Worms in rabbit poop ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuysmom

Reaction score
I was looking at my new rabbits poop and I see these white clear things like worms . I got her at 6 weeks old she’s 12 weeks now . When she was 8 weeks old I took her to the vet and she got blood work , fecal smear & exam only thing that came back was coccidia which was treated for . No other pets . I have another rabbit but they make zero contact & she stays in her room all day ?!? how could she have gotten worms if it is ?! 4928504E-B4B4-47A9-8DE8-2C360AE85C95.jpeg

Sometimes things get missed on a fecal smear, they are typically looking for eggs, which can be very hard to spot, especially in samples rich in plant material, which is all rabbit samples. Often dogs and cats pick up worms from the mother, which would be my guess, but I have no way of knowing otherwise. Some worms have vectors such as fleas (tapeworms) or mosquitos. I'd call your vet, tell them what you've found (maybe even email the picture) and they will be able to prescribe a rabbit safe dewormer based on the kind of worms your bun has. It's hard to tell without seeing the eggs under a microscope, but they could be pinworms, hookworms, or roundworms. The vet may need to see your rabbit again and run another fecal sample. Best of luck, I'm sorry it happened!

Definitely call your vet though, it looks like worms and they will be able to confirm if that's the case and get it all taken care of!

Those look like pinworms, which is pretty easy to treat with fenbendazole. I use Safeguard liquid goat dewormer, but if you aren't familiar with deworming yourself or calculating dosage, it would be better to contact your vet and get the proper dose of dewormer from them. Usually it is given for one dose then repeated in 14 days, however I've read that pinworms can be difficult to clear up and dosing for 5 consecutive days works better.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm (pinworms in rabbits )

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/rabbits/parasitic-diseases-of-rabbits

Latest posts

Back