Worried about Abby (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momof2buns

Reaction score
:tears2:I'm worried about Abby... I've noticed a decline in her appetite for the past month, she never cleans up her bowl like she used to. I wasn't too concerned as she still was eating/pooping/drinking and very active-no signs of illness, just not as hungry. Nowthis past weekher bottom has gotten really urine stained and I'm *really* puzzeled as to why. She goes in her litter pan which has wire she sits on to go potty-so nothing is touching her, no accidents on the floor so it can't be because she was sitting in urine-even though that's definately what it looks like. It's Not poop, she has normal solid poops-it's urine, dark urine.

:ponder: Anyway, I palapated her and felt a hard knot near her bladder area, it could be her uterus though? I know she isn't spayed yet, no vets here will do it so we'll have to travel to get her done now that I'm out of school. Currently, she hasn't touched her foodthis morning and her poops are tiny. She is active though...I got a picture of her binkying yesterday. *sigh* I think I need to get her to a vet today, I'm really worried you guys...please pray for her!!!

Link to picture of her bottom *Warning* it looks pretty bad-she got a buttbath right after.

http://llking.smugmug.com/photos/537792889_NeXgr-M.jpg

ETA other info:

- Description (Breed, color., weight)- Netherland dwarf, REW, 2 pounds

- Age - 2 years

- spayed/neutered? - no, she had issues of never being able to concieve and so she was given up for adoption-that's how I got her

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? No
- When did they last use their litterbox? This morning
- Any unusual behavior? lack of appetite, urine incontinence maybe? She has urine stainsbadly

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? No

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? DuMor Show rabbit
- when and what did s/he eat last? last night

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? acts very stiff in the back legs, but Very active like normal

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? No

She really needs to see a vet ASAP but you already know that.

I would give her a lot of fresh hay and her regular pellets and observe her drinking habits. If she is not drinking either flavor her water in a crock with apple juice or get pedialyte and syringe feed her pedialyte.

if she is not drinking enough her urine could be dark but could also be dark with all kinds of problems including kidney and liver.

A vet will be able to palpate the mass that you felt and determine what it could be.
She could have a bladder infection
E-cuniculi

it is difficult to know without a physical exam , x-rays and blood panel.
If she is only 2yrs old it is not usual for a rabbit that young to get uterine cancer but not impossible,

you will need to syringe feed her food if she is not eating, or tempt her with a favorite green.

if you have critical care you can use that, otherwise use canned pure pumpkin and make a wet gruel out of her pellets to syringe her.

if her GI tract shuts down it will be another major issues.

Does she feel warm; do you know how take her temp.

When can you get her to a vet?
having not eaten normally for the past several weeks is 'tip off' that a problem was beginning so this isn't really something that just came on.
please let us know how she is doing but please try to get her to a vet so that she can be properly diagnosed.

took her to the vet about 4 hours ago. she had chronic renal failure. vet thinks she was much much older than 2. bloodwork was done and xray showed grossly abnormal kidneys with calcification. she did have the classic signs- drank a LOT, loss of appetite, the stiffness, and urine scalding. she also had a tumor, it was fairly small i dont know how this could be. i made the decision to put her to sleep -the prognosis was poor. denied an autopsy. can't believe this has happened. sorry i won't be responding much, im so upset right now
i cant stop crying- this was MY Girl, MY Abby, this was Not the time for her to leave ME!!!!!!

gonna be gone for a little while, I really can't deal with this right now

I am so very sorry about Abby very very sorry :(

The exact same thing happened to me with my rescue bunny Gabriel last summer.; he was under 2 yrs but had a past history of being starved and under hydrated.

he went into total kidney failure and I did exactly what you did ; had him PTS that day :cry1:

My heart goes out to you ...

very sad....
"Hugs"

Maureen

Oh nooooo! My heart just stopped again! I am so so sorry. She was such a beautiful girl. I'm going to pull the caption contest. I just can't believe she's gone. ...sob...

I am so sorry. You gave her a great life. I hope time heals your pain.

Binky free Abby :pink iris:

Latest posts

Back