Worried about bunny’s poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Kimball

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just got an 8 week old bunny last Saturday. Today I noticed some weird poop in his cage that stinks.. idk if I would consider it diarrhea but it doesnt look like the cecotropes he had the other day. Maybe he is getting more pellets than he is used to? he is on the same brand that the breeder was feeding him though. He also spills his water bowl a lot and some poop is on the bottom of his foot so maybe he squished it? Sorry for the gross pic, but should I bring him to the vet?

Attachments

• 21DD7873-80B6-4749-9392-8C0F5E85ABA9.jpeg
    21DD7873-80B6-4749-9392-8C0F5E85ABA9.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 20
If he is acting normal I would not be worried, but if his appetite changes at all let us know.

Okay thanks! I think maybe ive been giving him too much of his feed so I’m gonna cut back on that and try to get him to eat more hay. I think he was eating more feed than hay!

Yeah, I would remove all pellets and only offer him hay for about a week. After that add pellets back slowly. He should only be getting 1/4 cup of pellets daily right now so if he is eating more pellets then hay, he is getting too many.

No. He can eat more than 1/4 cup of pellets because he is only 8 weeks of age. Adults should be limited to about 1/4 cup per day.

However, since he is eating more pellets than hay, it would be a good idea to cut back the pellets (don't stop them completely). You want him eating about his body size in hay every day. Pellets are so tasty, they sometimes favor them over the hay. But we want them eating lots of hay.

As for his spilling his water bowl, you might consider a bowl that twists onto a clamp. Those can't be spilled.

Attachments

• water bowl.png
    water bowl.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 1
No. He can eat more than 1/4 cup of pellets because he is only 8 weeks of age. Adults should be limited to about 1/4 cup per day.

However, since he is eating more pellets than hay, it would be a good idea to cut back the pellets (don't stop them completely). You want him eating about his body size in hay every day. Pellets are so tasty, they sometimes favor them over the hay. But we want them eating lots of hay.

As for his spilling his water bowl, you might consider a bowl that twists onto a clamp. Those can't be spilled.

okay thanks! Yeah I read that babies could have more pellets and that some people even do unlimited pellets so I was trying to be lenient with it. My 1 yr old bun gets 1/8 cup in the morning and at night!

But yes, I think he is still getting used to the hay feeder that I have for him too. He seemed to eat a lot more hay tonight than I’ve seen him do this week so that’s good!

As for the water dish, I think I am okay to just take it out. I had a water bottle and a water bowl because I wasnt sure what he was used to, but I’ve seen him use both so he should be fine with just the water bottle!! I might have to purchase that for my other bunny though, she’s been big on redecorating her cage at night lately😂😂 she spills everywhere!!

I'd encourage you to keep a bowl for both rabbits. Rabbits drink more from a bowl and it is a more natural way for them to drink. Plus you won't have to worry about clogged or malfunctioning parts.

Not sure what hay feeder you have, but it's a good idea to be sure it has very large openings. Most feeders that come with cages are woefully small and have too small openings. Check here for some examples of good hay feeders that allow easy enough access so bunny doesn't have to work so hard to get hay. If they have to work for it, they are less likely to eat enough.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/hay.html

Hi guys! I just got an 8 week old bunny last Saturday. Today I noticed some weird poop in his cage that stinks.. idk if I would consider it diarrhea but it doesnt look like the cecotropes he had the other day. Maybe he is getting more pellets than he is used to? he is on the same brand that the breeder was feeding him though. He also spills his water bowl a lot and some poop is on the bottom of his foot so maybe he squished it? Sorry for the gross pic, but should I bring him to the vet?
What is the colorful pieces in the poop? Looks like plastic or material??

The water issue, petland sells "ergonomic" ceramic water dishes that have a lip at the top inside for if they kick their water. Aswell as a dipped kind of neck for easy drinking. Would agree with other user to have more than one for more than one bunny. Poop that does not come out in pellet form or is soft could mean alot of things. With such a young bunny, he may be not eating enough hay. Also could be eating too many fruits and veggies? If you feed him any at all it should be low low amount per day. Keep in mind an adult rabbit can have UP TO a cup a day. But your little potatoe shouldn't have much at all. It may be too many treats, or it could even be the litter going through his body if that's not what hes used to. With such a small one there could be ALOT of reasons for poop that's soft. I would just watch his intake of certain things and how much of his litter hes eating for a couple days, and if he is functioning normally, doesnt seem to be draggy or I'll then you might be able to figure out where there is something too much or too little that he is getting to. But push the hay!!! LOTS OF HAY IS GOOD! no matter the size of the rabbit, hay regulates their systems.
Goodluck.

The water issue, petland sells "ergonomic" ceramic water dishes that have a lip at the top inside for if they kick their water. Aswell as a dipped kind of neck for easy drinking. Would agree with other user to have more than one for more than one bunny. Poop that does not come out in pellet form or is soft could mean alot of things. With such a young bunny, he may be not eating enough hay. Also could be eating too many fruits and veggies? If you feed him any at all it should be low low amount per day. Keep in mind an adult rabbit can have UP TO a cup a day. But your little potatoe shouldn't have much at all. It may be too many treats, or it could even be the litter going through his body if that's not what hes used to. With such a small one there could be ALOT of reasons for poop that's soft. I would just watch his intake of certain things and how much of his litter hes eating for a couple days, and if he is functioning normally, doesnt seem to be draggy or I'll then you might be able to figure out where there is something too much or too little that he is getting to. But push the hay!!! LOTS OF HAY IS GOOD! no matter the size of the rabbit, hay regulates their systems.
Goodluck.

I haven’t given him any fruit or veggies yet because I thought he was too young!! I think you are right though, I think he wasn’t eating enough hay. I cut back a little on pellets and he has eaten a lot more of his hay in the past day. I haven’t seen any weird poop today. Hopefully we’re in the clear!

A 1/4 cup of pellets is PLENTY to fill and refill the tummy. Keep on the hay. Sounds like your doing a great job. Keep it up!

Oh! And aswell, when starting fruits or veggies, they can never have too little! Start small. A leaf of lettuce here and there is plenty to start throughout a week. Just watch the poop when you do. Too much will cause too soft(blob like like this pic) or will start coming out log form. Not individually. It's all about the poops..unfortunatly. lol

Thanks for the advice!! I’ll probably wait a little before introducing veggies to him just in case, but I will definitely start small. And I will definitely have to check out those water bowls especially for my other bun!

I found that same kind of poop in my other rabbit’s cage (1yr old female). They live separate right now because he is a baby. She could have been exposed to his poop though. Could it be a parasite!?

I think it is the brand of pellets you are feeding them. I would slowly swap your buck's pellets over to Small Pet Select timothy pellets, and feed him alfalfa hay (since he is a baby).
I would feed your doe a Timothy Hay only diet for a week.

Latest posts

Back