worried about stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aromaangel

Reaction score
Thumper has stopped eating numerous times in the past so I always have a stock of biolapis, syringes and infacol. I've always managed to get him eating within a few hours of starting treatment, but he'not responding as well this time.

Hes 4 years (almost!) old, agouti minilop.

I managed to get him to eat two leaves of mint (grown for the bunnies so they are used to it as treats) about 3 hours ago, but no more voluntarily. I started him on the biolapis and have been giving that every hour (so he has since peed!), I have also crushed a couple of his science select pellets with water and have been syringing this every half hour or so. I try and make him move for 10 minutes at least once an hour by pestering him and have been massaging his belly. I also gave him 0.5mg infracol about 2 hours ago.

He still seems unable/willing to move and wont eat or drink voluntarily.

My problem is that I have had to take pills that make me drowsy, but unfortunately also give me mild akathasia (need to move) unless I take a sedative. I dont want to take the sedative if there is too high a risk he will die. Having helped him through this situation before, i know that it is very serious when they don't eat but do you think I have done enough that he will be alright for the next 4 hours?

I've always stayed up all night with him before, until I can take him to get the injection.

Do you think that because he managed two leaves earlier on and he's had fluids and pellets by syringe that I would be alright to take the sedative?

Many thanks guys
lisa

Hi angieluv, thank you so much for your replies unfortunately my internet stopped working on my laptop and I didn't want to crank up the old PC (verrry slow).

I stayed up with Thumper for another couple of hours and my mum took over at 3.30am for two hours so I could rest which really helped. I took over again at 5.30 and coaxed him into eating some grass, mint and carrot (all his favorite treats). He's stopped eating again now (midday) and his vets appointment is at 2.20pm (earliest emmergency appointment I could get due to staff illness).

He's peed but hasn't pooped yet so definitely needs the injection. He's still very weak but is at least trying to move out the way when I collect him for feeding which is a good sign and he attempts to clean his mouth up when I put him back down again - again a good sign.

I am worried it took him so long to eat this time, its happened 6-8 times in the past but never lasted this long.

Thanks again for your replies and I am sorry I didn't answer.

Love lisa, honey and a weak but fightin' Thumper x

Can you also syringe him some fluids. I use the electrolyte drink for children; here it is called Pedialyte.I believe that it is Diorlyte in the UK ; hydration is very imporant in stasis.

Hi angieluv,

Yeah the bio lapis is a rehydration treatment for rabits here in the uk, its a powder you mix with water and syringe to the rabbit and also helps restore electrolytes etc. Its the first thing I give him when he stops eating like this so I tend to have at least a couple of sachets to hand (1 per 24 hours).

I got him to the vet earlier and he said that his tummy seemed fine now, not bloated or anything so he gave him the injection just incase. We've since had many poos and eaten lots of grass when put back in their pen.

Thanks for your help xx

aromaangel wrote:
Hi angieluv,

Yeah the bio lapis is a rehydration treatment for rabits here in the uk, its a powder you mix with water and syringe to the rabbit and also helps restore electrolytes etc. Its the first thing I give him when he stops eating like this so I tend to have at least a couple of sachets to hand (1 per 24 hours).

I got him to the vet earlier and he said that his tummy seemed fine now, not bloated or anything so he gave him the injection just incase. We've since had many poos and eaten lots of grass when put back in their pen.

Thanks for your help xx
do you monitor the gitract with a stethascope.??-has the bun had a mouth/teeth exam recently.??..the dvm gave him an injection of what.??.rehydration and lots of grasses was an excellent benefit..the powder sounds like an electrolyte,,it all worked,,thats-great...here is a website for future reference Http://www.medirabbit.com or http://www.mybunny.org ,,-sincerely james waller

Hi James,

The vet had a good old listen with the stehascope and gave him a dental exam and it was all fine. I can't remember what the injection was Thumper was given, but he has it each time this happens - I thinks its to stimulate the appetite.

I think I was so tired from my meds the other night and could feel my self falling asleep and tripping over things I worried that I would fall asleep for too long and he would die from dehydration or stasis and I wouldnt wake up to help him. I guess I wanted to know based on what I had been giving him how long I could leave him before he needed more rescue solution - just incase I did fall asleep.

Luckily my mum stepped up and took over the half hourly feedings so I could have a couple hours sleep.

Today he is as ravenous as ever and is bounding around with Honey like nothing has happened :D

Thanks for the links though, I will take a look now and note things down on cards for the next emmergency.

Thanks guys x

Latest posts

Back