Worms (Pinworms I think)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
Tonight when I had Ripley inside he was running around me (circling :p ) and pooping as he went. I was laying on the floor and when I looked up and saw bunny poop right infront of my face, I was suprised to see what looked like little white/clearish worms in it. Ewww!
I promptly took him out to his hutch and closed him in. I'd noticed he'd only eaten 1/4-1/2 of his food today when he normally eats it very quickly and was wondering about that.

The worms looked something very similar to this:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=67872&forum_id=16

I'm planning to take him to the vet in the morning. I assume I need to take a fresh fecal sample and just clean his cage really well?

Took Ripley to the vet this morning and it turns out he does have pinworms. They're doing some sort of fecal test and will get back to me to let me know if there's any others.

As of now, he didn't want to treat it because he said sometimes the dewormer causes more harm then good (unless the bunny is showing other symptoms such as diarrhea, not eating etc.) and he said pinworms don't really hurt them (and are pretty common in bunnies). I'll hear back tomorrow then probably and we'll figure out if we're going to get a dewormer. I'd Personally like to because I don't like him dropping worms around the house but if its going to upset his tummy deworming or whatever then I guess we won't.

Poor Ripley. I feel the same way about want to deworm (get those nasty things out of that sweet bunny) but you are truly smart to worry about side effects.

Hoping Ripley has no more nasty worms in his system.

Let us know what the Doc found.

K:)

Oh, also if anyone was wondering, a while ago I'd mentioned about Ripley having a wet chin. I had the vet check it while we were there and he said Ripley's teeth look GREAT! He thinks its just over chin rubbing with his water bottle as I've seen him doing that alot YAY!

I asked for a neutering estimate and it comes out to $450.00. As much as I'd like to have Ripey neutered, I don't think $450.00 is gonna fly. That's alot.

$450 is the highest, by far, for any neutering. Is your vet a vet to the stars or something?

And I've certainly never heard about a vet saying to ignore a parasitic infestation. Maybe others have.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Oh, also if anyone was wondering, a while ago I'd mentioned about Ripley having a wet chin. I had the vet check it while we were there and he said Ripley's teeth look GREAT! He thinks its just over chin rubbing with his water bottle as I've seen him doing that alot YAY!

I asked for a neutering estimate and it comes out to $450.00. As much as I'd like to have Ripey neutered, I don't think $450.00 is gonna fly. That's alot.
$450.00! Holy cow! My vet charged $45.00.

Well the neutering included bloodwork, pain meds after, etc. etc. The neutering itself was only $90 plus additional things on the list.

He's a very good vet-listed on the HRS and has been a bunny vet for over 25 years. We'll see what he finds in the fecal test. I have heard its normal for bunnies to have pinworms and that they're very difficult to get rid of.
-I more just don't enjoy finding pinworms on my clothe after holding Ripley.

Update on my lil' furbaby:

The vet's office called me back tonight about Ripley and he did test positive for pinworms (which the vet had already seen) and no other worms.

He does want to put Ripley on Panacur and also give it to Taffy preventativly/in case she has them. Then in a couple weeks he wants to do a fecal test for each of them to be sure we got it.

Hopefully Ripley will start eating a bit better once we start treating him-he's still been eating a little but instead of his usual charging the food and finishing it right up in several minutes, he lets most of it just sit there in his dish all day. Oh, and he gives his dish the ole' kickaroo and dumps it all over and just makes a mess of it.

I haven't really noticed any symptoms with Taffy but I'm very glad he's treating her as their hutches are right next to each other and they run in the same pen for exercise-it would be very easy for her to get them.

I'm glad they're getting treatment. I'd wondered if this was the same kind of pinworms that affect people. If so, it could be transmitted by touching any poop with worm eggs in them.

LakeCondo wrote:
I'm glad they're getting treatment. I'd wondered if this was the same kind of pinworms that affect people. If so, it could be transmitted by touching any poop with worm eggs in them.
What's the type of pin worms that affect people? Something people need to know. I would because I haven't researched all parasites that will affect my bunny, or myself for that matter.

ZRabbits wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
What's the type of pin worms that affect people?  Something people need to know.  I would because I haven't researched all parasites that will affect my bunny, or myself for that matter. 

I'm not sure what type can affect people (though I'd be curious to find out), but our vet did make it very clear that what Ripley has is not a type of pinworm we can get; only our other bunny can get them.

I'm glad to hear they are a different type of pinworms for rabbits & humans. An online search indicates the human kind are called Enterobius Vermicularis. The rabbit kind are called Passalurus ambiguus. [Say those names fast?]

Usually it's just children that get pinworms, due to poor hygiene. In developed countries, that is. Where water supplies are unsanitary, they'd be more common. But I know if I pick up a stray poop, I might touch my face before I wash up thoroughly. So glad to know no danger of worms that way.

LakeCondo wrote:
I'm glad to hear they are a different type of pinworms for rabbits & humans. An online search indicates the human kind are called Enterobius Vermicularis. The rabbit kind are called Passalurus ambiguus. [Say those names fast?]

Usually it's just children that get pinworms, due to poor hygiene. In developed countries, that is. Where water supplies are unsanitary, they'd be more common. But I know if I pick up a stray poop, I might touch my face before I wash up thoroughly. So glad to know no danger of worms that way.

Yay! Good to know.
Both buns just had their Panacur-now we just wait and see.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:

Yay! Good to know.
Both buns just had their Panacur-now we just wait and see.
Yep it is good to know. Thankfully I have a Water RO system. I know I'll have clean City water. Both for myself and definitely my bunnies. So no problem there. Plus it's the same Water RO used for my garden.

And also another question for Dr. Joe. Thanks for posting this Mia. Your experience with Ripley helped put an important issue out there for bunny owners to really think about.

Hoping Ripley is "worm free" in no time. And it keeps the worms at bay from Taffy.

How long has it taken your bunnies once you treated them with Panacur to be rid of the worms?

I treated Ripley like 6 days ago, and I'm still definitly seeing worms. They told me to do 2-3 treatments, I guess I was just expecting to see less worms by now. ?

This article on worms in rabbits is very interesting as is the discussion. Here at the Rabbit Rescue Sanctuary in NSW Australia we worm our shelter rabbits regularly. It is important to do this because worms can be transferred from rabbits to people and to children.

Here is another link to an exceptionally good article on rabbit worms that gives various products along with the doses and how to administer worm medicine to your rabbits.http://www.petdirectory.com.au/?page=Worming-Rabbits

Latest posts

Back