Worried about my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremysmom

Reaction score
My poor Jeremy has been out of it since Friday, he's usually so active and a big trouble maker but he's just been down for the count with these tummy issues. We've been to the vet, got medicine, done the gas medicine, he's eating his greens a bit (no where near the crazy appetite he usually has), drinking a bit (although we've been trying to push water) but he's just not going to the bathroom well. His poop (sorry for this) is huge when it comes and gross. I know it's good that things are moving again but I'm just worrying this is taking along time for him to bounce back from this. Is this normal? He's probably only a little over a year (adopted though so hard to know for sure). Should he still be so low energy? I mean he comes out of his cage a bit and walks around but this is a bunny who usually runs full speed from one end of the apartment to the other to entertain himself. Sorry for the rant, just worried for my bun.

Thanks all!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! I'm a new bunny mom, so I cannot offer any help. However, I do offer a prayer for your sweet bun. I hope he heals up soon, and gets back to his bouncing self!

When my bunnies have had stasis its lasted almost a week several times. (Meaning they'd poop a little but went on for a week). Have you given Jeremy and Oxbow Critical Care? It helps alot (at least with my buns). Are you still giving the simithicone? Give as many greens as possible. Different kinds/assortment help a bunch too. I sprinkled shredded carrot on to provide interest. Push as many greens as possible. Did the vet give any sub-q fluids? That also was a huge help with one of mine when she had stasis.

Keep him eating and drinking, offer as much as you can. Soak the veggies down before you offer to add a bit of extra water to the diet. Dont force feed food or water unless he has stopped eating, this can cause more harm then good as its very stressful for the bunny.
Try adding a digestive supplement to the mix like Acute Care or Florentero or Bene Bac. (first 2 should be available at most vets or they can offer you a simlar type product as a solution as they should all be sending clients home with products like this for any dog/cat with diarrhea issues, unsure where you can get the bene bac in person, petco may have it)
http://www.florentero.com/en/hp_en.html
http://www.centaurva.com/GastroIntestinal.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/14786/PetAg-Small-Animal-Bene-Bac-Beneficial-Bacteria.aspx

It really depends on whats causing the stasis - there are many causes. Viral infections are common at this time of year and a common cause of stasis. However, congenital conditions or damage to the intestines may cause more serious health issues.

Latest posts

Back