Wrong bunny has been getting medicine, is the wound infected?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glazcia

Reaction score
The humane society mixed up my bunnies, I've been giving the wrong one medicine!

Last Thursday I had 6 bunnies fixed at the humane society, they were all from the same litter. 2 black, 2 grey and 2 brown. I'm putting them up for adoption there, they said they should stay with me while they recover. I was happy with that, I love them.

The 2 brown ones are Chip and Bilbo. The only way to tell them apart is that Chip has a white toe on his right front paw. I told this to the humane society and wrote it in the paperwork.

When I picked up the bunnies they told me Bilbo had a bite on his leg near the groin that they stitched up. I was supposed to give him a liquid antibiotic twice a day for 10 days.

I tried to check both bunnies to make sure they didn't mix them up but couldn't see the stitches. Chip would kick a lot when i picked him up (not unusual, he never liked being held) and Bilbo was being less active so i assumed they had it right and gave Bilbo the medicine.

I'm now 4 days in with the medicine to Bilbo. I was holding Chip and noticed the wound on him (i've attached a picture) it looked like he bit the stitches open at some point, it's a big circle on his inner thigh. It's not bleeding, pusing or swollen it just looks like a hole. I think the white dotted lines used to be stitching.

He's gone this whole time without the antibiotic. I'm scared that it's infected. He hasn't been acting any differently, infact, he is more active than Bilbo and still jumps to the higher levels of the cage.

I'm aware that i need to take him in. It's 2:00am now, I have to wait. I just want to post a picture and get an idea of how bad this is.

20140909_011525.jpg

It's hard to say, it's definitely quite a size but you're right that it actually looks pretty good. Since it's quite red it's either relatively newly opened, or perhaps just irritated. Definitely worth a visit just in case and they may either give a new course of antibiotics or may even tell you you don't need them.

How frustrating that they got them mixed up after you put an identifier on the sheet. Although I've heard on worse things happening with those awful botched surgeries where they remove someone's wrong leg or something :p

I called this morning, they weren't concerned. They just said to switch bunnies, which I already did. They told me I could bring him in if I wanted, as if I were just being paranoid.

What! Shouldn't the hole be restitched at the very least? And antibiotics are a full course, you can't just administer a course minus four days' worth of meds and expect the same effectiveness. They need to issue you a full new course and close up the open hole. I'm surprised they're being so nonchalant about it, I would've jumped down their throats.

rabbits heal so quickly from wounds, I'm surprised it's still open. usually after four days, unless something has gone terribly wrong, it's mostly healed up. My guess is he just ripped it open from being such a busy bunny. he should be just fine. :)

Latest posts

Back