would you or wouldnt you?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
I have a baby chin nethie and it doesn't have a front foot! its not been groomed off by the mum its just a little round stump where its foot should be. The reason i know its not been overgroomed is because you can see 3 tiny claws coming through on its stump.

So my questionsare would you or would you not keep this? would you be able to breed with it or would the deformitybreed through?

Tough decision... I would definitely NOT breed it. Too much stress on the body, worrying about excess weight if it's a doe, might not be able to properly mount if it's a buck. You also don't know if it was the result of genetic abnormalities, the intrauterine environment, or a chromosomal abnormality. Why take a chance.

As to keeping the kit, I can see a lot of problems in the first few weeks alone. Not being able to move around, find a nipple, compete with siblings. It will take a lot of extra work on your part to keep him on track with siblings or on a normal growth pattern. As an adult, he will need a special home with consideration for his handicap. But I expect that he would learn to move around pretty well on one front leg.

BlueGiants wrote:
As an adult, he will need a special home with consideration for his handicap. But I expect that he would learn to move around pretty well on one front leg.
I've noticed that the special needs bunnies (kits missing an ear, tail, toe whatever) seem to go quicker as pets for some reason. People just seem to have a soft spot for that little bunny who needs extra love. :)

If he has the will to keep up with his brothers and sisters I'd give him a sporting chance. Maybe even foster him to a smaller litter if you have one available?

But, as everyone has already pointed out, you can't be sure this is or isn't genetic deformity so I would definitely refrain from breeding him. I'd probably even go as far as making a note in my records that his mom and dad threw this type of kit. If this issue pops up again in one of their other litters we'll know something is up.

I had a litter of hamsters years ago.
I read that you are not supposed to go near or bother the babies or the mother will eat them. I left everything alone until the 5th day when I peeked at the babies.

I was horrified. One of the strings of the cotton like nesting material was wrapped around the foot of one of the babies. The foot was all shriveled and dried up as the blood supply had been cut off.

I picked up the baby and removed the string and within a few days the foot just dropped off.
I worried and worried about that baby and how it would ever make it with it's front foot gone.

Well it was surprising. that baby did everything his sibs did including run on a wheel, stuff his cheeks etc. ; he behaved in a totally normal manner and had a wonderful life.

it is true that people often will adopt an animal with a disability soI would try to find him a home and he probably will have a good life and not even be aware that he has no foot

Thanks guys I was thinking not breeding with it was the way to go. its only its paw that is not fully formed well more like its toes. At first we thought overgrooming but Pads is a good mum and then I could see little claws coming through.

I will take a picture today so you can see it just out of interest. He is quite lucky as its only a litter of 2 (nethies being what they are lol) as they are so young I was thinking f keeping it in the nest until they start wandering just so it keeps its litter mate warm. Have to say its thriving though :) very fat belly lol.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! A Tripod :D

Latest posts

Back