difference in my case is, my neighbor has an old barn that he regularly fills with stuff that he collects from a truck, every couple of days. I just wonder where that stuff is coming from, and it's a little odd, to me.

The barn is right next to my house, across an alley, and it's an eyesore, not to mention a vandalism and fire hazard.

I also think you all go to the "good" yard sales. :)

That being said, 4 times a year, the City has a designated pickup week for junk collection, and the neighborhood can put whatever they don't want, in the alleys. That brings on the scavengers who raid the junk and take what they want. I have some stuff this time, due to the flood I had in my basement, a few weeks ago, from a freak storm. I am sure it is cream of the crop stuff for whoever wants it. :p

I don't like going to yard sales and hate when my neighbors have them. We did do a yard sale for our rescue last fall and made almost $600 in one day. We are planning on having another one on November. Gotta pay those vet bills!

love yard sales.

love to go to them and love to give them

although i am one of those weird 22 year olds that basically only shops at thrift stores and second hand places, so it kinda makes sense that i like yard sales

Latest posts

Back