Worried about my daughter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkies

Reaction score
Here is her story. Sorry it is long. Also adding she is 6 today.

Ok. Olivia has had a headacheoff and on for two weeks. She is very lethargic, not eating. I have hadto pick her up from school more than once because of her headaches. Soyesterday I took her to a dr after having to pick her up. He said shemay have a sinus infection. Today, the teacher calls and says thatOlivia isnt herself. She is violent, screaming at the top of her lungsand throwing things at the other students. This raises a huge red flag.To me, my child has something wrong. She has had some serious symptoms.I take her to her regular dr. He does a normal physical exam and saysthere isnt anything wrong with her. I want bloodwork and a head CT. Ofcourse a regular exam isnt going to show if something is wrong in herhead. I dont expect a virus to make her have altered mental status. Iwant him to find out what is causing her to sleep all day, haveheadaches, not eat, and now become violent. I managed to get somebloodwork out of him. We go tomorrow first thing in the morning. Shewill be fasting. Does this sound normal at all to you? I am distraughtover worrying about her. Olivia is a bubbling, hyper, caring littlegirl. Not what she is like now.

Do you have a children's hospital in your areathat you can bring her to? I would insist to your familydoctor that he sends her to a Pediatrician.

I hope she gets better real soon.:pray:

Susan:bunnydance:

I agree with you...all those symptoms includingthe violent behaviour are symptoms of something affecting her brain. Istheir any way you could take her to a pediatric neurologist as he wouldknow how to handle your situation. It doesn't necessarily mean that itsserious but it should be addressed. A CT scan of her head and anEEGis a good idea..sometimes viral illnesses DO affect mentalstatus so that can't be ruled out..let us know

Something does not seem right,because a 6 year old child should not be getting so many headaches,to me that is not normal

How is Olivia when she is home?

I will be keeping Olivia in my thoughts

Keep us updated!

cheryl

At home, all she wants to do is sleep or "laydown". She only eats a bite or two of anything, doesnt matter if it isjunk food, good food or anything. She gets the headaches and is sooooolethargic I have to carry her.

Thank you for the link! It isn't as scary as ithas been because she isnt having most of those symptoms. Although I amnot going to just let it go.

I mentioned your situation to my husband, who'sbeen a dr's assistant in the past and has a VAST amount of healthknowledge from it, and here's what he thought of...

Could it be that there's either something in her environment or thatshe's eaten on a regular basis that she's now allergic to?

His other thought is this: my husband mentioned that he used to know agirl (she was actually the same age as your daughter) that hadsomething called Candida, where she basically had a yeast infectionthroughout her entire body, and she had to have a special diet forit. He said that she would act just like you're describingwhen she was off that special diet (that was made up of food thatdidn't contain anything that could feed the yeast). Maybehave the dr check for that?

Is she currently on any medications?

maherwoman wrote:
I mentioned your situation to my husband, who's been a dr'sassistant in the past and has a VAST amount of health knowledge fromit, and here's what he thought of...

Could it be that there's either something in her environment or thatshe's eaten on a regular basis that she's now allergic to?

His other thought is this: my husband mentioned that he used to know agirl (she was actually the same age as your daughter) that hadsomething called Candida, where she basically had a yeast infectionthroughout her entire body, and she had to have a special diet forit. He said that she would act just like you're describingwhen she was off that special diet (that was made up of food thatdidn't contain anything that could feed the yeast). Maybehave the dr check for that?

Is she currently on any medications?
I was thinking of Candida or a wheat allergy/intolerance as well:

http://www.foodintol.com/wheat.asp
http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/stomach/celiac.html

or sometimes people could have a bad batch of food, such as wheat bread, that can cause neurological symptoms.

I would definitely have him check her glucose levels among other things mentioned in the articles.

Good point! Maybe it could besomething at the school, since her symptoms are more prominent whenshe's there? Good thinking, lalena!

lalena2148 wrote:
or sometimes people couldhave a bad batch of food, such as wheat bread, that can causeneurological symptoms.

Binkies...there could be a myriad of things thatcould be causing your daughter's symptoms...many diseases, allergiesand viruses can imitate one another. I think you're absolutely right tokeep insisting the doctor run tests and rule out anything that wouldrun parallel with the symptoms she is displaying, especially to findout why the sudden change in her personality. If your doctor doesn'tshow the interest, take her to a hospital (if possible) and insist theygive you some answers there. At the very least, your mind will be putat ease, and if anything is found, she can be diagnosed and treated.Sometimes doctors really have to be pushed in order to get them tolisten...:?

***On a sidenote: As for Candida, I have that in my system...I had asevere case several years ago. Actually, they say that an enormousnumber of people have candida overgrowth for most of their lives andnever realize it, yet they encounter all sorts of minor health issuesand cannot figure out what is making them sick. Candida albicans cancause all sorts of vague symptoms, including depression, nausea,infections, headaches, some memory loss or 'brain fog',intestinal pain, diarrhea, constipation, thrush, etc. etc. The way Idealt with it was to go through a body cleanse...I cut out everythingfrom my diet that could have started it in the first place. The biggestculprits were wheat, 'white' foods (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes,etc.), and all processed sugars. It can make one's life prettymiserable when left undiagnosed. And to this day there are still manydoctors who refuse to even recognize it as existing.

Hopefully the doctor will be able to give you some solidanswers...please keep us posted, and I will be sending loving thoughtsher way...:heart:

She is doing very well today. Pretty normalactually. She was very placid when they drew her blood. But after anhour or so she was good. I keep joking that she just had a vile toomuch blood. Hopefully she will continue to improve. We go to the dr onMonday to get the bloodwork results.

I have a sister that is concerned about diabetes. She taught a younggirl that also had the same symptoms that came about suddenly. That iswhat they found wrong with her.

Back from what seems like our 100th dr.visit. Her full blood screening turned out normal.She has an appointment with a neurologist on January 2 to find out whyshe is having the headaches.

I'm glad that you have an appt with aneurologist..I really hope that she improves on her own . Hang inthere..you must be very stressed from this. We'll be thinking of bothof you here on RO:hug:

Liv's teachersaid she was strange today. Forgot what day it was, how to write hername, and was wondering around lost

Does she have access to any medication or evendrugs from older siblings? This behaviour is very serious. I would takeher to athe neurologist as an emergency as she needs a fullwork-up. I don't mean to overly alarm you but this is truly not normalunless she is taking some medications or drugs or possible beingaccidentally poisoned by something(carbon monoxide)??

Latest posts

Back