Worried about Molly (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinmoveit

Reaction score
I volunteer on Fridays from 9-5. When I left, Molly was running around as usual, eating well and fully active. She is very young, about 2 months old, and is a rambunctious little girl. She isn't very social and would prefer to binky around than be held.

When I returned, her coat on her sides was ruffled and wet and she seemed distressed. She isn't laying out like she typically would either. After an inspection, she doesn't seem to have anything physically wrong on the outside. Inspecting the cage, there is no tuffs of hair anywhere to indicate anything happened.

I have separated her from Buck for the night. So i can see if she poos, pees, eat. What should I look for over night? The closest emergency rabbit vet for the weekend is over 4 hours away.

I am worried about GI stasis. With the vet being so far away, is there anything I can do from home?

My vet didn't have any critical care when I was last there and would call me when they did. I can get pedilyte. She is drinking fine. I haven't seen her munch on anything, but I don't know if it's been long enough for me to be sure. I do have a history about being over worrisome about pets and exaggerating situations. I don't know if I'm just looking for something to be wrong.

If this is stasis, what is the timeline for her decreased appetite for this to be an issue. Also, is there anything I can do until I get to the vet? Like I said it's pretty far away.

No more guessing games, I'm heading to the ER vet in GR. They said with her age and the fact she hasn't eaten at least since 5pm, there is something going on that they need to look at. Pray for her!!!!

Molly has passed away. On the way to the vet, she had a seizure or two and we list her. The vet was kind enough to examine her anyway to.see I'd they could find the cause. They did feel some.gas, but did not believe it.was the issue because of how fast this all progressed. The only thought was some congenital issue. Also, the fact that she was taken from her mom too young.

My concern now is for Buck. They were a bonded pair. It was love at first sight for him. What effect cm loosing a bomdmate have on him?

So sorry for your loss. I am new to bunny life so I do not have much advice... Anyone wanna share whether its best to get him a new friend and if so how soon? I know with dogs it is best to replace a friend (best for the dog) because it helps with lonesomeness and takes their mind off their missing half but not sure about bunnies. I hope your other bunny does not grieve too hard.

I'm so sorry. She knew you did the best for her & were trying to get her help.

Let Buck be your guide as to what he needs. He probably needs to grieve before thinking about another bond. Then speed dating would be in order. Love at first sight can happen again.

I contacted the lady that originally had Molly, who then in part got ahold of the lady that gave her away. I wanted to make sure the other owners of the bunnies were aware in case they saw any of the same trends. Turns out Molly was the runt of the litter. She has one other female that is the same age, but was kept with the mother longer (actually, the mother lives with them still)

She has offered to let me take the remaining female. Sentimentally, I would like to have Molly's sister. Should I worry that this is a genetic trait if no other of the siblings have had any issues?

erinmoveit wrote:
I contacted the lady that originally had Molly, who then in part got ahold of the lady that gave her away. I wanted to make sure the other owners of the bunnies were aware in case they saw any of the same trends. Turns out Molly was the runt of the litter. She has one other female that is the same age, but was kept with the mother longer (actually, the mother lives with them still)

She has offered to let me take the remaining female. Sentimentally, I would like to have Molly's sister. Should I worry that this is a genetic trait if no other of the siblings have had any issues?
Runts do have issues, that's why they are runts. Some do well, and others unfortunately don't. If no other siblings have had any issues, IMHO, I would take Molly's sister.

Good for you for letting all know about what Molly went through.

K:)

The more I think about it, the most I like the idea of having her sister. I think it will be easier for me to get another knowing that it was someone closely tied to Molly. Unfortunately, this is the hard part of having a beloved pet. This is the best case scenario for me to grieve for Molly and to get Buck a bondmate. I will allow him his time to grieve. They will be kept separate for a while until I can see how Buck reacts to being a lone. I can tell today that he is mourning and is missing someone to snuggle with.

Anyone had to bond their rabbit in a new bond? Is it harder because there was a previous bond?

Latest posts

Back