Worms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momof2bunnies

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new here. I currently own 2 bunnies, Toffee and Dipper. Toffee is the bunny in question though.
Last night he passed what appears to be tapeworms, and also passed what looked like pinworms. I have both of them in a bag still for sake of knowing what they looked like. This is the first time he has passed any in the 8-9 yrs. I've had him. The tapeworms were still alive when they came out. I volunteer for a dog rescue and have done so for the past 8-9 yrs. I've seen many kinds of worms, and it appears what he passed is tapeworms and I think pinworms. For dogs we can give Nemex, Panacur, Drontel, Valbazen, and different things. But I wasn't sure with a rabbit what to give. I've read many different things on what can be given, but can't find an accuratedosage.

Here's the answers to the questions:

Location - North Carolina

Description (Breed, color, weight) - I'm unsure of breed but he is a medium size rabbit. He is a brown/black color and weighs probably 7-10 lbs. I can get an exact weight, I just don't have it now.

Age - I got him in 2001 or 2002 and I've had him since then. When I got him he was atleast a few months old. I think I got him in December of 2002. Would have to look back at his records.

Sex - Male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? - Normal, except the worms I found in his poop late last night.
- when did they last use their litterbox?- He doesn't use a litterbox, buthe used the bathroomoff andon all the time.
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? - No to all 3 of those.
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? - I have towels for him, with hay and grass. He's never eaten the towels and seems to do fine with them.

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? -No, but he has never been bred.
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? - No
- is s/he on any medications? - No

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? - Heeatsa good quality grass hay, alfalfa rabbit pellets,fresh grass, lettuce, carrots, bananas, peaches,and apples. Not all at once but I rotate them each day.
- when and what did s/he eat last? - Heatelastnight, and then this morning when I put him out to eat grass, he was eating then. He has not lost his appetite. Eats like a horse still!
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) - Nope

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? -He's still moving around the same.
- is the rabbit molting?- No
- any weight loss? -He has had some weight loss and I thoughtit was just old age. I never realized Rabbits would getworms like this. I had a male chocolate dutch rabbit named Oreo, who lived to be 10 or 11 yrs. old. Henever had worms to my knowledge and wasgenerally healthy.
- any sign of drooling? wet face?- Nope seems fine there too
- runny eyes?- Nope
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? - Nope
- is s/he breathing normally? - Yes

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? -No, hestays inside in a playard pen. So he hasa nice area to move around in.
- has the rabbit been outdoors?- Yes
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? - My other rabbit is fine, but she hasn't been around him as I obviously keep them seperate. She is a small female dutch rabbit, and he is a larger mixed breed male. Both are just pets, I don't want babies, so they stay seperate.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll gladly answer what I can. Letme see if I can dig a pic up and post one of him.

Thanks in advance!
Sharon

ETA: Here's2 pics of him from last Summer (he was fatter here thenhe is now, although he's not super thin now, just a little skinnier)-

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

Panacur is the drug of choice against most worms...and it is fairly benign so it is safe for rabbits. If this rabbit does have tapeworms...that brings on more talk. Would really consider having a fecal performed to see what shows up....but keep in mind that it may take several fecals to get a true picture.

Randy

I found this for Panacur

I know hundreds of people have used Panacur, as directed (our vets prescribe it at 20mg/kg once per day),
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2010/1/Please-ASAP-re-dangers-1.htm

Panacur will kill the tapeworms.
Perfect here you go...
  • # Passalurus ambiguus —rabbit pinworm located in cecum and large intestine. The infestation with these worms usually has no clinical signs, even in heavy infections. Treatment: Piperazine for two days in food or water; fenbendazole 50 ppm in feed for 5 days. Rabbits get infected through ingestion of contaminated food and water. spores are shed in the urine and can remain viable for months. Rabbit pinworms are not transmissible to humans. Pinworms are extremely common in rabbits and may be difficult to prevent even with good sanitation. # Taenia pisiformis, Taenia serialis, Cittotaenia variabilis—rabbit tapeworms. These parasites may be located in small intestine, liver or connective tissue of muscles. Signs may include loss of appetite, lethargy, enlarged abdomen and swelling under skin. Tapeworm are transmitted through ingestion of feed (especially grass) contaminated with eggs. The primary host of most tapeworms that affect rabbits is the dog. Rabbits should not be allowed to eat grass in area where dogs run. Rabbits are the primary host of Cittotaenia, but this tapeworm is usually found in wild rabbits, rarely domestic rabbits.
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/internal-parasites-rabbits.aspx

Latest posts

Back