would a bonded pair of rabbits get along with a guinea pig?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
my sister wants to get a guinea pig and I was wondering if my rabbits would fight, get along, or just ignore it

If your sister is to get a guinea pig, keep it separate from your rabbits always. The rabbits would likely harm the guinea pig unintentionally or intentionally. They are probably quite a bit bigger than the guinea pig and could hurt it just trying to be friendly or if they see the guinea pig as a threat and behave aggressively. Rabbits and guinea pigs should never be kept together, it is too much risk to the pig. They are also both very different species that have little common ground as far as communication.

I used to have a guinea pig and we let him and Jingle bell interact. They got along fine, and it seemed like they were friends. Their cages were right next to each other and they did really well together. it should be fine as long as their not together always.

Never let a piggie interact or be in close contact with a rabbit.

Each species can carry a disease that is harmful to the other species. For example, rabbits can be carriers of the Pasteurella bacteria without having or showing any symptoms. Guinea pigs are much more susceptible to this bacteria and could die from it. This reason alone seems enough to keep the species apart.

It's also true that an inadvertent/accidental kick from a rabbit could cause serious harm to a piggie -- regardless of the size of the rabbit. We saw this happen with a forum member years back. She disregarded the advice here to keep her piggie away from her rabbit because "they got along so well." She frequently let them have playtime together... until one day, the rabbit just hopped up and happened to kick out its back legs. The piggie ended up with a few broken ribs and internal injuries!

When we had both piggies and rabbits, we kept the piggies in a raised C&C cage so they could never come in contact with the rabbits.

Never let a piggie interact or be in close contact with a rabbit.

Each species can carry a disease that is harmful to the other species. For example, rabbits can be carriers of the Pasteurella bacteria without having or showing any symptoms. Guinea pigs are much more susceptible to this bacteria and could die from it. This reason alone seems enough to keep the species apart.

It's also true that an inadvertent/accidental kick from a rabbit could cause serious harm to a piggie -- regardless of the size of the rabbit. We saw this happen with a forum member years back. She disregarded the advice here to keep her piggie away from her rabbit because "they got along so well." She frequently let them have playtime together... until one day, the rabbit just hopped up and happened to kick out its back legs. The piggie ended up with a few broken ribs and internal injuries!

When we had both piggies and rabbits, we kept the piggies in a raised C&C cage so they could never come in contact with the rabbits.
do you have an Idea of what other animals would get along with a rabbit?

I generally try to prevent species mixing besides between a few trusted individuals. I've had cats that get on great with bunnies and vice versa, I've also had cats that wanted to hurt bunnies and bunnies that wanted to hurt cats. Any unnecessary introductions is a generally needless risk between all parties. I've had a lot of introductions (roommate or family pets) and I have been able to keep everything going well by NEVER leaving two different species alone together and making sure that I would be able to intervene at any moment should something go wrong. Bunnies love other bunnies, I've never felt the need to risk lives for a friendship that likely won't work when mixing species. I do have a few trusted other pets who are allowed to mingle with rabbits, but it's after years of trust and watching how everyone behaves.

do you have an Idea of what other animals would get along with a rabbit?
Do you and your sister share a room? If so, I would suggest keeping whatever pet(s) your sister gets away from the rabbits. Some dogs and some cats may develop a friendly relationship with rabbits, but that's only on a case by case basis (and dogs or cats are typically "family" pets. It sounds like your sister is wanting a pet "of her own."

As far as other pet options, the one thing I would caution against would be another rabbit. The presence of another rabbit in the household can disrupt or break the existing bond of your rabbits.

Not sure of your sister's age but, just in case you weren't aware, the proper care for a pair of guinea pigs is about the same as for that of a rabbit. (I found the piggies to be more effort for keeping their habitat clean.) Oh, and guinea pigs really need to be in pairs, not single.

If your sister is just looking for a certain type of pet and is not sharing your room and the pet won't be interacting with your rabbits, then perhaps members here would have other pet suggestions. If this is the case, let us know what she's looking/hoping for in a pet.

I had a small rabbit & guinea pig together in a lg. cage & they were great friends. Then I noticed a bald streak down bunnies back. Piggie was grooming rabbit a little too much & pulling out some hair. But they cuddled & played so I left them together

As others have pointed it,it isn't a good idea to keep them together,not because of fighting or behavioural problems,but simply thatit's so easy for the rabbit to unintentionally break the cavy's ribs or do other injuries.I'm old enough to remember when,during the 1950 and 60's,and even later, a lot of books and information leaflets happily recommended them as companions,and it was common to see them together in zoos and pet shop windows.It's one of those things where you could have no trouble at all,but if it goes horribly wrong,the consequences for the cavy are just not worth it.A little free association under supervision is one thing,but to be together permanently would,in my experience,be risky.

Latest posts

Back