Wry Neck!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
Well as some of you may know we have ababy bunny (just turned a month old) named Lucky. Just today I noticedthat his head is kinda tilted to one side, and of course I started topanic! I have never seen wry neck so I dont totally know what it lookslike but does any one know the symptoms? Anything I can do tohelp him? If he gets any worse its off to the vet. Why is itI have the worst luck with baby rabbits? First Brogan, then Dash, andnow Lucky...no more babies for me!

Anyways, any help would be greatly apprecaited :)

~Amy

Amy,

I think Barbi Brown has one of the most informative sites that deals with wry neck.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/

Here is the part that deals with wry neck:

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm

Now some folks may tell you "she's only a breeder....not avet". But I encourage you to read her site with an open mindand think about what she's saying before you just dismiss her writing...

I have a buck who has wry neck - from heat stress. He's nottotally over it but he's improved a WHOLE LOT since using hertreatments. If he continues to progress like this, I'mthinking in another couple of months, he should be completely overit. He has a good life now and can function just fine (evendoes breedings for me since his wry neck isn't genetic) - just he tiltshis head funny.

Peg

P.S. I'm not saying "Don't go to a vet"...ok? ButI've heard breeders talk too often of a vet saying, "Put it down" andthen having a rabbit saved by someone who is willing to try hermethods....so I do encourage a vet visit along with reading her siteand any other information you can find..

Amy, You should take Lucky to theVet. Wry neck is caused by a number of things and earlytreatment is crucial in helping to cure it. Keep us updated.

Sharon

Thanks for the links every one! I After reading those links I am pretty sure that he has it :(

Naturestee: So far he doesnt walk funny, and his eyes dont move, so Iam hoping that maybe we cought it soon enough and it hasnt progressedfar enough to show those symptoms.

Peg: Thanks for the site! It really did help, and I will try out her methods if the vet's treatments dont work. :)

Sharon: Yeah I totally agree, after I posted that I realized that Isounded really irresponsible, my mom is calling the vet today, as soonas it opens. :)

Thanks for all your help, I am really hoping it isnt wry neck, but if it is then its just something we will have to deal with...

~Amy

Lucky will be in my thoughts for a quickrecovery! Keep us updated, Amy. And no, I didn'tthink that you were irresponsible in any way. I was justhoping that you take Lucky to the vet because if caught early, it canbe cured! Good Luck.

Sharon

Hey!

We're back from the vet! He said that Lucky should be fine but hewanted to do more research on it before we did a treatment. He saidthat he has had quite a few older rabbits come in with wry neck butnever one this young. So he sent me home with Baytril and Bene-bac andsaid not to use them until he called this afternoon. And he said thatif this doesnt work we are going to have to use a dewormer on him:shock: Anyways Lucky seems to be doing fine, he is sleepingon his critter couch right next to me :)

Thanks for all of your support!

~Amy

About 2 weeks ago, Amber started tilting herhead. When we took her to the vet the next day, she diagnosed it as aminor ear infection. So we have been treating her ears with antibioticsand ear cleaner for those two weeks, and we will continue for one more.She doesn't tilt her head anymore. Last week, she had a one-week check,and the doctor said the infection is subsiding.

Please let us know how Lucky does:pray:

Lucky seems to be doing much better,but I dont want to get my hopes up too high :) His head seems to be(maybe I am just imagining it) getting better. He HATES those horridpills, and I feel just aweful giving it to him:( After I givethem to him he just sits there and gives me this baby bunny glare ofdeath!

Anyways, he seems to be improving, he moves around quite a bit morethen he did before so hopefully the meds are working:D

~Amy

I just figured I would updated, I am pleased tolet you all know that Lucky has made a full recovery :colors: He stillhas to take those nasty pills for about 20 more days but other thenthat he is doing good :D

Latest posts

Back