worried mama

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerigirl

Reaction score
Help please! I had been eating chocolate chips earlier and then set the bowl on the floor when I got up. I completely forgot that Meoldy's was house was open and when I came back, he was near the bowl and munching. I wasn't gone but a few seconds butyou jnow how sneaky buns are. He had gotten a chip and eaten a third of it. This was about 430 and its now 830. He snoozed for a couple of hours and is now hopping around my living room again.he seems fine but I'm still worried.

I know that chocolate is supposed to be really bad, and I would never let my rabbits eat it on purpose. With that said, my sister has a rabbit, and her daughter got a 2 lb. chocolate bar for Christmas. She put it under her bed and forgot about it. A couple months later she went to get it from under her bed and all that was left of it was the remains of the ripped up wrapper. Her daughter is the only child in the house and there are no other pets. Their rabbit has free range of the house, so it was definitely the rabbit that ate it. This was more than 5 years ago and the rabbit is alive and healthy today.

Just keep an eye on your rabbit, maybe feed more hay and less pellets for a day, to help flush it out, but I'm guessing your bun will probably be fine.

Yup. I had a rabbit several years ago that "unwrapped" some Christmas gifts from under the tree. (we were away and neighbors were bunny sitting) Apparently my bunny liked chocolate as much as me! Anyway, he did eat a bit but he seemed to handle it ok.

We were more careful afterward. Just keep an eye on his poos. Bunnies are sneaky little guys, aren't they?

Wondering more if it's pure dark chocolate that is deadly. i mean no animal should eat it. but if he's looking and feeling fine prob didn't get much of it. i'd just keep an eye out for any changes.

Was it milk chocolate? The toxins in chocolate that we worry about are the caffeine and the theobromine. Chocolates with higher amounts of cocoa are more toxic. It doesn't sound like she got enough to do any real harm to me.

Latest posts

Back