Worried about Scone...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry for the bad news. I know you'll take the very best care of him that you can--I hope that your coworker can help too. It sounds like you have amazing vet care on your side too. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you two as well.

:clover:

Well, Scone's here in the office and received his first home-grown sub-q shot, and a traumatic thing it was for both of us. I held him while Lynda stuck him and eased the fluids in. I kept him tightly held in my arms and covered his head with one hand. He squeaked and squirmed a few times, but settled down when I talked to him. Scone got a few treats for his stress, and I'm going out to get a treat for myself now.

There is absolutely no way I could have done that myself. Over the weekend he's going to have to make do with flavored water - a few drops of vanilla extract plus a little Sweet'n'Low seems to work reasonably well as a substitute for cream soda.

MikeScone wrote:
Over the weekend he's going to have to make do with flavored water - a few drops of vanilla extract plus a little Sweet'n'Low seems to work reasonably well as a substitute for cream soda.

I was going to suggest vanilla instead of the cream soda.

We'll be keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.

I was wondering if it would be possible to hire a vet tech or a pet sitter to give you a daily hand... Amy (Amy27) was fortunate enough to find someone who would help her daily with Chase's sub-Qs (If I'm remembering correctly).

There may be an unemployed vet student looking for pocket change, or even a neighbourhood teenager that would be willing to help out... Will be keeping you and Scone in my thoughts :hug:

This is Scone rabbit who relaxes in your chair like he owns it isn't it? (remembering pics).

I'm very sorry to hear of his Kidney problems. This must be a very stressful time for both of you.

Stay lively, handsome Scone rabbit.

Jo xx

jcl_24 wrote:
This is Scone rabbit who relaxes in your chair like he owns it isn't it? (remembering pics).
The very same one...
scone_4877.jpg

I think the Adequan has made a huge difference. Scone has been much more lively this week, almost back to normal. His appetite is definitely returned - he's inhaled his morning salad every day, and has been wolfing down hay like it's going out of style.

He's even begun to jump up on things again. He hopped into bed with me for petting last night and this morning, for the first time in weeks. Today he hopped up in my lap when I was in the recliner to demand his share of my carrot snack, and he's been up and down on the sofa and his director's chair all day.

He went to work with me on Tuesday, which will have to be his last sub-q fluids until his vet appointment next Monday, since our office is closed today and tomorrow. I'm hoping that his improved attitude is a sign that his kidney problems are improving, too. We'll see next week...

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I was wondering if it would be possible to hire a vet tech or a pet sitter to give you a daily hand... Amy (Amy27) was fortunate enough to find someone who would help her daily with Chase's sub-Qs (If I'm remembering correctly).

There may be an unemployed vet student looking for pocket change, or even a neighbourhood teenager that would be willing to help out... Will be keeping you and Scone in my thoughts :hug:

Autumn is correct. I had a vet tech come to the house. Iemailed local vet offices and the local college.I actually had several people get back to me that was interested in coming to my house. The vet tech I decided to go with at first charged me $10.00 a visit but when Chase had to have them everyday she went down to $5.00 a visit.

That picture of Scone is adorable.

I've got good news, for once. Scone had his follow-up blood work and ultrasound today, and the results were fantastic. His prognosis is now "good".

The BUN and creatinine levels are back down - BUN went from 63 to 32 (29 is normal, but the vet said 32 is fine) and creatinine went from 5.0 to 2.0 (normal is .5-2.5). The ultrasound showed that the kidneys and ureters were almost normal in size, and the stones were not visible at all. The vet said the radiologist was amazed at the improvement. There's still some mineralization in the right kidney, but it appears to be of a sort which isn't going anywhere and isn't dangerous. He's regained a few ounces of the weight he lost - still under 5 pounds, but not by much.

I'm supposed to reduce the Adequan to once a week for the next month, and if he's still doing well it will be cut back further to once every two weeks from then on. The vet said to give sub-q fluids twice a week for a month, also. We have an appointment on December 23rd to see if everything's still OK, and if so they'll discontinue the sub-q.

The vet's report ended, "Scone is a very sweet rabbit!" I agree.

LuvaBun wrote:
Will he still get to go to work with Daddy?
He still needs his sub-q shots twice a week, so he'll be going in at least that often. Besides, I think everyone at the office would miss him.

He's really made a hit at the Cornell clinic, too. It was kind of funny to watch the students and residents making a fuss over Scone. While I was getting his discharge instructions from the vet and making his next appointment, they were all petting him and talking to him.

That's soo good to hear Mike... I'm so relieved to hear that he is doing so well!!! HUGS to the little man please!!

Latest posts

Back