worms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craven.44

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old rabbit who is primarily an outside rabbit. Yesterday, we brought her in and put her in her inside cage because it is getting really cold. I noticed that she has gotten very fat.

Now for my stupid question. I feel dumb asking this, I work for a vet and I should probably know. Anyway...

I noticed that something seems to be moving in Scarlett's abdomen. It is like a rolling movement. Is there any chance that this could be worms? I entertained the idea of a pregnancy, but she has had no contact with a male that I know of, the only way she could be pregnant is if a wild rabbit bred her through her hutch, which is raised about 2 feet off the ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will probably take her in to the vet just in case, but does anyone have any idea if worms can show externally? Her stools are normal, she eats normally, everything is normal except weird alien movement in her belly.

Thanks!!

That sounds like peristalsis (or owever it's spelt) which is completely normal bowel/gut movement :) It can be seen very prominantly in some bunnies, but less in others. It looks like a rippl going going down the body (head to tail direction). Does that help?

I guess it could be, but I really don't think do. I can't see it all the time and it moves in all different directions. I hope you are right, though. Normal GI movement would be a fantastic diagnosis! lol

Where abouts are you located?

The rolling sounds like it could be perastalis (no idea how to spell that). Its the gut moving the food through.

This rolling motion is also very common to see in pregnant rabbits which is caused by the fetus' kicking and moving.

But if your bunny has never been in contact with a male, then it is most likely her gut working to move her food.

Does she seem obese? Or just a bit round and fuller than before? Many rabbits will fill out in the winter to help keep warm. Not to mention their winter coats.

You need to be careful when bringing in your rabbit from the cold. She could over heat with her winter coat in the heated indoors. It is best to keep them as cool as possible while inside. A garage (not used for cars), or a cool basement is best.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back