would it be a good idea to convert some of my mostly empty garage into a rabbit run?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
I have an enclosed garage that my family never parks in. it gets pretty cold in there. I was thinking about putting some carpet squares down and having a few large x pens connected for a total of about 120 square feet. I have some cardboard boxes and metal air ducting. I'm also looking at some rabbit save chew toys and balls

Attachments

• IMG-2893.jpg
    IMG-2893.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
Every. Inch. Of. Unused. Space. In. My. House. Has. Been. Used. For. Rabbit. Happiness.

So yes? How cold is pretty cold? They normally do just fine with cold...
anywhere from 20 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit

anywhere from 20 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit

I think 20 may be a little low... they're normally good down to around 40... but if they're just occasionally playing in this space, they'll probably be fine. If you're looking to make it their home, maybe use a ceramic heater with a thermostat? No fumes, and will cut the cold!

I've found with rabbits that consistent temperature is perhaps more important than sticking to really strict guidelines. They can be fine down a little past freezing, as long as they are not being taken back and forth between hot and cold. More so if the rabbit is generally living in 30-40 degrees, going to 70 degrees for an hour or two then back out is quite a shock. I'm betting a garage in western Washington seldom if ever drops below freezing, especially if it is at all insulated. I keep a very close eye on the thermometer in the space my rabbits are inhabiting right now. If I were you, I'd keep a closer eye in the summer months, it may get hotter in there than you think.

Overall I think it could be a fabulous idea! A ceramic heater is also fantastic if you need to cut the cold, although be very careful of fire hazards!

I've found with rabbits that consistent temperature is perhaps more important than sticking to really strict guidelines. They can be fine down a little past freezing, as long as they are not being taken back and forth between hot and cold. More so if the rabbit is generally living in 30-40 degrees, going to 70 degrees for an hour or two then back out is quite a shock. I'm betting a garage in western Washington seldom if ever drops below freezing, especially if it is at all insulated. I keep a very close eye on the thermometer in the space my rabbits are inhabiting right now. If I were you, I'd keep a closer eye in the summer months, it may get hotter in there than you think.

Overall I think it could be a fabulous idea! A ceramic heater is also fantastic if you need to cut the cold, although be very careful of fire hazards!
it's not insulated. I live up near Snoqualmie pass and it only goes below 20 maybe a week out of winter.

I have some heat lamps out in the shed that I could set up 1616537538224.png

Are you considering this for just occasional exercise time or permanent living? If it's just occasional, then the cold won't matter much because you can just skip those cold days.

Are you considering this for just occasional exercise time or permanent living? If it's just occasional, then the cold won't matter much because you can just skip those cold days.
I will probably put them there during the day and they will go back in their x pen in my room at night. on very cold days I will put up a heat lamp or just keep them in my room

Latest posts

Back