Worried about seizure like attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonaar

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have 2 dwarf bunnies, and 1 of them just had what can only be described as some sort of seizure. I have no idea what triggered it, but I heard a noise coming from their housing and then I saw the female bunny running around, then after a few seconds her head went up in the air and her mouth was open and it looked as if she was choking on something or gasping for air, I'm not sure. She then jumped up and fell on her side and for a moment looked unable to get back up. She then ran into a box and kept on running into the wall of the box in a panicked state, after wich she laid down and just lied there without moving. After a few minutes she slowly started moving around again, and now about 10-15 minutes later she is acting as if nothing happened.
They both are almost one year old.
I also noticed that during the "attack", she urinated aswell.

These are the first bunnies I have ever owned and I'm far from an expert, so first thing tommorow I am going to take her to my vet.

Should I be worried about this? Is it a commun occurence among rabbits?

Thank you in advance for your time and reply.

Kind regards,
Lesly

Seizures aren't too common. There are several causes of seizures. Some of the more common causes would be due to trauma, a bacterial infection, the e. cuniculi parasite, or ingestion of a toxic substance. Your vet will need to do some testing to see if the cause can be determined.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

I haven't experience that personally so I think you should call your local vet and run the situation through the vet..
I hope everything is ok and please keep us posted...

Vanessa

I feel for you. That would be very scary to witness. I have no experience with that type of behavior in rabbits but I will be hoping for the best. I would definitely take the bun to the vets.

the running into a wall thing sounds remarkably like what can happen with E. cunniculi. Get your rabbit tested for that.

Thank you all for the replies and sympathy.
I have an appointment this evening with the vet, I will definitely ask her to check for E. cunniculi.

When I know more I will keep you posted.

You can't control yourself while having a seizure, so that explains the urinating. Some seizures are caused by stress, fear and etc. Do you think she could have been stressing about something. Could anything have frightened her? Hope she's okay. :)

Oh and when a big dog was standing by my rabbits run, (the dog got out of his yard) she ran into the run walls because she was so scared. It was weird, I'm starting to actually wonder if she had a seizure due to fear, but I'm not sure. Anyways, have a nice day. :)

As jbun Said this is not common , and in so many cases the cause will never be known,

but my first thoughts would be borrowing mange mites , horrible little microscopic creatures can often casue. Seizures , but they are usually easily treated , but Best Buy a vet in this case!

if you look on the link that is been given, !!!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I went to the vet last night and she thinks it might be some bacteria/parasyte that is causing the symptoms.
She gave me a deworming solution that I have to put on her tongue every day for 4 weeks and she also gave her a little cortisone to clear her head.

For now I have also seperated her from the male bunny, because he doesnt understand whats going on and keeps bothering her.

Fingers crossed, but she allready looks a lot more lively again!

I have a Netherland dwarf rabbit and he has seizures and he is on medication I’m really scared for him.

Latest posts

Back