Worried-bunny not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison7878

Reaction score

Himalayan dwarf, black and white, 4lbs, neutered

Age 12 years

My bunny Cadbury has had mucus in his stools on and off for a few years. I work with both a traditional and holistic vet, and certain natural treatments work for him and the mucus will stop for months at a time. Bloodwork shows nothing else physically wrong that would cause the mucus. He has been acting a little off the past few days, but nothing too unusual. I am concerned because today he won't eat and is just sitting hunched in the corner of his area.

He last used the litterbox last night, he is urinating normally. He normally eats carrots and timothy pellets and timoth hay. He was eating and acting normally last night.

He has never been oudoors and thee is nothing in his area that he could have eaten, it is totally bunny proof. I put in a call to his vet (she always returns calls, evens on holidays and weekends), but was wondering if maybe he should go to the er?

Ok sorry this is my second posting but I wanted to add more information. My bunny has always had digestive issues. Today he is sitting hunched in a corner. I offered him veggies and he ate them all, but his eyes are half closed and looks so uncomfortable. He hasn't really moved all morning. As soon as he is done eating I am going to take his temperature.

He is passing clear mucus, urinating. The mucus thing isn't new for him but the behavior definitely is.

He is 12 years old, himalayan dwarf, weighs 4lbs.

I am so worried. I have put in a call to the vet, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mady

I read your first post. I'm so sorry nobodys helped you yet. With it being a holiday weekend, that's probably why nobodys answered right away. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything. Does sound like a belly problem. Hope someone read this real soon. :) April

I combined the two threads because it will be easier to help you that way. I would try very hard to comunicate with the vet. Have you felt his stomech? Is it soft or hard?

His stomach feels ok, and he has been eating veggies all morning, even tossed the dish around when he was done. His temperature was normal too. He is still jst sitting there which has me concerned. STill haven't heard back from the vet, but she usually gets back to me same day, even on weekends and holidays.

What is his usual activity level? I have never had a bun that old so I don't know to much. Could be because I have only had buns alittle less than 4 years. :)

I wish I could help more, but has he had enough fluids? I know when my bunnies poops are a little off I give them some pinnapple or something fiberous and then give then a huge bowl full of water. I'm not sure if that would help Cadbury though... Sorry I'm not much help,

-TK

I thinkis stomach is bothering him again. I know he is very uncomfortable he is not acting like himself. I am going to keep an eye on him throughout the day, and depending on how he is I may take him to the vet tonight.

what does your vet usually give him? thinking maybe some pain relief if he is uncomfortable. The mucus doesn't sound to good though usually anything like that can be cleared with the right antibiotics. We use Septrin which is a pediatric medicine for any mucus/ cocci related issue.
Another thing that may be of use is pro biotics just generally to try to stop it from reoccuring :)

The holistic vet has given him natural supplements that usually work very well, and the traditional vet agrees with this course of treatment because it has been the most successful. The holistic vet is going to see him this week, she thinks he may have something else going on than what he is being treated for, I spoke to her yesterday before this happened.

Until this bun can get in to see the vet, I would be pushing fluids and probiotics. Get some unflavoured pedialyte (drink for dehydrated children) and start syringing him some.

I would also look for Benebac and Nutrical. Benebac is a very good probiotic and can be found an many petstores. Nutrical is a suppliment for dogs/cats, but it is very good for rabbits and can give them a little calorie boost as well as containing vitamin E which is good for soothing an irritated GI track.

There is a condition that is very common in Hotot's and is called megacolon (or something similar sounding...). Bunnies with this condition often have very sensitive tummies, trouble digesting too much carbs and protien. There have been several members of this board that have or have had bunnies with megacolon. That is something you can bring up to discuss with your vet.

--Dawn

Hi,

Any time you see mucus surrounding fecal matter.....it is always the sign of some type of irritation in the GI tract. If your vet were to culture this, the most likely issue would be a bacteria called Clostridium. Our response to this is a drug called Metronidazole (Flagyl). It is a type of antibiotic and will help control the Clostridium. But the main function of this drug is as an anti-inflammatory. I would not use other antibiotics such as Baytril (not effective against much of anything but certainly not appropriate in this situation) and I would avoid Sulfa drugs as they have a tendacy to be stressful to the beneficial bacteria. We have started using Metronidazole quite a bit in weaning cottontails....and use it in severe GI events in which we know we have major bacteria issues or we have mucus in the fecals. And make sure hydration is up to par.

Randy

Latest posts

Back