Worried-bunny not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment, you could also give him some simethicone. Bunnies frequently get painful gas, and this can happen too when too much bacteria are growing in the intestines. You can buy a liquid gas relief made for infants at a drug store (or some grocery stores) with the active ingredient simethicone. We recommend dosing 1ml every hour for the first 3 hours. Other things to relieve belly pain are offering a heat source, such as dry rice in a sock, microwaved for a minute or two, and gentle belly massages.

I am wary about simethicone because last time I gave it to him, in slightly less than the recommended dose, he had bad diarrhea for days. But thanks for suggesting the belly massages I will do that.

I just spoke to his vet and this was her take on the situation: She said it seemed he was handling this situation with gas better than last time when he wasn't eating at all and staying in his cage. She suggested not giving him critical care unless he stops eating the veggies. She wants to to monitor how much he is drinking. She also suggested the stomach massage.
She is going to see him this week to see what is going on.

madison7878 wrote:
I just spoke to his vet and this was her take on the situation: She said it seemed he was handling this situation with gas better than last time when he wasn't eating at all and staying in his cage. She suggested not giving him critical care unless he stops eating the veggies. She wants to to monitor how much he is drinking. She also suggested the stomach massage.
She is going to see him this week to see what is going on.
*Hugs*

That's good. Another thing that may help in the future (other than looking into the possibility of a clostiridium overgrowth to treat with metronidazole, which would be a good idea) is offering some Bene-Bac, which is a probiotic. It can be found in the dog and small animal sections of most big pet stores. It's also available in a horse form called Probios at most feed stores. It really helps my guys with any digestive upsets.

it sounds like you"re getting a lot of good advice already but I just wanted to ask you about your experiences with simethicone. When you gavie it are you absolutely sure it was JUST simethicone and not somethin like Mylanta with mangesium and aluminum hydroxide init ?

I have only heard of simethicone causing diarrhea in reading side -effects; never heard of it actually happening in a rabbit/
reasonn I'm asking is that it works so well here for gas...

keep us up-dated :)

Yes I am positive it was just simethicone, if anything I am extra careful with anything I give my bunnes. The vet said she had seen it cause diarrhea in a bunny once before. But he was fine until I gave it to him, it took him almost a week to have normal stools again.

I am sure it would probably be fine with my other bunnies, it could be it had this affect on Cadbury because he tends tobe hyper sensitive. In fact many bunny sites have recommended simethicone to mein the past because they had such good results with it.

I gave his a belly massage. His temp is still normal and when I showed him a "treat" (dill) he ran as fast as he could to get to it across his area. Even though he is still sitting at least he is moving a little.

Ok this is my last post today, thank you everyone for all of the advice and prayers. Cadbury ran around a little like usual before going in his cage for the night. He ate more veggies and I just checked on him and he was eating his hay (yay).

Latest posts

Back