Worried About Color of Urine...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Roscoe is still peeing outside the litter box, every other day or so. I"m worried about the color cause I know his sisters urine is yellow, but Roscoes looks orangish/reddish. Does NOT look like blood. I don't know how long it's been like this.

His diet is alfalfa/Timothy pelletscause I'm switching him over to timothy. He has had parsley, cilantro, kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens in the past. I give Timothy hay, orchard grass and Botonical hay.

I don't know what in his diet would change his pee. Why is Suzi's yellow and Roscoe's different? Should I call vet?

Thanks, :)April

Urine colour from clear to yellow to redish-orangish is normal. As long as the rabbit is not straining to urinate or having a thick white toothpaste consistency urine.

Different rabbits do have different urine and it is okay. Different metabolisms and some have different reactions to food.

As long as everything else is normal with Roscoe, I wouldn't worry.

--Dawn

I would move the box to where he is peeing. I doubt he is ill, but peeing outside the box on a regular basis can be an early sign of a urinary tract infection. If you move the box, and he still isn't very good at peeing in the box, there may be an issue there. Just something to check.

I agree that the color sounds ok.

The vet called me back about it and he wants to a urinalysis. Do you think it's necessary?

It could end up costing me $200 +. Ecspecially if they send out the urine.

I don't know what to do! :(

I just started reading your blog and Roscoe is a new-ish guy, with mobility issues, right? It possible he's just not litter trained quite yet. Also, is there a lower side on the litterbox so that he can get in? Does he still sleep in the box?

Yes, Roscoe is my 3 legged man. He jumps in and out of the litter boxes just fine. He can even jump to the 2nd story with 3 legs. The litter boxes don't have real high sides.

When they first got here, they didn't use the litter box that well. Then for a few days they did good til I took them to the vet. Then he started peeing on the floor again. He only pees on the floor like every other day. They both still poo on the floor though.

Ok. If he doesn't sleep in the box anymore, that's good, he doesn't think it's a bed. However it sounds like he's trying to pee in the box but can't. I guess I'd just keep a close eye on it for the next week, especially if his urine gets swirls of blood, strange smell, extra white stuff, he strains or shows signs of pain. A urinalysis can be quite expensive, but a bladder infection can be really bad too.

No, it can be treated. A course of antibiotics would be prescribed, and you'd have to push the fluids for a little while (add a bit of cranberry to one bowl, etc). A UTI is different from a chronic sludge problem.

Thank you. :)That makes me feel better!! Their gonna test his urine tomorrow. I have to drop him off for the day, cause they have to work him in. I'll post when I find out the results! Thx!!

Roscoe's urine came back fine! :)They looked at his ears too.

RE-CHECK: His ears still have wax in them so their gonna clean his ears and perscribe a different ear drop!

Should I be worried about the ears? the ears were fine, not inflamed. They just could see debri (sp?) I guess from ear wax.Could it be he can't clean that well with missing a back leg? I didn't see doc. He checked his ears while he was there (drop off) He gave me different med. for ears

Thanks, :)

I have heard of bunnies missing a back leg having ear wax issues before. I thought that you were just supposed to help them by cleaning it out a bit, but I don't have any experience. I would start a new topic about cleaning ears for bunnies who aren't able too--somebody like TreasuredFriend who has a lot of experience with bunnies who can't use one or both back legs can probably give you better advice there.

Latest posts

Back