worried abt bun's declining health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24765

Reaction score
i'm worried my 7-year-old lop is on his last legs here. over the last couple days he's had multiple seizures & each one seems to result in him losing more control of his limbs. he can barely push himself around on his back legs, his front paws work intermittently, & he's seemed a little more out of his head after each one. i've never had to witness any of my pets dying before, and we dont want to take him down to the vet to euthanize him as the car ride would likely give him a heart attack, so if this is the end of the line for him i'd really appreciate any suggestions on what i should expect. i know rabbits/bunnies can scream and spasm when they die, is that always true or is there any chance of him going peacefully?

Hershey had a seizure that lasted about 15 seconds, when it stopped he was dead. He had been on some pretty good pain meds for a couple of weeks prior.

I'd suggest calling your vet and see if you can at least get some pain meds to keep him comfortable until he passes.

Where I live I think I could get a vet to come to my house to give either pain meds or euthanize. I live in a place where there are lots of farms and if there is a farm vet in your location they have to always leave the practica and go to the horse or sheep or cow. So call some vet practices and see if you can get someone to come to you.

I agree I would try and get a home visit for a euthanasia, it’s the kindest thing if he is stressed and suffering.

I'm so sorry :( Its a very difficult decision to have to make. Is there anything the vet can do to stop the seizures and give him a chance to recover? Its hard to know when to say goodbye.

Latest posts

Back