Worms/Sludge?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty88

Reaction score

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description: Satin, about 7 3/4 lbs, Black coat with white ticking

Sex: Bilateral cryptorchid male, nuetered.

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: I already had an appointment made with my vet Dr. Stanzione for tomorrow morning, because I'd noticed that he'd been straining to pee a little bit and the litter in his litterbox appeared cemented together. I had him with me at my boyfriends house, which he is very used to, and noticed a really odd looking poop on the floor a few seconds after he moved. It was so strange that I grabbed a napkin and examined it, and noticed that it looked like a combination of dry poop and cecals smushed around it, and that there were what looked like celery fibers in it. Then I saw one of the fibers wiggle, realized they were all moving, and freaked out and immediately called my vet's office to ask if I should bring him in today. They told me tomorrow morning would be fine, but to keep the poop to bring in for them to look at.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Other than the worm-poop, all of his dry poops looknormal and are plentiful. He is still straining to pee somewhat.

- when did they last use their litterbox? Couple of minutes ago.
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? He has to strain to pee, butstill does so regularly and poops are plentiful.
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? layer of Carefresh and plenty of hay piled over it.

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? Neutered almost a year ago.
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? He's been to Dr. Stanzione for a check up, for his neuter, for a neuter follow up, and for a bout of gas and stasis in november most recently.
- is s/he on any medications? no.

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? he gets 1/3 of a cup of Oxbow Timothy pellets and a papaya tablet every morning, a big salad of escarole, romaine, chicory, parsley, and sometimes dill, and lots and lots of timothy hay, 1st and 2nd cut.
- when and what did s/he eat last? still eating normally at intervals like always.
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) no.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Moving normal, even did a ton of binkies a few minutes ago because he loves Matt;s room
- is the rabbit molting? He was up until about three weeks ago, shedding slightly on his chest.
- any weight loss? no.
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? no.
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? no sneezing, but i've noticed slight wetness just below his nostrils a cuple of times.
- is s/he breathing normally? yes, but I have heard him make an odd nasally grunt a few times while sitting upright, and then leaning forward, and ocking back and thumping really quickly, and I have no idea what its about.

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? Possibly, my basement hashouseplants but i watch him when he's down there.
- has the rabbit been outdoors?I had him outside a couple ofweeks agobecause the weather was perfect, and i'm worried this might be when he got the worms. There was a racoon who lived in a yard onmy block a few years ago, I'm not sure if theres still one around. :sigh:
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? a six year old Beagle, I haven't noticed anything with him but he has an appointment for a check up next week anyway.

What type of treatments should I be looking forward to? I've never encountered worms or bladder sludgein a rabbit before and I have no idea of what I should be doing for him. :/

Can anyone explain what 'flushing' a rabbit out entails? I've heard this is a pretty common treatment for sludge.

Well, it turns out he doesn't have sludge, so yay! He DOES have a pretty big infestation of pinworms. Dr. Stanzione gave him an Ivomectrin injection and sent us home with a dose of Revolution for me to apply in three weeks, and he should be all better. The odd posturing he was doing with his tail up was probably just because the worms were making him itchy.

I'm still super grossed out that my little boy has wormies! No idea how it happened, but according to Dr. Stanzione, he could have had worms since before I got him. I never would have known if I wouldn't have found that one poop with worms in it!

Dr. Stanzione also said if he had to choose a type of worms for him to have, it would be pin worms. They're the lesser evil in this case, I guess.

Oh, and I think I saw a picture of Shades on his computer in the examining room!

Latest posts

Back